Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hotrod Ethics...I Have A Question Of Those Who Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by monkey's wrench, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Let me tell you a story, and then give me some advice...or a swift beat down.
    I built a car for friend, and was pretty damn happy with how it turned out. Patina up to my eyeballs. All original hardware used, wood aged down, paint matched and bodyworked, hell, if it were new, it was aged to look old.
    Here's where the ethical part comes in. I finished the car about 6 months ago. At a very prominent show RECENTLY, it was on display...labeled as a survivor! A story has been that it was found that way, another the car owner has used is that he had me get it running...
    The owner knows that when I was building the car I was working full-time, and using it as a kind of therapy, as my mom was losing her battle with cancer. It took me 5 months to build. I delivered the car the week after my mom passed, and also the week after I was laid-off.
    Am I so off the mark for wanting recognition? Not for fame, more to the point to drum up some work. I have a friend who builds cars and he said it's my pride. I think the thing that torques me the most is I thought he was a friend, and I'd be given some respect. Trust me, it was also reflected in what was charged for a crapload of work.So, I ask of you, what, if anything, I should do. Am I destroyed by my own success?

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if I work on someone elses car all I really want is the money, they can tell whatever tall tales they want after it is gone.

3. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

yep...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. yep....i've learned that you get paid for EVERYTHING you do or provide on someone else's car....no freebies

then what they say is up to them

i only work on MY stuff now

5. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

All you are owed is the money. The credit is nice but it's not part of the deal.

6. von Dyck

von Dyck

Many of us put in much more time/work/expertise than we get paid for. Live and learn.

7. No good deed goes unpunished.

Enjoy this build for the therapy.Tell the truth about the circumstances and build the future for the CASH.

Oldmics

8. beauishere

beauishere

'Survivors' are like 'barn finds'. The terms are way overused and mostly abused. Most real car folks get skeptical anytime those words come up. So who cares?

If you want credit for building the car, post a picture here and state your name. If you're upset because your friend isn't giving you props, welcome to world 101. If he paid you for a service, it's his car and he can say whatever he wants (true or false).

Working on a rod gives you zero claim rights. Self satisfaction isn't enough? Then you should only work on your own cars.

Good luck. Sorry about your ma.

9. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

Saw my shop truck at the show here in cincinnati...it took alot of skill to get it looking like that, all I did was giggle...who cares....I think most, NOT ALL, of these are over rated, but if it's your thing....do it....it's the chase and driving them I love.....

[​IMG]

10. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

lesson learned---move on---sorry about your mom

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'm kinda surprised at the responses so far. There are a few threads on the HAMB about busting people who claim other peoples work. Have those people changed their tune or is this some how a different situation?:confused: Maybe they have not seen this thread yet. Maybe.

I also get the feeling the OP thinks it's wrong for this guy to be telling a lie. And it is. What if the guy decides to sell the car and uses it's false "survivor" history to up the price? Wouldn't that be wrong?

If it were me and I was at a show and this guy was telling his lie, I'd call him out in a heartbeat. Not for the fame of claiming the build, but because the guy is a liar and perpetrating a fraud.

The guy sounds like an lying asshole, if you ask me. No mercy.

12. jimstro16

jimstro16

I build them not buy them. So I dont sell them just for this reason. Also why its a hobbie to me and not a job.

Part of the fun is the recognition for the hard work and the accompishment

13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I say take pics so you have something to show for what you have done now live with what you have done and thay will have to live with what thay have done.

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Most of us have been there and only work on our own cars now. Bob

15. trollst

trollst

Monkey's wrench, been there, some years ago when I decided to start my own business as a rod builder, my best bud wanted a model a two door, we found one, he paid for parts and I paid for everything else, meaning shop time, welding stuff, heat and light, with the understanding that he would advertise my workmanship for one full year as a tradeoff. Neither of us had much disposable cash, so, the deal was struck.
    Seems the year deal only lasted three months, he was offered stupid money for it, pocketed the cash, couldn't understand why I was angry, so I submitted a substantial bill for services provided, he was shocked. I never got any money, we are no longer friends, although he has tried many times to renew what was a thirty year friendship.
    Live and learn, shit happens, move on, let him do what he's gonna do anyway.

16. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

KEVIN - I think it's lame you didn't get any credit. my .02
    There were lots of cars at that show, where the owner didn't give credit to people who did hard work for them.

I still like the secret bolts on the front frame horns.

As I see it, the credit would have been advertising for you, more than anything.

Did you move already and came back just for the show? I hope things work out for you.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  17. 5window

5window

Right on. I'd be pissed. If it was somebody's photo or artwork there'd be, and has been, an uproar. Seems to be a double standard here on the HAMB. Surprise.

18. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

simple really, on the whole people suck.

19. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Let's see some pictures of this old heap!
    TP

20. Kustom.Falcon

Kustom.Falcon

He's right. But I'm pissed for you. As mentioned above, I'm pissed because the guy is a fraud and a liar.

Take pics of your work and keep them for examples. Pretty much all you can do.

###
    Kustom Falcon Build Thread:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=734282

21. i agree!!!

You can do one of two things. Just take it with a grain of salt and be glad you got his money for your hard work. Or you can confront him about it. I say just be glad you got paid for it. The guy can lie all he wants.

22. verde742

verde742

take pictures, get his signature on the checks, so you will remember who he was.. move on, Friendships are time invested, sometimes investments just don't work out.

There are consumers and producers,,, you are a producer. First it hurts, then ya tend to get angry, but that is a lesson learned. I only learn from my mistakes...

23. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think- While it "his money, his car, his story"- Its damn tacky of him to pass it off as something its not. If I had a car built or worked on by someone else and was pleased with it, I'd try to turn on other people to the builder. Credit where credit is due.

At least he isn't trying to say he built it.

24. jesse1980

jesse1980

As long as you got paid, it's a fair deal. When I see cars at shows, I just see the owners name if that, not the mechanic or guy that painted the cars name. Don't let it bother you, just jump on the next one. That's what the hobby is about.

25. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

It wasn't about a "fair deal" and "gettin' paid"..... these two parties had a long standing friendship going back many years. There was a lot of work done to make it look right so that they could tell "survivor stories" if they wanted. The car was in a prominent 3 day show that would have generated some advertising for the builder.

How do you think Brizio, Rudy, and all the others there would feel if their name was not put on the build sign????

26. tomcurnow

tomcurnow
    from Los Angles

How about Brizo getting all the credit for yesterdays award AMBR . Former Top Fuel Kelly Brown started building that car about 25 year ago, he had Steve Davis do most of th work, then over to So Cal for other work, Kelly sold the car, in an almost ready to paint condition ( with a four cyl alum engine) to a customer of Brizo, It was displayed at the GNRS as the Kelly Brown Track T, so that was good, but all of today's press makes only mention of Brizo and the owner. so not Brizo's or Mumford fault for sure. It certainly showcased was hot rodding really is ( at the top level, of course)

27. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

If you were paid a reasonable amount that you were happy with, that would be the end of the story right there. It is his car and he can say whatever he wants because he signed the checks.

If you were doing it for just the experience and as a friend, yes, you got shafted somewhat. For him to not acknowledge your labor is not very nice of him and, frankly, pretty crappy. But do you really want a friend who is an outright liar ?

In any event, move on, chalk it up to experience, and grow from it. I am also sorry to hear about your Mom's passing.

Don

28. rd4pin

rd4pin
    from louisiana

What he said!

29. Sounds like time to print up a low key sticker that states " this "survivor" car built and patina-ed to suit by........(your shop name here) " and put it in a "low key" spot on each side front and back, let the owner wonder how long its been there when and if he ever washes it lol ,

30. elmitcheristo

elmitcheristo

Kinda OT, but that car had me fooled. My buddy and I had a discussion about what kinda barn you would find that car in. I doubt this helps, but you did a very nice job on that car.

-Mitch