Register now to get rid of these ads!

1956 Chevy 210 Handyman inheritance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HandymanMan, Jan 19, 2013.

1. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Hmmmm, sounds like a photoshop moment in the making.:D I too hope you'll be able to save the 409, the cool factor would be through the roof with the cars history. Subscribed for sure!

2. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

How about something like this?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  3. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Don't do that^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^stay true to your Father-in-Laws vision.

4. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

Eli is judt funin plus showing his photoshop talent. He couldn t resist .... lol

5. I bought a 56 2dr wagon for $125 with radius cut wheel wells. Welded the quarters back up and sold it for $1600. Wish I never sold it, but you shouldn't cut the quarters. Another vote for the 409, by the way!

6. if the steering setup is the "old" 605 conversion they work killer and they are easy to do as the stock box and the 605 parts seem to be made for each other. i simply cut the lower end off the stock box for the mounting and put modified sector shaft in 605 box. simple!

7. HandymanMan

HandymanMan

OahuEli, HAH! Thanks for the few minutes put into the picture! While the Cragar S/S wheels aren't my style, I'd love an Offy-capped 409 with long tubes like that!

I've decided that if I can get the motor broken free, I'll run it. I know newer 454 oil pumps and other assorted parts will work on the W motors; hopefully just a set of rings, dingleberry hone, bearings, a fresh, relatively conservative cam, lifters, and gaskets will get me back in the game long enough so I can run 'er around oohing and aahing old guys at the car shows! :)

I kinda just want to clear-coat the body as it is! Hah!

Anyone know anything about the rear end of these cars? How strong are they? I don't intend to beat on the car, but bringing it to the Nostalgia drags up in Winterport would be pretty neat, I'm not gonna lie. The rearend looks like a 9" Ford, kinda...

8. slammed

slammed

Sounds like a '57-'64 Olds Pontiac rear end. A stock 5-7 rear will only handle mild sbc. Take some pix of your set up.

9. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)How about a motor home type cam grind ? :eek:just asking?:D Bill aka Tnomoldw

Attached Files:

10. BobG

BobG

Very nice... well worth fixing it up. good luck and have fun with it.

11. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Yeah the Cragars weren't my first choice but they were the best fit anglewise in my Photoshop wheel archive. In any event I really look forward to whatever you do to bring the old girl back to life. Eli

12. swbatt

swbatt

Sorry about your loss. Good news about your gain. Great car. I had a Ponti 389 with a 4 speed auto in mine, then a tired 307 w/ powerglide, and a 350/350 now. So what ever you go with sounds good to me. My brothers advice was to get it on the road asap, and the details will work themselves out. It sat for forty years. My brother was right, it's been on the road 5 years now and I am happy it is.
    [​IMG]

Classic Industries has a tri5 catalog now too. Most of these parts places carry each others stuff. I have heard CarsInc has the best sheet metal stuff. Truck & Car Shop carries Tagert /sp?, low cost, lower grade Asian stuff. I have found many items at the local vintage car parts swap meet, and since the interchangeability is so high with GM, don't forget the wrecking yards for mechanical items. Last but not least is use the internet to watch Craigs List, EBay, and the large number of classified ads that most Tri5 sites have. (HAMB, Chevytalk, et al)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  13. lowkroozer

lowkroozer

Hi,,welcome--Try Kanterauto.com ,,They are out of Boonton New Jersy and have complete rebuild kits for all the Chevrolet engines..Request a catalog ,,you will be amazed..Good luck on your build............

14. HandymanMan

HandymanMan

Thanks for the heads up! I will definitely check out these sites and suggestions. I was looking at Danchuk's offerings; they offer a one-piece complete floorboard set, with all the braces, etc, which would seem to me to be the way to go, but who's to say a car made 57 years ago will be square and straight enough to allow this kind of drop-in joy? I would figure two halves (left/right) would allow more leeway...

While I get the whole mechanical side of things, and I'll swap motors and rearends and trannies till the cows come home, I've never really braced a car up and completely removed something as large and structural as a floor; I'm not gonna lie, it's the biggest nail-biting part of this whole automotive journey.

15. YJ4000

YJ4000

What ever happened to this car?

16. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

5 year old thread........... still wish i had the wagon

17. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Yeah, 14 posts, and then he fell off the planet. Probably got an offer he could't turn down. I'd liked to know more about the car, and how it was built. I am Butch/56sedandelivery

18. HandymanMan

HandymanMan

Hey All! So, yes, I did drop off the face of the planet on this project. I ended up dragging the '56 wagon out of the barn it was stored in when my mother in law sold the house, and it went into storage. Last year, I pulled the car out of storage in a bout of motivation and started working on the car. I did end up selling the 409 to a gent in Buffalo, NY, who had a '64 Impala SS that my 409 was date-coded for, so I delivered it to him and use dteh funds to start collecting parts to drop a small block in the car and star rebuilding it to make it safe.

I bought a 4-bolt main ZZ4 block and stabbed some Promaxx heads on it, a Comp XE262 cam, and an Edelbrock intake. Summit 2 1/2" rams horns heads handle the exhaust duties, even though I know they are choking the heads; someday as funds allow it'll get some fenderwell headers - but there's so much else to do.

The front end of the car is mostly stripped; new dual res master cylinder, CPP 1 1/2" lowering springs, new bushings and ball joints, shocks, and drum brake rebuild kits are just waiting on deck for some time to be installed. Gonna keep the Muncie 4-speed..

My 8 year old boy - who never met the grandfather who passed this '56 wagon down to us - has been helping me out a bunch with the wrenching. He loves working with his old man, a trend I hope continues....gotta get the next generation appreciating these old hot rods! My goal is to get the car running on its own power by end of summer, and safety driving by end of next summer.

Attached Files:

19. Cool to see you back on it especially with the help of your boy. Doesn’t get much better than that! I’ll be following along on your progress. :cool:

OahuEli likes this.