Register now to get rid of these ads!

49-54 chevy ifs (cough)airbag runners

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotrodTrash, Jan 28, 2013.

1. HotrodTrash

HotrodTrash
    from Hanford,ca

Ok, so what airbags do you chevy 49-54 guys/gals run on the front stock ifs. I was going to run the dominators 2600 on mine, but damn..they look kinda big.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  2. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

slam specialties 6"

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup, run the SS-6.

4. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

If your talking about bagging a stock front end 5" slams work better with a lil more clearance

5. HotrodTrash

HotrodTrash
    from Hanford,ca

Thank you! I was thinking the 5 inchers. I've been starring at these 2600(more of a 2700) for an hour, wondering how not to spend any more $$. haha oh wells

6. HotrodTrash

HotrodTrash
    from Hanford,ca

Yeah and i have 4 new dominator 2600's already .

7. rockabilly53

rockabilly53

Slam specialties 5"

8. HotrodTrash

HotrodTrash
    from Hanford,ca

Thanks man. you have your stock ifs modified and running the 5's? You running shocks and sway bar? Hows the ride? Sorry for all the questions, just finished the ass end and starting the front. I have a habit of doing everything twice...my checkbook is preventing me from doing that anymore:eek:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  9. MistGreen50

MistGreen50
    from Belen,NM

I have installed the Slam Specialties 5" (Re5? I believe) and cut the sway bar link down and the work well.

10. rockabilly53

rockabilly53

Yes I'm running the stock front end..for some reason I can't upload pics but I found a tech article that looks very similar to mine, I'm still swapping engines and all that jazz at the moment..good luck! There was a really good tech article on here as well you just will have to dig for it.

http://www.roaddevils.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1410

11. LCC Automotive

LCC Automotive

Im running airlift 2500's which are the same size and weight rating as the re-6. I wouldnt put re-5s in the the front, those are 2400's. takes alot of pressure to lift with just the 2500's or "re-6s" I have.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. HotrodTrash

HotrodTrash
    from Hanford,ca

WOW!! Rad pixs!! Yes, I've seen the tech artical from rustypipes. Great stuff, will be using that tech for sure. So, looks like i'll be looking for some ss-5s or airlifts 2500s. Ive always had goodluck with the airlifts dominators in other vehicles, So most likely ill go with them. Thank you guys.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  13. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

the 5" ss youll get better clearance !

14. HotrodTrash

HotrodTrash
    from Hanford,ca

Been looking at both all day. Doing my research. ss-5s it is

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

15. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ive been running Slam Specialties RE-5's on my stock front end for years now.. They have worked well.

16. impala631

impala631
    from INDIANA

The 5 inchers are tiny ! They will take a alot of pressure to get lift out of them and only have a 5" travel rating, try to atleast stuff a 2500 in there

17. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

I have The big slam specialties in mine, but its not stock.

18. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I dunno man, My front end lifts around 50 psi or so, That seems fine to me. The spring rate is too soft to really deal with bumps and pot holes though with low psi.. I usually drive around around 70-80 psi and it works out pretty well for me.

And it should be pointed out the 5" travel is at the bag, at the spindle it turns out to be a lot more travel. Its been years since Ive measured it, so I don't remember how much exactly. But I can make it over curbs and stuff just fine :)

19. impala631

impala631
    from INDIANA

Good deal,I always try to get the biggest I can, when I built my Datsun everyone said that I had to run a 5" bag or mount a big bag to the upper a arm, but I went through all kinds of work to fit in a 2500, & was well worth it imo

[​IMG]

20. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

the 5" ers work the best

21. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

bigger dosnt mean better every one thinks a bigger bags gona work better the only way to realy know wich is better you would have to have ran or tried bolth bags

22. I have no idea as I'm not running any, but if Alex Gambino was telling me to run slam specialties 5" bag, I think I'd listen.

23. HotrodTrash

HotrodTrash
    from Hanford,ca

Yup, he had to tell me twice, but tnats what im doing.:thumbup:

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

24. Indychus

Indychus
    from Irmo, SC

I'm planning on running RE-5's on mine. I wouldn't run the Slam SS series if someone gave them to me for free... I've had one seperate from the top plate, and I know several people who have also had issues. I've always had great results from the RE series.