Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Another Stolen Car at the GNRS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DRD57, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. True. Ask Lee Harvey Oswald..... oh wait i mean the guy on the grassy knoll..... oh wait i mean the guy...... oh nevermind

Hope they get the car back.

2. SlowMoe

SlowMoe
    from Alabama

Ratfink, I was refering to the Parking Lot Attendant getting injured or killed. Yes, I agree it's not your regular, run-of-the-mill, CAR; but none-the-less, not worth getting killed, trying to prevent it's theft.
    My first job, approx 33 years ago, was a "Door Guard" at a Tressury Dept Store (Owned by JC Penny's) Here I was, making minimum wage, and I followed two guys out, that had concealed a VCR in one of their coats. I followed them out, and confronted them, when one pulls out a knife, as the other throws the VCR to the street and takes off running. Luckily, the guy with the knife, after seeing his buddy take off, did the same thing. Moral to this story: I could have been seriously injured or killed, trying to stop the theft of an item, that was ruined anyways, after dropping it. All, while making $3.35/hr. Do you think The Treasury Dept store or JC Penny's would have given a Rats Ass about me? NOTHING is worth losing one's life over, nothing!

3. Dave50

Dave50

Theres most likley someone on the inside

4. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

There was one stolen in the greater Minneapolis area last year, made a lot of news. It was recovered a few days later in St. Paul.

5. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

I don't expect one's economic standing to prevent them from at least making an effort to do the right thing, and I do think that having the thief KIA would have prevented the theft...and been a great contribution to society. Shouldn't you hope its recovered without *any* damage?

Edit: Read your reply above.....I still contend that not at least checking to make sure it's the owner who is taking the car, or even calling the cops if its suspicious, would have qualified as SOME effort. Folks working there probably dont give a sh*t because who cares? It's not THEIR property...you know, us being rich folks with our cars and all that.

Five bucks its going south of the border...anyone remember the green 30's Ford truck last year? They tried to sand the company name off the side? Put out an APB for any HAMB'ers around the border, that's how the last one was retrieved.

6. big creep

big creep

did he have lojack or a gps tracker? if not too bad. i hope he gets it back but come the fuck on already! you have a beautiful car, get somthing to protect it. its not gonna stop them, but it give you a chance of finding it!

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Absolutely agreed!!

8. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Tall tree and a short piece of rusty barbed wire.Sure hope he gets his car back.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

9. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Woah, SloMoe, you're making too much sense mixed with reason here.

It comes down to personal risk/responsibility. Sucks, but I agree Moe, a lot attendant is not and should not get between your prized car and someone with evil in his heart. I sure hope the car is recovered before it makes it's way to some drug lord's car collection or parted out.

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Yup, it was headed south of the boarder when Nick Flores found it. He and I stared the thief down in court the day they sentenced him, too. Added info that got him a much longer sentence as well. If he wants to come after me when he gets out? Good luck buddy! I would expect one less thief in the world if he does... Was it my truck? Nope, but it was a fellow hot rodders. It's NEVER okay to back down to a theif!

11. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

This bothers me greatly also, as I was walking the show, I was wondering how much money this show makes, every head was 20 bucks, kids 10, parking 10, who knows how much the vendors paid for booths,car show entrance fees, I know the venue isnt cheap but it sure seems as though they would have been able to afford real security.....

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wouldn't call that a random theft. I'm thinking along the lines that Slick111 is in that it's all too possible that someone has the remnants of one with a clear title and good vin numbers. It could be that an unscrupulous shop owner sees stealing a car during the show to use to redo a similar vehicle that has a good vin and title or a customer's vehicle that needs a hell of a lot of work to up his profit margin.

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The car was stolen from a motel parking lot at 06:something in the morning. It wasn't stolen at the fairgrounds. That is the same motel that another high profile car was stolen from two years ago under probably real similar circumstances.

I always figured that one way to secure things was to have a few of the tag alongs with bagged beaters to park them and drop them so as to block the rest of the cars in but the fire marshals would raise all hell kinds of hell over that.

14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Sorry it happened, but if I could afford a car like that, I could afford an armed guard for the nights I was there. Hell, for the whole weekend.

This happens so much, I've gotten used to it. So once again, here's my suggestion for protecting a high dollar ride. HIRE A DAMN GUARD WITH A GUN.

15. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

It just never seems to end. There is another thread on here of another mid year Chev missing from So. Cal. as well.

There needs to be an organized boycott of the hotel for next years show. If they don't care about their customers property why would anyone want to risk staying there?

16. jesse1980

jesse1980

17. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

I know what your saying, but it would just seem that the event planners could get together with the hotel and plan this better....Im just sick for the guy that this happened too, I imagine how I would feel after putting years of my time into something not to mention the money...I can make more money, cant get the time back....

18. RatPin

RatPin

With that much invested you have to get tricky with security if you plan on leaving it alone overnight in a public lot. There are plenty of ways to completely immobilize a vehicle without spending a whole lot. Just got to be smarter than the thieves.

It sucks, but that's the world we live in.

19. Someone's car gets swiped and a few dickheads try to blame a parking lot attendant?!?!? How many of us have had someone drop us off at the lot to pick up our car or vice versa? Did anyone ask what you're doing? I doubt it, It happens everyday. Put the blame squarely where it belongs. The lousy thief and then the owner who was, perhaps, a bit naive to assume his car was safe

20. Bruuuce

Bruuuce

Somebody needs to get a picture of the car to the Ups drivers in the area. A drivers car was stolen in Phoenix a few years back and it was found in about a day cause everyone knew to look for it.

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Isnt that some kind of violation of HAMB protocol or something?

22. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

I feel very sorry and saddened for the car owner that this happened to him but surprised ? not at all.

23. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

I would like to think people do it just becuase. But i would guess that they had no idea. No idea at all. But did they need to rambo them? No and would suggest not. But we do live in a digital world. Maybe call on something odd, if it was anyway.

At some point, if you sit back and watch. It will knock on your door. Or maybe not... I applaud you. Been there for no money.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  24. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

If you do a search- there's a car stolen there every year. Sometimes more than one! When GoodGuys Show was there, they took 3 cars! Hell- they have taken cars loaded in trailers too. Nothing seems to be off limits.
    Parking & security (or lack of) is provided by Fairplex, not the hotel. Hotel doesn't seem to care either- neither does Fairplex. I'd NEVER stay there.

25. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Ya right try and get a Concealed Carry Permit in Calif

26. J_J_

J_J_

My thought would be along the lines of several of the guest sending letters etc. vowing to never stay or attend again unless proper security measures happen. I live close enough I dont have to stay anywhere but if I did I'd proably stay in my ride! thats just me.. the truck I'm doing for my son though I may not do the whole lojack thing but will put in an alarm with a few little security measures that have never failed me!

27. ray seelbinder

ray seelbinder
    from carbondale

Think about it ! Total inside job.... A slick car pulls in, the watchful eye makes a local call, bada boom ,bada bang , bad guy leaves with nice ride, watchful eye gets a cut !!! I've had the misfortune of it happening twice to me ...Both rides were recovered, but I didn't want them back after the abuse they took...

28. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

With the money in that car, you would think there'd be some type of theft device or GPS. I disconnect the battery, which is in the trunk, and take the steering wheel into my room. I figure the thief would pick an easier car to steal than mine.

29. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

30. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Danny's a good guy that just finished that Nomad he bought from a friend of mine . The Sheraton was asking $25 to park , you'd think for that kind of $$ there would be a little better security.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.