Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's Talk Cyclecars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigcheese327, Dec 4, 2007.

1. SanctaRosa

SanctaRosa

A nice little cyclecar, a 1933 Rollfix Rekord.

Attached Files:

2. ebtm3

ebtm3

SanctaRosa, we have a saying--that I will be the first to admit makes NO sense at all--"cute as a bugs ear".

That little trike fits it to a T! I'm a sucker for three wheeled cars, and I think that is going to replace Morgans as my favorite example. Did you take the photos? Know anything about the power train? A modern motorcycle across-the-frame watercooled ending, behind the seat and-- No! No! You have too many projects to finish before you croak Herb, Get a grip on your self.

Herb

Outback likes this.
  3. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

I must say I have to agree. That is a very nice little car. I'm still leaning towards building an early Morgan style roadster trike, but the weather protection of that body is appealing.

4. Talgil

Talgil
    from Luxembourg

Hi, found your thread and am most impressed by your knowledge and the workmanship of some of you. In my spare time I am building my own light car on the frame of a 1922 Talbot 8/18 which I purchased a year ago in England. I have attached a picture of what I bought. How it looks now is my avatar. Hope you accept me as a new member.
    If anyone should be interested in building a similar car on the same basis, there are just 12 original cars around and 3 chassis kits (of which I have two now, bought the second 3 months ago). So there is still one around !

Attached Files:

Outback likes this.
  5. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Welcome Talgil! I hope you enjoy your visits here to the HAMB and we look forward to your contributions!

BanjeauX Bob

6. Talgil

Talgil
    from Luxembourg

Thought I might put in a picture of an original Talbot 8/18 as well.

Attached Files:

7. UKAde

UKAde
    from Oxford UK

Welcome Talgil very interested in your great little car could you put a few pics of the car as it is today looks great,
    I am very interested it's front axle I am looking for a lemoine axle like that for my jappic recreation , you don't have a spare?

8. Talgil

Talgil
    from Luxembourg

As requested here are some pictures of todays state. I am currently designing and producing a handbrake. Still do do is the dashboard, fuel supply, dynamo, accelerator pedal and linkages, piping from blower to cylinderhead, wiring and upholstery. But all that will not change a lot on the overall appearance of the little car.
    Sorry Ade, I don't have a spare front axle, but noticed on pictures that those on Wolseley, Humber etc (most light cars from 1921-1924) seem to come very close.

Attached Files:

9. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Very interesting spindle arrangement: cantilever kingpins? I assume the car never had front brakes? I wonder how that arrangement would handle braking torque.

10. UKAde

UKAde
    from Oxford UK

Hi Ned this is a lemoine type front axle which is the same as the jappic had ,interestedly the jappic has it's axle mounted the other way up with the axle beam higher than the spindle
    This is the main missing bit I need for my jappic build , it's looking increasliy like I will be fabricating one myself

11. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

From prewarcar.com:
    [​IMG]

12. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

The Scripps-Booth Prototype Cyclecar – The JB Rocket from The Henry Ford

We have always been interested in the early cyclecars that were popular in the teens. This is one of the most important one to have survived and it is in the collection of The Henry Ford Museum. We have a very interesting post up on The Old Motor filled with more photos and information on the interesting little car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. UKAde

UKAde
    from Oxford UK

That looks very similar to the badelia ,

14. DrJ

DrJ

That cam design didn't last may miles did it?

15. SanctaRosa

SanctaRosa

No sorry ebtm they're not my photos. These little cars were only made for a short time in from 1926-1933 and the one in the photos is the only known working survivor. The company went bankrupt in 1933 and the new owners continued the car as the 'Motrix' but by 1937 demand for the wee car had dropped away to nothing and it was discontinued. The engine is only a 198cc ILO and at the time in Germany cars of this size were license and tax free..

More about this little car can be found here (Google translation) http://www.autoclassic.de/zeitschriftenartikel-5579.html?nav=0&show=seite1

I really like it myself too and it would a great little project to build a replica.

Attached Files:

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Talgil, Welcome to the HAMB, glad you found us, great project you have there. Bob

17. SanctaRosa

SanctaRosa

Two homebuilt cars from the 1950s, one French and the other Swedish. No more details I'm afraid except the French one seems to have either an air cooled twin cylinder engine or a twin port single cylinder engine under the bonnet.

Attached Files:

18. SanctaRosa

SanctaRosa

Welcome Talgil, your Talbot project is going to be a quite something once it is all done.

19. Talgil

Talgil
    from Luxembourg

Thanks for all your warm welcomes. :):):)
    Saves the rainy week we have here. Wonder if you really all live in those exotic destinations you entered when registering. (I was therefore tempted to enter 'The moon')
    Here some pictures I took during the build.
    (I like the attitude of 37kid that the project is all, and that he doesn't even think of finishing it. However I have to get mine finished, as there are already two other projects waiting before I get to old to tackle them)

Attached Files:

20. Welcome, Talgil. Glad to hear you're focused on finishing your projects, but some always seem to 'evolve' even when you think you're done.

I'm speaking from experience, here... :eek:

21. bobadame

bobadame

Hey Talgil, how wide is your seat? I'm trying to decide whether I have room enough to fit a small passenger. Your project is a beauty by the way.

22. Talgil

Talgil
    from Luxembourg

Hi bobadame, the seat is 80 cm. As the passenger seats further back (sièges décalés in French) only his legs need space near you. The passenger has to put his right arm around your seat and I have therefore fitted a grab handle he can hold to feel more secure in corners. As he (or hopefully 'she') will have my left shoulder hard on his/her right breast I suppose the love will have to be strong enough to travel with me!
    The picture shows the grab handle. I still have to build a small box for spares to fit between drivers seat and the fuel tank. The number plate is not the one the car will get either, and I will probably rework the rear a bit as I am not 100% satisfied with the looks of it. (might fit a spare tyre, or two? and fit the number plate further back and the lights further towards the rear wheels. As 64 wildcat says, projects always evolve!)

Attached Files:

23. chuxx

chuxx

Inspiring build, Talgil.

24. UKAde

UKAde
    from Oxford UK

Very nice Talgil ,

.......... Jappic news .........
    News from local engineers is that the rear hubs and axle ill be finished next week , currently drawing up the front axle o he can start on king pins and steering arms , hope to get somedraings to the water hrt cutting man next week ,

Hope to get some parts to bolt on the car during half term ,, , and get engine mountings done so I can get the engine back to be rebuilt ,

25. UKAde

UKAde
    from Oxford UK

Very nice Talgil ,

.......... Jappic news .........
    News from local engineers is that the rear hubs and axle ill be finished next week , currently drawing up the front axle o he can start on king pins and steering arms , hope to get somedraings to the water hrt cutting man next week ,

Hope to get some parts to bolt on the car during half term ,, , and get engine mountings done so I can get the engine back to be rebuilt ,

26. onelung

onelung
    from Adelaide

"sièges décalés" .. here's a 1908 Sizaire - not exactly "staggered" seating, but with a grab handle for the passenger whose seat back is in a somewhat reclined position. Some light aircraft employed staggered seating too, in order to keep the frontal area of the cockpit down...

Attached Files:

27. Airhead Roadster

Airhead Roadster

Great pics & project Talgil. I am especially studying the ones of the body forming. Did you do your own shaping? I've never done any body panel shaping and I'm both excited and scared at the thought of tackling this part of my build.

Any tips or tricks you'd care to share?

What tools were needed?

Thinking I might take a class or two to get the basics down when the time comes.

28. hanklynch

hanklynch
    from Houston

Amazing project Talgil.
    Is there a more detailed build log anywhere online, maybe some more pics?

29. Talgil

Talgil
    from Luxembourg

Glad to see my project seems to appeal. I have done everything myself to the car so far, except turning the double pulleys for the supercharger drive. You can see my old lathe in the background of several pictures. I use it for easier jobs! I do not think building the body to be very difficult. The pictures explain the way I tackled it. I didn't learn any trade except from evening courses in mechanics about 25 years ago. My job consists mainly of writing French and German letters and meeting reports. So, if you are ethusiastic enough and have some imagination and determination you can do it! All panels are aluminum. First make a flexible cardboard template. Cut the aluminum with a jigsaw, bend on a table using a 2" tube as a help (or sometimes immediately in place), file to shape and fit with clamps, then 5mm screws and nuts. Remove these afterwards one by one when riveting. There is no weld in the body anywhere except for the fuel tank (I prepared the panels and had them welded, not being equiped to weld aluminum).
    Hammering the bowl to fit an accelerator pedal behind was a bit tricky. This is my first attempt using a leather bag filled with sand and a wooden mallet. It is not perfect, but I can live with it.
    Sorry, I do not have a build album, and not an internet site either. (Prefer to be in my workshop in my spare time)
    Very nice 1908 Sizaire, onelung, would love to call it mine!

Attached Files:

30. Looks like some excellent work, Talgil... :cool::cool::cool: