Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Another Stolen Car at the GNRS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DRD57, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

The best motel room just may have to be in the front seat of your ride, packing heat.

2. Many here act like a security officer has the right to stop and talk to someone we dont!. The officers dutys are curtailed by the clients request. I hate the idea of the car missing thats why I have a Batt disconect on my 60 olds. the hotel should have had a plan for this issue and have had better coverage. its not an issue of what the officer makes its more you get what you pay for. I do a show in the area and for 22 years we have never lost a car. Shit now Karma will bit my ass sure as shit.

3. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

Insure Good....let the Agent lay awake at night......I used to worry about my cars gettig tore up or stolen till I got in my old age stage of life......that is why we pay for insurance....I let the agent lay awake at night....Sure I'd miss my car, but it can be replaced with something I'd enjoy....may be centimental value gone and irreplaceable but like goes on.....Real Quick...enjoy it while you can

4. ^^^^^ what he said.

5. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

YA know Ive been lucky in the past, And I am seriously considering on the next out I may as well sleep in the truck with "KIMBER". shes a fire breathin BI%# if she gets woke up.

6. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

It's a terrible shame that this stuff happens at such big events . There should be better security measures taken . I guess there's only so much that can be done though . You'd think such a high-end-looking ride would have a kick-ass alarm or something at least .

7. This made me laugh out loud!!!! :D:D:D:D

8. Thats funny shit there.:eek:

9. hippy killer

hippy killer

no riged shot gun to the door open bang the owner would know to get in the passenger side

if any potencil slimbags are on this site and it would not suprise me at all slimebags are everywhere sorry mom and dad could not get you what you want but why take someones had work away from them

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  10. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

That is really sickening and scarey to hear about. We did exactly what Fred suggested, we paid the Sheriff's Dept $140 to watch over our cars at our hotel for Billetproof last year and we are going to do the same this year. It is cheaper than our deductible and we got a good night's sleep.

Don

11. for 25$ a car , plus the hotel fees???? come on I'd expect a impound yard from rent a fence with a coat check system and an I.D. required that matches the reg. , especially if this is always happening at a particular hotel , (which I would boycott till they get this shit stopped) not responsible signs be dammed , hope they find it in tact and returned fast, unharmed

12. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

It most definately infuriates me to hear of this repeatedly happening!
    Having said that, the hotel or show promoter has to find a sweet spot here. provide "adequate" security and well being for their guests w/o alarming folks. Go to Disneyland and they check your bags on the way in. Go to Six Flags and you have to empty your pockets and walk through a metal detector for "everyone's safety". That extreme doesn't bother me, but some folks instantly figure "there's gang problems there" and vote with their feet.

If the Hotel or show promoter sets up a "high security" Fort Knox style area for the guys to park their cars (paid or gratis), the repercussions are that the casual show goers might feel that "this isn't or must not be a good place to drive my Hot Rod to. Maybe we shouldn't come to this show anymore if it isn't safe". Regular hotel guests may wonder out loud if their daily driver will be there in the morning and choose to not patronize the hotel in the future."This must be a bad area of town Henry".

The Fort Knox gated area implies that your car will be 100%ish secure. If the car thief beats the system, guess how quick a lawsuit will get filed? That's why every parking stub has a 'park at your own risk' hold harmless disclaimer.

The reality is that the responsibility lies with the individual car owner. As mentioned in the other replies;

Insure the shit out of your ride.

Utilize all the theft deterents you can.

Travel in numbers (this may mean club members or friends have to take 3 hr. shifts around the clock in the lot or hire a guard).

Pack heat. Just know the implications involved.

Even after all this, there's still a teeny chance you'll lose your ride. That's a fucked up reality of life. Don't let it keep you house bound and from gettin out to enjoy yourself.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  13. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Dream on. $25 around here is nothing but 'park at your own risk'. I'm sure it is the same down there near the show. Another $25 on top of that, and you might possibly get some kind of marginal entry level security.

14. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exactly why this SO CAL NATIVE moved to Oregon!----Immediately got my carry permit!
    Boy Scout motto---Always be prepared!---Visit our range every 2 weeks!:D

15. slammed

slammed

If your asleep, will not matter. Enough with the 3-4 exclamation marks every post.

16. So the thieves were hotel guests?

17. HotrodTrash

HotrodTrash
    from Hanford,ca

Airbags, lay the car out on ground..take compressor lead hose off, drain tank. Kill switch to battery. Take plug wire to coil off. And Hope thieves dont have the above and a trailer.. I've done all this and more at shows. Thieves are everywhere, F'n POS's

18. kquigs@optusnet.com.au

[email protected]
    from brisbane

i say cut there fucken hands off

19. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

This^^^^is a well thought out and reasonable way to handle the fear we have about our cars being ripped off. It's the feeling of having your guts ripped out thats the hardest thing to get over.

20. I doubt it was an inside job, meaning hotel security or staff. More like steal-to-order.

Nice cars get into the magazines, they get plastered all over the internet forums, get seen at local cruises and the crooks pretty much know what show they'll be at and sit back and stalk the car. If they miss at one show, they go onto the next.

Whoever is taking the cars, blends right in with everyone else and doesn't get a second glance when they pull into a lot with a trailer in tow, or is seen loading one up elsewhere in proximity to the show. All they have to do is get the car out of the lot, quickly whip a car cover over it and do what they want.

There are a fair amount of cars disappearing, nobody sees anything. So the cars aren't showing up at shops to be worked on, they aren't surfacing in part or in whole where they'd be recognized. This is a small tight operation involving a handful of people who probably have day jobs in the car business. Sad to say, the cars are probably going out of the country.

The first thing I'd do if it was my car would to hit every storage place in the area and show a picture of the car. Good chance it gets hidden quickly, wait a few days or more, pick a rainy night and move the car into a closed trailer and go.

Bob

21. I was going to suggest this, I would add armed guards.

22. I have seen guys that travel together at some of the big shows take turns at night watching the parking lot over night. HRP

23. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

You would think at GNRS that there would be some good form of security....

And there should be more security measures done for a show like that for sure.

24. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Don't rely on someone else to guard your car, take precautions yourself; pull the dizzy's rotor, battery disconnect, etc etc.....and make sure your insurance and agreed-value is up to date just in case shit happens....because it does.

25. that really sucks.....

I would bet and I actually hope (meaning hope a fellow hot rodder isnt stealing the stuff)

these cars must be off to Europe or something....ugh

26. Let us remember, that the first line of defense is the owner!
    It is the responsibility of the owner, to do His/Her due diligence to protect their property.
    In this case, if there was a fee for parking. The hotel may have some responsibility !

27. Armed guards are a good idea if they are responding to a robbery in progress. You better bet that the crooks are armed.

The presence of a couple of club members taking shifts is probably enough of a deterrent to scare someone off. I'd never have a single person on guard duty.

The big trick is to get all the cars in one area and know what cars you are watching over. A simple flyer visible on the dash with a coded owner number would suffice. It also gives the guards something to do by taking a head count at regular intervals.

Bob

28. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Repo guys like to use tow trucks for a reason. Gets around any of that business and is fast, easy, reasonably quiet and professional looking. If somebody is in the business of stealing cars, none of that is going to stop them. A stealth tracking device might at least let you know where the car is for a while until they find it it.

Sounds like the thieves this time knew all it was going to take was hope in a go though. Seems oddly too easy and clean.

29. There is a fine line between a car thief and a repo agent. All the tools and methods are identical. Even on a flatbed with a cover, a stolen car would attract little to zero attention in a car-show town.

I am still awed by how many high-buck cars are not alarmed in some fashion. Even my 2002 vintage OT import has a Viper alarm in it.

Bob

30. Lowrders

Lowrders
    from DUBUQUE IA

Thieves need to be treated like child molesters, once convicted, they should have to go door to door and tell everyone they are a thieve. They are the among the biggest of all douche bags. They will never understand what its like to make huge sacrifices to get what you want, or respect the amount of blood sweat and tears that goes into something. I've had plenty of shit stolen from me over the years, and its not even the money thing that bothers me. That is what insurance is for. Its the sacrifices and love for an item that the thief has no respect for that bothers me the most, and there is no punishment that will teach them that respect.
    Good luck getting that car back, Makes me quiver at the thought.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.