Register now to get rid of these ads!

How should I lower my 60 Impala?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by straykatkustoms, Oct 5, 2012.

1. x-shift

x-shift

Classic Performance Products. It doesn't say so in the description, but they have the offset:

http://www.classicperform.com/Store2/Suspension/5864UCS-RK.htm

I bought the front end kit and center link from them, too:

http://www.classicperform.com/Store/1955_1970_Fullsize_Cars/5860SFKR.htm

http://www.classicperform.com/Store/1955_1970_Fullsize_Cars/5557CL.htm

I went with rubber, after hearing too many stories about urethane disappointments. We're not road racing, so the rubber works fine. It'll out-live me! Bought my springs from Coil Spring Specialties under Hellfish's recommendation. I still owe him a beer...

2. x-shift

x-shift

I'm not sure you'll be happy with those, unless you're really in love with discs. A lot of those kits use later GM small calipers, and won't stop a wheelbarrow. I'm still on drums, and stopping fine. My uncle put one of those disc kits on once, and put his drums back on 2 weeks later.

3. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Years ago, I did a disc brake conversion on my '55 and I was very happy with it.
    I'll do some checking. Thanks for all of the help, now I owe you a beer.

Happy Trails, Mick

4. x-shift

x-shift

Let us know if you decide on the discs, because I am still a little curious about it. I might just take you up on that beer, your shows look pretty cool!

5. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

I left the stock Brakes on my Impala Rebuilt the entire system . I could not be more pleased and there not even power Brakes

Attached Files:

6. Mick,

I did a bunch of research on converting to fron discs. If I do it, which I probably will becaus I drive alot and in crappy weather too I am going with the Scarebird conversion. You can ever keep you stock 14" wheels. Ecklers has the upper shafts with the extra offset. They are a bit pricy!! Todd

http://www.scarebird.com/index.php?id=12

http://www.lategreatchevy.com/full-size-chevy-positive-camber-offset-shaft-upper-left-1958-1964.html?crosssell=Homepage_Featured_Category_Suspension+%26+Chassis

7. Hellfish

Hellfish

I'm running stock drums with a 63-64(?) booster and a '67 dual MC on my '59. I stop just fine, and I drive it in Chicago traffic/highways.

8. onlyonthurs62

onlyonthurs62

Did you have to do anything special to mount/install that '67 dual MC to your implala? Im running stock drums all around as well and I would like to have a dual on my 62' because that single pot scares me lol

9. Hellfish

Hellfish

It's a Bel Air, not an Impala. :)

The '67 MC bolted right to the '63 booster (both available from RockAuto), and the whole thing bolted to the firewall like it was meant to be there. I think I did have to extend the brake pedal rod though.

I added inline residual valves, although they probably were not needed. I ran all new brake lines. Other than that, I didn't really have to do anything. It works great.

10. onlyonthurs62

onlyonthurs62

Thanks for the info!

11. Not that it would hurt anything, but I don't think you would need residual valves with a M/C mounted on the firewall. Todd

12. Hellfish

Hellfish

Yeah, I can't remember if I did or didn't. I put it together almost 10 years ago.

13. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

You usually don't - the elevation head is enough for the newer wheel seals to seat correctly.

Mark

14. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

For Criste sakes just slam the bitch and be done with all ready

15. Cutting coils on these cars is easy. My old 60 El Camino was just cut coils front and back and was quite low, but rode fine. It did use up carrier bearings though. Stock drum brakes and 15 inch Supremes. The picture kind of poor, but you can see the ride height.

My 59 El Camino I went with dropped spindles and the associated disc brakes up front. Back was just cut coils. Used 15 inch old E-T 5 spoke wheels. This car I put the slip yoke in the rear driveshaft and never had any carrier bearing issues.

Neither had air bag or air shocks. Both daily drivers. The 59 was a nicer car with a better ride quality.

Attached Files:

16. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

mine,, cut stock coils.......you can use 75 chevy pick up coils for more coil tension, for a stiffer ride and you can get them from belltech in shorter then stock, tehn cut a half coils off , should be about right..

Attached Files:

17. millsryan

millsryan

[​IMG]

I recently cut two coils outta the front springs on my '64, sits just right with a wicked mean rake. Best two hour upgrade I have made yet.

18. youthpastor

youthpastor

I LOVE that car, glad it is coming to Washington. I took a red Camaro up to there a few months back for a car show. cool scene.

sorry about the hi-jack:)

19. help-me-honda

help-me-honda

Keep it stock,just my opinion.

20. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry for the delay, life got in the way of progress. Now its time for an update.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've been very pleased with the results with all of the help. I used a combination of CPP and
    Speedway motors for my front end. (My new addiction is Speedway motors) I bought the two
    inch spindles with stock springs with the Disc brake set up. My concern is besides some broncos
    that I've owned in the 80's this is the highest vehicle I’ve ever owned. right now I'd like to lower it
    another 2 to 3 inches. Before I do that I was wondering, how much do you think the springs will
    settle? Right now I have 6 inches of clearance from the lowest part of the a arms. that’s just too
    high in my book of kool. Right now it looks like I have a poor boy hydraulic set up.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Happy Trails, Mick

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  21. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

custom touches look really good----love those flat tops----different time but i drove my 58 impala for years on the snubbers----love them low

22. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

I would cut one full coli from your new front springs - will have a nice rake - and leave the back alone.

;)

23. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks guys, Kool to hear ya think the back is ok, I'm happy with the height of the back
    just need to get the nose down. Trying to decide to cut the coil spring or buy springs
    that are made 2 inchs shorter.

24. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I just bought some two inch lower coils for the '60 Chevy wagon...but won't have them in for a few weeks, other wise I'd be able to tell you which way to go...and I love to tell people which way to go...or is that 'where' to go...???

R-

25. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

61 that I had with 2.5 cut out... rode like a dream boat man... no issues other than draggin the exhaust a bit... :D

Attached Files:

26. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You've never told me where to go, just how to spell it correctly....

Lol, thats how I like them but Renee will be driving it sometime. So it will need to be a little
    higher then my norm.

Happy Trails, Mick

27. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

1.5 would probably do you fine then... This is the best car I ever had on cut coils...

28. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

i cut 2 coils outta the front of my 59 el camino. looked cool, stiff as a board. got the 3" dropped coils from Ecklers. and it sat almost exactly the same but had plenty of suspension travel.

29. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Years we cut two coils out and it road just fine. If we wold removce just one It should be ok. I'm trying to get out of the lower is better mentality. Its tuff to get that out of your system.

Three would be kool that would still leave me with three inches of clearance with the arms and thats more then my late model.

30. Hellfish

Hellfish

I installed 3" lowered springs on my 59. Rides like a brand new '59. The sprongs definitely settled further, but I don't know how much since I never took before/after measures. It definitely rides much lower, but smooth. I initially cut coils which were much stiffer in comparison to the new, lowered springs.

You 60 is looking good. I love the taillights. 59 Pontiac?