Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do you keep motivated to finish?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Swiss50chevy, Jan 25, 2013.

1. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

I find something small that I can tackle in one day, even if it's something that doesn't NEED to be done right now. For example, I've been replacing rusted metal for darn near a year now, and have grown really tired of making panels. So, I restored the gauges the other day. Was it crucial that they get done then, no, but it was something that I could start and finish relatively quickly and see some completion in short order. Those things always give me motivation. You could also shine some chrome, clean taillight lenses, etc. Little things that need to be done eventually...

2. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

Try working on something not related to body work.....

3. cartoon14

cartoon14

help a buddy work on his car for a few days always worked for me. I used to think I lacked motivation but hell I got friends who've had 'em sit around the shop 10 years or more with no progress.

4. robertsregal

robertsregal

try working a couple panels and get them into the primer stage this will show you progress and will keep you moving forward or dedicate a couple of full days to the car and get the whole car in primer. In my time as a auto body tech some times you have to get angry and tell yourself this son of a b!!!! will be in primer by the end of the day. Seeing progress helps!!

5. das858

das858

Like many have already said, take a break for a week or two, go to a car show and get some inspiration, dig up some old magazine articles on cars that interest you, when you come back to it, work on a small project unrelated to body work that you can complete in a day, and than go back to body work.

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Lack of money can bring a project to a halt and kill any motivation, here is what I started a few months ago. Get a box and start collecting all the odds and ends around the shop, basement, attic, were ever you have unneeded crap. It is crap to you, but chanches are someone out there needs it, and will pay for it. "That auction site" has a section for everything, when it sells leave the money in PayPal. In a while you will have some project money. Nothing better than buying parts with found money. Buying parts that allow you to finish one part of the build and move on to another is a sure sign of progress. Bob

7. big bad john

big bad john

....I have lots of friends helping me....

8. ChefMike

ChefMike

seeing finished vehicles is what keeps me going and a brother in-law that thinks I 'll give up and should just buy a completed vehicle. To him I say hell - NO !!

9. It's easy to be motivated at first. Jump in with both feet and go crazy. But burn out definitely happens when all the (fun) stuff is done and all your left with is the work, I burned out on my 36. So I just shot some primer on it to get it on the road after 2 years of work. Having it in one color is definitely a motivator, car looks cool as shit. . Now that it's on the road I realize that driving a roadster sucks and want to sell. It really is an illness.

10. GREASER815

GREASER815

I enjoy going places in my car, usually enough motivation to keep pushing and get back on the road again.

11. bigvinny

bigvinny

set small goals. Like I will mock up trans mount today. or I will get one door sanded today. Or take a brake and clean-organize shop. it clears your mind.

12. Again going in circles and not acomplishing anything will kill motivation.
    Even a cat gets fed up with chasing its tail.

I still see paint and lots of it, what are you filling ( dents, wrinkled, cracked paint ? ) and what are you filling it with on top of the old paint ?

13. Von Richthofen

Von Richthofen

Just keep at it when its finished you,ll feel
    great and realize all the sanding cuts and busted knuckels are worth it
    when your driving it .

14. gsport

gsport

i read the HAMB for motivation... doesn't always work, but it helps. hmmmm, now after reading this i might go out in the shop today for awhile...

15. Another thing that helps is to post photos of what you have been able to accomplish,,believe me the members hear love photos and 99 % of the reply's will be positive if you adhere to the style that is Hamb friendly.

Believe me there were times when I almost lost interest in my project but posted a photo or two and the encouragement was overwhelming.

The guys that may have a project similar to what you are working on or had one can be your biggest cheerleaders,they want to see you succeed and when you post again they will reply.

Good luck and try and stay focused. HRP

16. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

You must be from the left coast. I hear that the toilet water spins the opposite direction when you flush over there too. Lol

17. Mildsteel

Mildsteel
    from VALE N.C.

You could sell it then where would you be? No where! But now yoursome where between SCREW THIS AND GOOD ENOUGH. NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
    This is what I did preparing my 67 Chevelle. A friend of mine is an excellent body man( who ended up painting my Chevelle } and I would ask him to stop by and take a look. Every time I thought I was done he'd saya little more here and a little there and finally he said thats it now we will paint it. then boom the carseem to build it self.Bazinga!

18. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Ask the wife if there is anything she wants done to the house. After some of that you will be dying to get back to work on the Hotrod. Don't ask me how I know!

19. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

take a brake..i took one 25 years ago on my 40 coupe, now i'm working on it every day, like having a new project. moonshine festival got me fired up. hope to drive it there this year.

20. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

boy, talking about dancing with the devil.... that might be enough motivation to get you through the longest block sanding session. [​IMG]

21. Not wanting the Wife saying I told you so.:cool: Also if I stay in the house I may have to watch the Hallmark channel:eek:

22. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Its gonna look and feel like shit right up till it suddenly looks real fine. Power thru that.

23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

24. 62131

from glasgow,ky

I read the builds on the Hamb and I go to the garage to keep from watching her TV shows

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  25. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I was raised to finish what you start!

26. DAVEO!

DAVEO!

when i start getting burned out i go on youtube or what not look up the car im building then i get motivated to keep on moving forward.

27. groundpounder

groundpounder
    Member Emeritus

Good to hear I'm not the only one!....side jobs get in the way also! Been working on a side job for the past year, and just got finished with it!....took a couple weeks off!...now I'm on day three of my project. It's been 4 years and finally looking like something!...I have found cleaning the shop motivates me!,,,,Beer is also a good motivator!...hang in there and read the HAMB!

28. poor boy pumpkin

poor boy pumpkin

My opinion..... Walkin away and takin a break is for "old guys" and pussies that give up. ;) Anyways, my point is you need the vision in your head and the discipline to finish. A whole project can be overwhelming all at once. You know how a car goes together so one list of shit at a time. Second thing that helps me is make it a point to do something on it everyday. All day or 1/2 hour doesnt matter. The only way to finish is to start. And look at it this way, youre either the guy with the bad ass car or youre the guy wishin you had a bad ass car. Witch one are you? :)

29. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

It would help if my friends had same interests in classic cars and could lend a hand. But we can't all be perfect :)

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

30. You need new friends!:D HRP