Register now to get rid of these ads!

4 speed in a '58 Ranchero????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2many projects, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Fellow sent me pictures last night of a 1958 Ranchero sitting beside the deseased neighbor's house.
    The previous owner owned it for 40 years and claimed it was an original factory installed 4 speed.
    I've never seen one and kind of doubt his alleged claim.
    I say it's not "factory".
    True or false???

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  2. I doubt that it has a factory installed 4 speed. I would like to have it anyway, maybe your friend should try and get it for himself.

Now I am concerned he is going to visit a diseased neighbor? Is it contagious? :D:D:D

3. He's crawling in it , under it and all around this afternoon to learn more about it.
    It's in dry Arizona so that's a plus.

4. many years ago I had a '58 ranchero, 292 with a 3 speed. never seen a 4 speed.

5. I don't think that put 4 speeds in the thunder hawks in '58. But I would not let that scare me off for sure I am not looking for something rare to restore I am looking for something cool to hot rod. :D

6. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

not factory, but super cool---always liked those rancheros---i believe 62 was first year for ford 4 speed----this is based on geezer recall , not always the best source

7. I'm with you. I too thought 62 was 1st year of 4 speeds in Ford pass. cars but I'm not a Ford authority on 50's models.
    I had friends that drove them back then and my dad was a Lincoln Mercutry dealer in the 50's and 60's but I only drove Chevys in those early times.
    Today.................I'm far more open minded and alway willing to learn a new thing and drive something different.

8. I used to drive fords when they were cheap and chevies were not. Mid '50s fords are still my favorite cars and you got to love a '57/58 ranchero. The '58s just give the allusion of being wide and dropped down in the snout just makes them look even wider.

9. ems customer service

ems customer service

3 speed and a overdrive from factory??

10. I've wanted a '57 Ranchero for years, I guess a '58 would work but then I'd need to track down a '57 nose for it.
    I hope my buddy comes thru with this thing.

11. And the quarters. Station wagon quarters work.

When I was still in high school we used to rob the hoods off of '58s for our '57s. It gave you a '57 with a scoop. I mooned over a 312 powered '58 for a couple of years when I was in high school. 250.00 and for some reason I could never come up with the cash, always something more pressing.

12. Thunderroad312

Thunderroad312

Not factory. First 4 speed in a Ford was '61. And those are RARE. B/W T-10. It is quite easy to put in a mid-fifties Ford. Bolts in and cut the hole for the shifter.

13. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

One of the few and I mean few Fords I would love to have is a 58 Ranchero. My Dad had one back in the late 60s with chrome reverse rims, man it was nice. Ever catch a episode of a certain t.v. show where this old guy is driving a 58 Ranchero, pink and cream. Nice.

14. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Yea I would have a hard time believing it is a "Factory" four speed. Crawl under there and see if it is a side loader or top loader and get some numbers off of it. I think the crew on here can decipher the results.

15. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak

YUP.......
    [​IMG]