Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2013 America's Most Beautiful Roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Born a HotRodGal, Jan 27, 2013.

1. sota

sota

Congrats to John and Roy just one great hotrod!!!

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

The cream color on the wheels is PERFECT. Imagine how different it would look with black wheels against the maroon.

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey! I know how that works! Welcome to the club 296V8 and big congrats!!! Seems like my work on any high line car (AMBR a couple of years ago) is always the work of the paint shop...

4. SlowMoe

SlowMoe
    from Alabama

It sure is LIGHT YEARS away from the '63 AMBR Winner!
    I realize that the custom car revolution was just taking shape, and that Leroi Tex Smith was the brain child of this past winner. However, even though the latest winner is a traditional car, the expertise, materials, workmanship and technology that has evolved since '63, has made it possible for this caliber of car to be created. Without TIG, MIG, CNC, etc, this award winning car would have never been a reality. So YES, a beautiful, Traditional Car, has won the coveted award, but it was the advancement in our hobby, made possible with todays technology, that made it all possible.
    CONGRATULATIONS

Attached Files:

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Dude, you can't imagine HOW perfect in person. If you would have told me before Saturday that a maroon car would hold me captivated for more than a minute I would have told you you were nuts! I must have stood there and stared at this car for 15 minutes. For some reason the off white wheels compliment that color and make it sooooo damn vibrant that it just can't be captured in pictures. Also, in person the off white on the wheels and the maroon on the body makes the wheels look proportionately like the 16"ers they are, but bigger. They in turn make the darker body of the car look a little like it's say 7/8 scale. Strangly beautiful!

6. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Great car and about the same size as the Trophy.......perfect! (Darryl Hollenbeck photo)

<a href="http://s614.photobucket.com/albums/tt223/hotrd32/HAMB%20Stuff/?action=view&amp;current=388769_532004646821102_256252882_n.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  7. 39 Ford

39 Ford

HO HUM cars like these are so far out of my reality zone they do not mean much to me.

8. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I think that is, at least, part of the charm of this car. It IS much more attainable than the typical ISCA type of show rod. Part for part will probably be different and the level of fit and finish will be different, but you can build a car like this that if you squinted at both cars, they would be similar. The things that DON'T cost money can be applied to a home built car. This car is not a re-invention of the hot rod. It's merely(?!?) a super refined, example of one.

9. verde742

verde742

what he said.......

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Man, I can only speak for myself, but if a guy doesnt see ANYTHING in that car that he can file away for future reference, his personal bar must be set pretty low. For instance, did you look at the chassis photos when it was in TRJ last month? And you didn't see ANYTHING that made you stop and think???

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I already fell head over heels for it when I saw it in the last TRJ. Now, with the maroon and cream, WHOH! And the shape of the nose looks so much better with paint on it than it did in bare metal, and it looked DAMN good then! Just wish I could have seen it in person.
    To me, its like all the great early fifties style hot rods I've ever seen rolled into one, with the 1 or 2 slightly jarring warts removed, and everything just honed to perfection.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  12. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

well deserved.long live true vintage hot rods.

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

My sentiments exaclty! I really honestly was pulling hard for the guys out of Spokane with the black modified. It's one of the most inovative traditional cars I have ever seen and I dug it big time, but when I saw this car I knew it was "game over" for them.

I really wish I could put that paint into words! I haven't heard anybody else talk about it the way I am, so maybe I have a drug problem I'm not fully aware of...But DAMN!

14. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You appear not to understand the meaning of the term "Ho Hum." If you do, then you have clearly misapplied it. They may not mean much to you (which is hard to believe about anyone who has been on the HAMB for a while) but they are obviously anything but ho hum.

15. sota

sota

Are you kidding:eek: If yuu can't see past your own nose just maybe your in the wrong hobby!!!!

16. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Thanks Terri, everyone involved did a great job on a fine Hot Rod.

17. You had to see the car in person. Yes, the engine and the brakes are mega-dollar, but the rest of the car was just built with an incredible attention to detail. Honestly, you could build an affordable car with a very similar look and then drive the wheels off of it.

I think that the planning and execution of this car was what made it the winner. The right parts, the right proportions, and the right talented team. Honestly, I think that we're seeing a turning of the tide for the AMBR winner. I believe that the time of the billet AMBR car is fading, and this year's winner is going to set the trend for the near future.

18. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, us nobodies can only hope. It's the judges that are going to have to make that call.

19. sololobo

sololobo

Congrats on an unbelievable build, just makes my head spin. The breathtaking mill just vaults it over the top. Thrilling!! ~sololobo~

20. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

a big congrats to every body involved :D

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

39ford really needs to go back and read the article in TRJ. This car was sold 85% done because Kelly Brown bought property and couldn't afford to finish it. The brakes, engine, paint and upholstery were added by Mumford, and really arent what makes the car, its Kelly Browns vision of what he wanted, and Steve Davis' execution of that vision. While its not a low $$ car by any means, most of it was paid for by a real car guy on a salary. This car has been thirty years in the building, because it WAS built by a guy on a salary, who wouldn't settle for less than what he saw in his minds eye, and had to work on it as money allowed. Not trying to take anything away from them at all, but Brizio and Mumford came in at the end and finished it up, masterfully. Thank god Mumford DID end up with it, theres alot of guys out there that could have bought this car and made a real dogs breakfast out of it. If you look at the signage they used at the show, even THEY call it the Kelly Brown roadster. It wasnt built to win the AMBR, it was built to be Kelly Browns vision of the perfect early fifties T roadster. And its the first time in a LOT of years that the car that won the AMBR WASNT built primarily for that purpose.

22. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

What I like about this year's winner that it seems to be a relatively unadorned car, just a curved axle, and no more than what's needed - no need for 10,000 extra holes (or rivets!) in everything, etc. A classic race car design and great execution. Gary

23. Jerry_Rolls&Pleats

Jerry_Rolls&Pleats
    from Europe

I ran a couple of pictures of it in the new issue of Rolls & Pleats (#39).

[​IMG][​IMG]