Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My AV8 flathead build.. blown...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hotrodderhaag, Jan 28, 2013.

1. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Yup, the F-1 is the right idea! I've even retrofitted one into a customers othrwise stock Model "A" roadster.

2. Elrod

Elrod

Saw you wrote me a PM about the supercharger, but I figure I'll just respond here. That supercharger you found looks really complete. May be a bolt on and go. I'll be curious to know what the serial number is. I've been keeping an informal tally on changes they made from early to late. Yours having that casting number on the top passenger side on the aluminum makes me think you may have an early one from 1937.. Maybe close to 1936.

Here is a diagram of one taken apart

[​IMG]

and some original literature.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, I I believe that the earlier units had the thick rectangular gusset on the bottom of the blower snout. They later found out that this got in the way of the oil return line and changed that gusset to a triangle. On my unit, someone in the past torched a hole in it.

Earlier style snout.

[​IMG]

Later style with triangle gusset
    [​IMG]

This one has the gusset going the other way. I think this is the latest style, before they went to the second generation that had it's own aluminum intake below the blower
    [​IMG]

This is the second generation. The top aluminum piece doesn't have the bolts all the way around it, is smoother looking and has an art deco arrow cast into the top. It also came with that red intake below it that is different than a ford intake. This also had an integrated idler arm in the front

[​IMG]

3. Elrod

Elrod

Also, with the F1 steering box, you'll have interference with the stock Ford exhaust manifold on the driver's side.

Red's headers has your solution. They make a header for a flathead in a model A frame using an F1 box. The rear drivers port goes up and over the box. Whadda ya know?! He also makes them when you order them, so don't order it a week before you gotta drive it! (gee, how do I know that?)

A-V8 Headers in Model A Frame with F1 Box here

Doesn't look that horrible when it's in the car.

[​IMG]

4. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

5. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

6. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

F1 steering box with A column and Reds Headers......................

[​IMG]

7. Elrod

Elrod

That oiler cup on the front actually appears to be more of a breather than a fill cup. I had too small of a oil dump hose on mine and as you accelerated, that cup on the top of the snout would fill up with oil and run over. Then the fan would spray that overflowing oil everywhere.

I'm at work, so I'll see if I can explain this...

Oil leaves the block at the back drivers side, where your oil sender usually goes. My 1940 block was drilled for two holes. Oil pressure and oil filter.

Oil line into the supercharger goes in at two places, the lowest gear box and the one above it. Mine already had some brass T fittings and I just connected it. On the front of the large ring gear box on the drivers side bottom is the oil return back to the engine. You actually just drill a hole in your intake under where the generator used to be and the oil dumps back into the lifter valley.

I accidentally used an intake gasket that was solid in the middle, covering that valley, so the oil just poured out onto the floor out the road draft tube.

Did that make any sense?

8. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Elrod,
    so if i just use my oil sender pory to supply the charger it should be fine? i noticed the oil drain back. i zoomed way in on an original ad and seen the elbows they had to go back into the block. thats easy enough il just drill and tap it with come nice copper lines and fittings. ill prob use a T after the oil sender port so i can run the charger on it and also still hook up my sender.
    hope that sounds right, please correct me if im wrong.

9. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

as for the F1 box.... i was going to buy this one with no main shaft to go up through the column...can you just but them and weld the factory model a shaft and use the same sleeve? tardel didnt say much bout that either. haven dug into it that far

10. Elrod

Elrod

I found some photos on my computer. This might help. Yeah. You can put a T anywhere you want for your sender.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Elrod,
    you have been a huge ass help!! thanks man.. appreciate it

12. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

planning on this box

[​IMG]

13. andyg

andyg

subscribed!

14. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Headed to pick up my supercharger .... Glad I didn't have to wait till the weekend... I'm impatient as hell!

15. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Ok boys .... Here she is safe and sound .. Had to do a trial fit so I could sleep at night. Looks great and I met a pretty cool old guy when I picked it up ... He had some killer rods and really some amazing speed equipment,,, unfortunately I was not allowed to photograph.. But it was a site to see....

Well I gotta change the heads yet, but I do believe I have almost everything else ..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Very nice.......................

K

17. box50

box50

Looks good dude, some good info and the blower is going to be badass.Ok the dumb question where will I find the f-1 box I have read about the vega box but that may not be as cool with a vega box on my 31. I was wondering about hedders now I know,some more good information.

18. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

ebay, thats the best place.. junkyards have them, but they want top dollar and they are hard to get your hands on one that is good. i found several that were farm trucks on the paths in wyoming or something and they boxes were completly trashed. the f-1 box is eady to install.. some guys do it differently. the way im doing it makes it a breeze.

19. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Well...... Here is the progress... Fenders are off, motor is in..temporarily. I cut some tabs just to hold the motor up and look right. Charger and accessories are being fit... Not going so well. Found out the dual pulley that came with the charger won't it my generator , and the dual pulley for the crank won't fit either... This stuff is all for a 24 stud... I'm a little bent about that stuff . Gen mount is also for a 24 stud..
    Well here is some pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks Guys!

20. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Looks like I'm gonna end up buying another front pulley and tig welding them together and smoothing it out to make the dual pulley I need. .

21. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

dual crank pulleys for the 24 stud motors come up on the auction quite often.

22. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I have one for a 24 stud... Mine is a 21 stud

23. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

just scored a pulley for my engine to drive the blower. NOS pulley from joblot automotive.. $49.00 !!! and it was the last one sitting on a shelf and didnt show up in inventory...
    and to think i almost bid on one on ebay for well ofer 4 times that amount..

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  24. HotRodJosh

HotRodJosh

25. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Well got the water pumps on and generator bracket fit up... Everything looks good.. I may fab water necks for the heads instead of changing them...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. mortecai

mortecai

Nice work I will be following this one. the supercharger is very interesting!

27. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

here are the cut parts for the water necks and the new generator bracket for the charger....
    [​IMG]

decided to design a second bracket to make see which will look the best and give the most amount of adjustment. ill stick em in the press brake and get them all tig welded up
    [​IMG]

28. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

subscribing... i dont want to miss this build

29. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

all done.. im not the best tig welder... so... its decent. still learning
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Made up some water necks so I don't have to change heads. They look and work just fine . Gen mount worked good. Time for belts tomorrow . Waiting on motor mount bushings to come and a few other odds and ends

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]