Register now to get rid of these ads!

Route 56 Spring metalshaping event in Mn

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rouye56wingnut, Jan 31, 2013.

1. rouye56wingnut

rouye56wingnut
    from mn.

Set your calenders to April 25 - 27 2013 for the next metal banging good time . I am hoping that this year we are finaly going to have people sign up early so I can ready myself for the impending chaos .Also I was offered a large tent that we will be setting up just outside the front door to make room for more equipment if anyone wants to bring any . several from out of town have shown great interest of comming and that would be great as we have plenty of room for camping and several options near by .

Per will already be here and a few other surprises as well as Cass Nawroki as our special guest on Saturday .

I also just recieved a shippment of 19g DQ and If you want some and cant get it till the event , please call and make arraingments to hold until you can pick it up .

2. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

where is this in MN?

3. rouye56wingnut

rouye56wingnut
    from mn.

It is in Dennison Mn. and I would suggest signing up on allmetalshaping.com site and there are 100s of pics from previous years activities .

4. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

I wish someone would do this around the Philadelphia area. Closest ones I've seen are either upstate NY or TN. :( It would be nice to pick up some tips, tricks and advise before I make my scrap pile any bigger.

5. rouye56wingnut

rouye56wingnut
    from mn.

Have you gotten involved in the vast metalshaping community on the internet . there are at least 2 sites to draw from to get a lot of usefull info along with staying in touch with events that are going on .

6. TinShed

TinShed

What is the cost for this per person?I have a group from the cologne area interested.

Tim

7. rouye56wingnut

rouye56wingnut
    from mn.

It is all donation only and will stay that way for many reasons . But you realy need to get signed up on a metal site either allmetalshaping.com or metalmeet.com so as to get the spirit of the event .

We have in the past had people come and stand around all day with hands in pockets and walk away with basicaly a meet and great experiance .This would not be the event for you if that is the case . I cant explain in a short post what is involved in these events however I have a shit ton of pictures and videos that will show you what goes on if you go to the site .

It will then give you an idea of expectations of both us and you . As far as donations most people give per day the same as you would expect to pay for a video that will explain less and not give you the hands on you will get here . We have some of the greatest shappers out there show up and stand with the greenhorns and help out without making you feel like an anchor . You also will be exposed to metalshaping tools and equipment that you may have only seen in books . I have heard back from many that said for months after they were consummed with making all sorts of hand made tools that they whitnessed at the event .

We start early and some of the guys are into a project and dont shut down till the wee hours . Thurs -fri we usually have about 25-30 real enthusiastic core members and every year that # grows . And Saturday is off the map and is becomming an issue that we may have to have pre-registration come into play because we have had as many as 80 there . Again this # can be redused by the folks that want to show up and be an oxygen thief can stay home untill they want to show up with a project or get involved in one .

Any questions PM or call Dan 507-263-7411

8. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

Sounds great....................

9. rouye56wingnut

rouye56wingnut
    from mn.

Does that mean we are going to see your face in Mn? I suppose I will be forced to put the COE into hiding until after the event . Glad to hear you are comming .

10. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

is there a direct link to signing up on allmetalshaping.com or metalmeet.com? maybe a thread? i always have trouble navigating those sites, so i dont do much browsing
    :eek:

11. rouye56wingnut

rouye56wingnut
    from mn.

You need to sign up to the site or you will have only limmited access to any pics or content . If you are serious about the art of metal shaping and want to advance beyond cutting and pasting then it is worth the few minutes it takes to sign on .

12. rouye56wingnut

rouye56wingnut
    from mn.

13. Let me say that DAN and LOU ANN do this for the love of it.

This is a must if you have any interest in metal shaping.
    As far as $ goes
    How much would you pay for an education in metal shaping?

Depends if your one of the guys who likes to sit in a classroom and listen to a guy talk about metal shaping or are you one of the guys that wants to do hands on metal shaping. Lou Ann and Dan always have a great spread so you don't have to leave and miss anything. Between a meal and a day of having any kind of metal shaping question answered plus hands on training I feel that $100 per day is more than a fair donation. Keeping in mind that without these donations Dan and Lou Ann wouldn't be able to continue these type of meets and have them open for anyone.

This is my opinion but your mileage may vary.

Johnny

14. rouye56wingnut

rouye56wingnut
    from mn.

Thanks for the nice words and as a guy that also has hosted an incredible event you and Roger know the work involved . All we are saying is it costs money to put these on far and above just the electric , gas , consumables ,and the obvious. How about the broken tools that you end up finding long after everyone is gone and the porta - potty and a week shut down at my shop .

I would love it to just travel a little ways and be able to just show up and use all the tools and equipment (actually I do once a year in Ala.) and learn all that is shown without a care as to someone tearing up my lawn or the other things that can happen . But here we are and Lu lets me do it as she really supports my love for this .

Johnny is over generous by nature and allbeit the value is based on what you take away from these events 100.00 is johnny talking and the best example would be what you would spend on a video that would focus on only one aspect of what you will encounter at an event . I have had guys show up and they were struggling with how to make a trunk lid or door skin and stuck it out and figgured how it was done and left with a done project . Others come and join in on someone elses project that has alot of the same fabricating that they are doing on their own and enjoy getting their feet wet on someone elses .

The freinships forged at these events are long lasting and great to be able to pick up the phone and ask questions of one of these new formed freindships .

15. rouye56wingnut

rouye56wingnut
    from mn.

16. rouye56wingnut

rouye56wingnut
    from mn.

17. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I had thoughts of heading down but as a oxygen thief I have decided to stay home.;)

18. rouye56wingnut

rouye56wingnut
    from mn.

19. RockHillWill

RockHillWill

Cousin Dan and Uncle Johnny:

It's good see known 'good guys' on this site, I'll probably hang out here more often.

I sure plan on attending this years event for the first time, and knowing how much I talk some times, I am preparing to bring some of my own oxygen to Minnesota.

20. rouye56wingnut

rouye56wingnut
    from mn.

21. Dyce

Dyce

I plan on being there most of the week. It's a great chance to learn how to make panels. Dan has the equipment to learn everything from the basics of hand tools to Ekold and Pullmax machines... It's a great group of guys that go to learn and share what they know. This year there will be alot of good metalshapers attending. Thanks Dan and Lou for doing this!!!
    Jeff

22. rouye56wingnut

rouye56wingnut
    from mn.