Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to find a donor car....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Indychus, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Indychus

Indychus
    from Irmo, SC

I have a '52 chevy that I want to replace the 235/PG/Closed Rear with a modern drivetrain. I want to keep an inline six, and am therefor looking for a 250 or one of it's derivatives. I would really like a 292, but being able to use most of the driveline from a camaro or nova is very enticing.

Based on what I have read practically everywhere, 6 cylinder camaros and 4 door novas are everywhere and people are begging you to take them off their hands for practically free. I have found this not to be the case.

I have searched locally, on craigslist, ebay, mautofied, anywhere I can think of. What I find is either halfway across the country, retarded expensive, or beyond salvagable.

I have tried everything except going door to door and asking for leads. I'm looking for something in the $500-$800 range with a 250/292/etc, preferably OD trans, running (or rebuildable), and a 10 bolt rear. I'd even take a truck or van if one turned up, I'm not opposed to narrowing a rear end.

So how do you guys recommend searching for a donor car? I figured this would be the easy part...

2. Start by leaving the whine in the table next to the cheese.

Then past this paragraph in the wanted section of the classifieds.

Good luck.

3. Beano,,why didn't I think of that.:D HRP

4. guess you are just not up to par you old curmudgeon. :D

PM sent.

5. Indychus

Indychus
    from Irmo, SC

What whine? I guess your 24k posts entitles you to be an ass...

I can't post in the classifieds because I don't have enough posts and I'm sure a post looking for an O/T car would be removed anyways. I'm not looking for someone to find a car for me, but was curious about how others go about finding something like this. I would think a donor/parts car search is part of a lot of people's projects.

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

The price can usually be allayed by selling the parts that you don' need. I have always ended up being paid to use the drive train from my donor cars. Look at Camaros, Chevelles and other cars where the body parts don't know if they were once on a 6 Cyl or a SS396. They may cost more at first but the unused parts can greatly reduce the cost. This must be calculated into your equation at the start.

7. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Sorry I can't help ya on that one but, if the 235/PG are in decent running condition I would take it of your hands. PM me.

8. Indychus

Indychus
    from Irmo, SC

It runs great, I just rebuilt the engine and resealed the trans. I can't get the rear main to stop seeping, but that seems to be normal. I'll keep you in mind when it comes time to do the swap.

9. TurboX2

TurboX2

Just locate and buy the parts that are needed. You don't have to have a donor car to do this. A 292 will be tougher to find but other motors,trans,rearends are everywhere.

10. Indychus

Indychus
    from Irmo, SC

That;s true (and probably the route I'll take), but I figured a donor would be nice because I get everything in one shot, and if it drives I know I probably have a decent start without any big surprises... plus a newer front clip might be nice to get some disc brakes and power steering without going to the ubiquitous MII... although the stock front on my car is freshly rebuilt and I kinda like the manual steering and drums.

11. gwarren007

gwarren007

Heres the perfect car (a little out of what you said you would spend).

You get:
    250 inline (230 wasn't offered that year)
    Automatic (TH350)
    all shift linkages
    A 8.5" rear end - the 75-79 went to 7.5" rear axles
    power steering (at least it look like it)
    a rear steer disk brake front end- Some people "clip" thier ride with this subframe
    power brakes (if you do the firewall mount booster/mc)

Sine it is a 1974, you could part out the rest of the body for more $$

and haggle the price down!!!

http://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/3562810687.html

12. I hear what you are saying, I had a hard time finding a complete donor car a few years ago. Just keep looking we finley found a car for $100 (no title).

stick to it, going with a complete donor car provides so many of the parts you will need.

13. Lighten up ,,Beano is just messing with you!:D

As far as posting in the classifieds there is no reason why you can't,,if you have one post you can post there,,you can not reply to a classifieds,,not even Beano with his 24K entitlement can!:D HRP

14. I suppose you are correct. let me give you a huuuug. :rolleyes:

These are the rules for posting a wanted ad I am not seeing that post count has anything to do with it. You will note that there is no cutoff date for parts aside from body parts.

15. Post count has nothing to do with posting on the classifieds....however, you do need to register.
    BTW, old novas were a dime-a-dozen here 20 years ago. No more.
    Rocky

16. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Donors take time. My friend finally got a kidney.
    What have you got to trade? make it interesting. Youre thinking about the 70's when they were giving them away. 6 cyls are back in vogue wth the cost of gas and all.
    Farms, C/L, the bay, church, Old Folks homes.
    When I was a kid I scored MAJORLY at wrinkle ranches.

17. Indychus

Indychus
    from Irmo, SC

Thanks guys, I assumed that since I could not reply to an ad that I could not post one either. You know what they say about assuming....

And thanks gwarren, I am going to contact that guy and see if he's willing to haggle some.

18. you may have to broaden your search area

19. Squablow

Squablow

That '74 four door above would easily part out for $1500 not including the pieces you'd want to keep. Those are still somewhat popular with restorers but there's virtually no aftermarket parts available for them, the front fenders, bumpers, grille, tail lights, dash, windshield trim, steering wheel, ect. would all be easy enough to sell on eBay, plus a couple hundred in scrap iron when you're all done.

Would probably be a months worth of weekends to sell all the pieces, and you'd have to have the initial investment money to buy it, but if you're smart and motivated, that car would net you all the parts you want for free (minus your time and effort).

Tommy and I have had similar experiences here, I usually come out ahead on my parts cars when all is said and done. It's worth it to spend more up front if the resale of the extras is there. Buying things piece by piece usually destroys my budget.

20. my50chevy

my50chevy

go to the local wrecking yard, place an ad on craigslist

marco
    208 703-5306

21. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

Try searching multiple craigslist sites by using searchtempest. Set your mileage radius and enter the search term and go. Good luck!!

22. flynstone

flynstone

go on cl there is always something, you need to know what you are looking for, s 10 has some good doner parts, also if you want to go ford, t birds are very cheap, just picked one up for 600 took the motor and trans scraped it for 275....look at 76 and newer as there are alot that cant pass smog.....good luck

23. Indychus

Indychus
    from Irmo, SC

I offered the guy with the '74 $1200... all I could come up with right now. He said the car has to be gone by saturday and he'd think about it. Hasn't had any other offers. Maybe it will work out!

24. Indychus

Indychus
    from Irmo, SC

That's awesome! Thanks.

25. gwarren007

gwarren007

Be patient - you will get the 4-door for 1200. Not a whole lot of people looking for the 4-doors for that kind of money.

26. deucemac

deucemac

A good source for a donor car/truck is the lien sales at local towing yards. Less popular cars can go for as little as $200 or so and come fairly complete. generally the cars are impounded for DUI, minor accidents, and sometimes breakdowns the owner doesn't want to deal with A friend of mine does towing for the county, CHP, and city cops and has a sale every 2 weeks. find out who does the towing for the local law enforcement and go there.

27. joseph.peter.carter@us.ar

[email protected]
    from USA

With the dollar value of 100 dollars back in the late 60s, equal to around 1000 dollars today or better said, what you would of paid 100 dollars back in the 60s, expect to pay 1000 dollars for the same thing today, and the fact that scrap value of junk cars (doners for us) is between 400 and 600 dollars, free ads on Craig's List, I say it will be hard to find a vehicle with a suitable drivetrain, cheap.

28. 1946chevytruck

1946chevytruck
    BANNED
    from london ,ky

1963 nova - $1250 (inman s.c.)

<SECTION id=userbody><SECTION id=postingbody>63 four door nova all original and complete does not run 6cyl. auto trans. factory installed under dash AC very solid original floor pans clean and straight for it's age call Todd @ 864-895-8429 before 8pm

it is on craigslist

78 Nova - $1050 (Pelzer)

78 Nova it will make a good RACE CAR or use for Parts - call Tommy @864-399-2256 - cash only!
    will trade for anything - let me know what you got

29. gwarren007

gwarren007

Were you able to get it?