Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy 3600 into a daily driver

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Coach529, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Coach529

Coach529

Henry made his maiden voyage tonight. Not even sure where to start.

Seems to run good although thre is a learnin curve to this 4 speed with the 4.56 gears. If leaving from a stop sign and turning, 2nd runs out of steam about 1/2 way through the corner and a shift to 3rd requires some skills. [​IMG]

I am getting some weird whirring noise intermittently. Guessing it is the speedo cable.

Rattle and vibrates like crazy. Both door latches are shot... which contributes to this greatly!

Fair amount of steering play.....more than I would like. How do I adjust that. The ball joints all seemed good.

Brakes are scary. Pulls to the left and feels vague. I am parking it until I decide how to proceed.

Upgraded drums? Discs? Kit or fab myself?

2. Coach529

Coach529

Not much forward progress lately. The weather and other activities has slowed the project.

I got the tank back from the radiator shop. Clean as a whistle and ready to install. I bought a new level sensor as well.
    Spent a little bit of time on Friday cleaning up behind the seat and prepping for the tank to be installed.

[​IMG]

I am covering the back wall and floor with Peel & Seal as a cheap alternative to Dynamat.

[​IMG]

I bit the bullet and ordered a front disc brake conversion kit this past weekend. Speedway had a "Free Freight" Black Friday sale that I took advanatage of.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Deluxe-Disc-...ickup,4622.html

3. Coach529

Coach529

Brake kit came today!! :D

[​IMG]

4. Coach529

Coach529

More parts came in today. I ordered aset of seatbelts from http://www.seatbeltstore.com/[/URL].
    The stuff looks great. I know I could have saved some cash pulling seatbelts out of a junker, but sometimes time is money!!

[​IMG]

5. Coach529

Coach529

Huge progress today due to a beautiful December day and some help!!
    The story of the day was this:

[​IMG]

Broken bolts. Uggghhh. Everyone of them was seized, but what do I expect out of such old iron.

No chance of getting the bed bolts out, so a skinny wheel was put to work right away. Cut and chisel the head off, and use a punch to push the bolt down and out. Worked great on the 8 bed bolts!!

[​IMG]

After an hour or so the two of us had the bed off and then removed the fenders. No suprises at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Up next. Research on a small C notch. Removed existing axle, axle flip. Shock mounting, new brake lines. Fun, Fun, Fun!!

6. Coach529

Coach529

King pins are out and the axle is prepped to send to SID to be modified!!

droppedaxles.com

I had used the PDF below as a guide to pull these apart, but they were quite a bit different.

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/kingpin.pdf

My spindles (out of a 1949 GMC) did not have retaining rings. Directly below the dust caps was the kingpin.
    I pulled the dust caps and removed some of the excess grease in preperation to press the king pins out the next day at work, where I have access to a press. After I had them cleaned up, out of curiosity I grabbed a hammer and punch and gave the king pin a good whack. To my suprise it moved. 15-20 well placed whacks and the king pin hit the floor. Same with the other side.
    Both sides were clearly well lubed, so I am sure this played a huge roll in there ease of removal.

[​IMG]

How do I know f I need oversized Kingpins when I replace them?

7. Coach529

Coach529

Finally got enough furniture moved out of the garage and organized that "Henry" was able to move indoors. Not sure for how long. For now he will have to remain mobil.
    First stop was a quick trip to the carwash to clean off the rear frame rails. 63 years of dust and dirt had packed into everything. Plenty of looks on the way to and from the car wash. Even had a couple gawkers while I was washing. :cool:

[​IMG]

Once I got him home I back him into his temporary parking spot and went to work right away. Removing old mufller brackets, lever shocks and overloads was first on the agenda. Of course nothing come apart easy. A 4-1/2" grinder and a skinny wheelis the most used tool for the day.

[​IMG]

After the rear rails were free of excess I turned my attention to the drivers side floor
    I got the cab mount bolt out after some persuasion. I got the e-brake pedal disassembled and was ready to cut the floor out when I ran out of time. Tomorrow is another day!!

[​IMG]

Trying to figure out what I am going to use for paint on the floor, interior and rear frame rails.

POR-15?

KBS coatings?

There is some surface rust in the cab floor, door jams and interior door panels. Not sure if I can just wire wheel it of and prime or if I should use a special paint.
    We are going with a non tradition paint color in the interior. Flat or Satin Black

8. 59 brook

59 brook

we used a 59 ford 9" rear and just welded the spring perches on for my freinds '53 3600. he wanted to stay stock but kept overheating the rebuilt even from running 65-70. we looked for parts for the stock rear. his had 5.13 butcouldn't find anything else available. ford 9" are plentiful, easy to get parts, can be built to any strength you need and many ratio's are available

9. Coach529

Coach529

Thanks fo the info.

10. I have not seen you in the AD truckers group. you and your truck would be a great fit. lots of great info and knowledge.

11. shadams

shadams

Very cool, I cant believe how good that truck came out after a little CLR. Mine looked better after CLR, not better than yours, ha) but has apparently been about 5 different colors over its long hard life. Anyway, enjoyed reading your thread, brings back some memories of when I first started. Gotta love a grinder and a shit load of cutting discs...

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  12. Great thread, and awesome photography!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

13. Coach529

Coach529

Two steps forward........3 steps back.

My axle is at Sid's getting lowered and I am progressing as fast as my family and checkbook will allow. Both available time and available cash are equally strained. :mad:

Napa had a water pump on hand.....so I tried to replace that last night. Should be a pretty straight forward......I have done one in the past. Bolted it up, but somehow must have wrinkled the gasket, because the bugger leaked. Steady stream out the bottom on both corners of the block. Damn. I didn't think a guy could screw it up....but I did.

Also found out my radiator is leaking. Double Damn!!

Pulled the radiator and new water pump. Smashed my thumb pulling off a heater hose. Nice black and blue thumbnail this morning.

Radiator is going to the scrap yard. Ordered a new water pump gasket from Rockauto as well as some plug wires and a side cover gasket.

Saving my pennies and will buy a Alum radiator off Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ALL-ALUMINUM-RADIATOR-1947-1954-CHEVY-TRUCK-2-ROW-1-CUSTOMER-SERVICE-/281010226433?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1951%7CMake%3AChevrolet%7CModel%3ATruck&hash=item416d83c501&vxp=mtr[/URL"]http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ALL-ALUMINUM-RADIATOR-1947-1954-CHEVY-TRUCK-2-ROW-1-CUSTOMER-SERVICE-/281010226433?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1951%7CMake%3AChevrolet%7CModel%3ATruck&hash=item416d83c501&vxp=mtr"]http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ALL-ALUMINUM-RADIATOR-1947-1954-CHEVY-TRUCK-2-ROW-1-CUSTOMER-SERVICE-/281010226433?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1951%7CMake%3AChevrolet%7CModel%3ATruck&hash=item416d83c501&vxp=mtr[/URL]

14. Coach529

Coach529

Two steps forward........3 steps back.

My axle is at Sid's getting lowered and I am progressing as fast as my family and checkbook will allow. Both available time and available cash are equally strained. :mad:

Napa had a water pump on hand.....so I tried to replace that last night. Should be a pretty straight forward......I have done one in the past. Bolted it up, but somehow must have wrinkled the gasket, because the bugger leaked. Steady stream out the bottom on both corners of the block. Damn. I didn't think a guy could screw it up....but I did.

Also found out my radiator is leaking. Double Damn!!

Pulled the radiator and new water pump. Smashed my thumb pulling off a heater hose. Nice black and blue thumbnail this morning.

Radiator is going to the scrap yard. Ordered a new water pump gasket from Rockauto as well as some plug wires and a side cover gasket.

Saving my pennies and will buy a Alum radiator off Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ALL-ALUMINUM-RADIATOR-1947-1954-CHEVY-TRUCK-2-ROW-1-CUSTOMER-SERVICE-/281010226433?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1951%7CMake%3AChevrolet%7CModel%3ATruck&hash=item416d83c501&vxp=mtr[/URL]

15. I know the feeling, my pocket book keeps me in check and my speed slow. I have allot of extra parts and one is a radiator I would be more than happy to ship it off to you for just shipping costs. Just pm me if you want it.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

16. Coach529

Coach529

Things are looking up.

Gulfstream87 is sending me a stock radiator for the cost of freight. Pretty damn excited about that. Nice to know there are still good people in this world!!

Sid shot me an email, my axle is done. He is waiting on my steering arms which I sent a couple days later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Coach529

Coach529

Not much headway lately. Just collecting parts and saving cash.
    Got my dual master cylinder with prop valve, new water pump gasket and some new spark plug wires.

Sid called, my axle is done and steering and pitman arms are modified. Decided to just send him my spindles and have him install new bushings and line bore everything with new king pins. It will arrive ready to bolt on!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Coach529

Coach529

Got a couple hours of precious garage time today.

Water pump is back on with a new gasket. :)

I bought a new 12V heater fan motor from Classic Parts. Not impressed. Bolts did not line up so I was forced to redrill for them. Diameter is dfferent so the rubber gasket on the firewall does not fit tight.
    Installed a new 12V fan switch as well.

[​IMG]

All works great!!

The defrost/ heat cable is seized up. That is tomorrow's task.....one of them anyway.

19. Coach529

Coach529

OK......a little more progress.

Behind and under the seat scrubbed, etched and painted with KBS coatings, satin black. The stuff seems pretty easy to use. Not to foul of a odor even in a small area. Prep was the toughest part. 62 years of dirt and some surface rust is what I started with.

A wire wheel on a grinder would have been quicker.......but would have made a hell of a dusty mess in the garage. Decided to use a really stiff bristle brush and some hoat soapy water, rinse and repeat until clean. A wet dry vac was used for clean up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While I was at it the back wall and doors were scrubbed since I have decided to leave the inside the way it is. My wife and I went back and forth on whether or not to paint the interior........we decided the current paint/ wear/ rust combination was too cool to cover up. Patina Rules!!

[​IMG]

Before I scrubbed the doors the weather stripping was pulled and a wire wheeled the glue away. All ready for new stuff.

[​IMG]

Next on the agenda was the Mouse Toilet. I needed to strip the seat cover off the lower seat. Yuck!! 30+ years of heavy mouse activity was tough on it!!

[​IMG]

Proper PPE was used.

[​IMG]

After a little cutting and swearing the cover was stripped and disposed of properly. Ready for my homemade mexican blanket seat cover!!

[​IMG]

Next step the heater hoses were installed.

[​IMG]

Done for another day!!

[​IMG]

20. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Love those old trucks.You got a real goodie with some family history.Looking good.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

21. Looks great. Subscribed!

22. cool50chevy

cool50chevy

i have a 1950 3600 with 235 and t5 original rearend low gears not sure ratio but with t5 she tacks about 1500 at 50 mph works great really decent fuel mileage and major upgrade from granny 4 speed she was screamin at 30 lol

23. Coach529

Coach529

I managed a couple hours today while the kids were playing with all their new toys!!

I put some cheap hush matt like material to the area I painted and installed the tank and hooked up the fill line and vent. I need to run some new fuel line to the fuel pump and it will be ready to add fuel.

[​IMG]

I also put the hush matt type material under the complete seat and started build a sub box. Every hot rod needs a good stereo right?? Not sure how good it is going to be.......time will tell. Probably go the Walmart route. Midrange deck, a couple 6 x 9's behind the seat. Qty 2 5" speakers in the dash and the sub under the seat.

[​IMG]

A little more trimming to get it to sit better on the floor. Then sand, paint and fasten in place!!

[​IMG]

24. Coach529

Coach529

A bigger 6 cyl with a T5 is my long term goal.

25. Coach529

Coach529

Milestone night tonight. I bent some tubing and now Henry is running on his own fuel tank for the first time of this whole project.

Sorry....no pictures!!

Time for a drink!!! Whoohoo!!

26. Coach529

Coach529

Not much new on the project. Just stacking up parts for when I have some time to get some stuff done.

My radiator from Gulfstream87 showed up this week. Thanks man!!

[​IMG]

I also received my dropped axle from Sid. Everything looks great. I got the whole meal deal from Sid. All new modern tie rods ends, drag link. New installed King Pins. Should be better than new.

[​IMG]

I ordered my new U-Bolts online last night. Need to order some caster shims and I should be almost ready to go.

I need to go to the local junkyard and find some Chevy 5 bolt steel wheels with some rubber on them for rollers for now until I decided on what I am going to run.

Also need to find a rear end and figure out what I am going to do about a driveshaft. Probably end up with a 4 x 4 S-10 rear end.

Studebakermatt likes this.
  27. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

A 95 Impala SS rear fits really nice, also.

28. Coach529

Coach529

I already have a prop valve set up for Disc Drum though........

29. Coach529

Coach529

Struggling with some water pump woes and could use some insight.

When I fired "Henry" up from his 30 year slumber, the water pump was leaking though the pulley seal. No big deal, I had a spare pump that came with the truck. I installed that pump and it also leaked.

I ordered a new pump from my local Napa. Once it arrived I installed it and found it leaking between the pump and block. I also found the radiator was leaking.

I pulled the radiator and the pump. I was thinking maybe I folded the gasket over or something. The gasket tore upon disassembly so no concrete evidence was found.

I thought possible the gasket surface was not as clean as it needed to be.

[​IMG]

I cleaned up the gasket area "hospital" clean and installed the pump with a new gasket. I installed my new "used" radiator....new hoses and button everything up.

Started dumping in water and got to the third gallon before I could hear it hitting the floor.....dammit!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am going to go out and pull the radiator and pump to see if I can see anything wrong.

Any advice??

30. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

If your original brake drums are good they are in demand as no one makes them- they
    fit the 3/4 ton and one ton huck brake trucks. Advertise them on some of the more restoration oriented sites and you might get some $ to help with your build. I plan to do
    much the same as you are doing with my 50 3/4 ton, even have a 49 1/2 ton axle also!
    Jim

volvobrynk likes this.