Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine Mounting Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pila38, Jan 26, 2013.

1. pila38

pila38

I know that my motor-plate is not exactly traditional, but it fits what I plan to do with my truck and where it will be going in the future. It's a 1/4" thick aluminum plate mounted to the frame using 1/8" angle stock that I had in my garage. I'm also using using some rubber shackle seals between the steel and aluminum at each bolt to reduce vibration and account for the fact that steel and aluminum don't generally get along when mounted together. My question is: Will the 1/8" angle be enough, or should I remake the mounts in 3/16" or 1/4". I made the mounts so that the one in front of the plate bolted to the one in the rear of the plate, but the pics will probably do a better job of explaining. Eric
    Ignore the fasteners, only being used for mock-up. They will be grade 8 when final assembled.

Attached Files:

2. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

I think you're fine with 1/8". That's what mine are. The plate is just for rotation. The limiters hold the weight front to back. Plus if it were me I'd ditch any rubber.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  3. cartoon14

cartoon14

we make them out of 3/16 but only because I keep 3/16 in stock at the shop. I agree 1/8 should be fine (in the old days we used SS hose clamps for crying out loud)

4. pila38

pila38

Thanks guys. Mat- I am running limiters,on both sides, because I'm a paranoid bastard! I guess thats where this question came from also. I LOVE your truck by the way.

5. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Thanks for the compliment. I run them on both sides also. I'm pretty paranoid about shit like this too. I would say it's always better to overbuild then underbuild.

6. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

You should put your mounting tabs on the back. Having the plate sandwiched like that will make it a bitch to pull the motor later.

I would also recommend a rubber trans mount so that any chassis flex will not stress the transmission.

7. pila38

pila38

That's part of the reason for the rubber too. It leaves a little gap to make getting the plate in and out easier. I pulled it once already and it wasn't too much of a struggle to get it back in. And I will definitely be using a rubber trans mount. Thanks Tinman for the advice.

8. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

Maybe not traditional but VERY ,VERY cool!

9. pila38

pila38

Thanks Ghost.