Register now to get rid of these ads!

buick fin drums

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dondogarage, Jan 24, 2013.

1. dondogarage

dondogarage
    from richmond

wanting to have fined drums on my 1941 ford axle, what do i need to do to use buick or is there repo drums. Is there any other answer to get that look . thanks

2. manyolcars

manyolcars

Hey new guy there is this thing called 'search'
    The HAMB search doesnt work good but you can use google search with HAMb in the search term and add finned drums, and ford,

3. Yeah... yeah... yeah!

If everybody did a search they wouldn't need you!

The guy asked a question, like so many times sometimes you can't find the answer.

4. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

Lots of info on here about it. I am almost done adding the 90 fin drums to my 40 ford axle. I kept the 40 ford hubs, and am having a friend make a setup of .5 inch spacers so I can keep running the ford steel rims I have.

I posted on a good tech article about it, so just run a search on my name RustyNCA that will bring up some info for ya.

Or contact me, I will give you my story....

Here is a shot of my progress :)

Cheers
    RustyNCA

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. tgd61

tgd61

I used same style drums, Walden hubs, and repo MT Lincoln backing plate and brake kit.
    the shoes are a bit off the radius of the Buick drum. And if you go with Walden hubs the snout diameter is too large to fit some aftermarket steel wheels center bore. Had to machine the snout dia down. Had to trim the MT backing plate lip about 3/16''. Not the cheapest way to go but all ended up working very well and I felt better about using new parts for a function of the car where safety and reliability is important.[​IMG]

6. 28hiboy

28hiboy
    from Milton, Fl

I used Walden hubs with 45 fin drums. No machining of drums if you use Wilson Welding Alum. backing plates. I also used Ford 16in 40-48 rims. Fit like a glove. Bolt on with no machining. How simple is that? Or you could machine Ford hubs and drums several different ways. PS the Walden hubs are multi pattern and I center drilled a bolt to use as a guide for redrilling my drums to go 5 on 5.5. It did cost, but what does it cost to do it wrong? Hope this helped a bit. Randy

7. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

I have a set of 90 fin drums (like in the above photo ) for sale if you are interested , good shape & clean, taken off a Hot Rod ,with the original hubs .

8. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

I thought I had 40-48 rims, maybe I'm wrong. But we are going to run some 8" dia spacers to support the rims we have because they have these little nubs that were supported by the 40 drums that the 90 fin Buick drums wouldn't support? You could see on the 40 drums where the rims had been riding on the drums.

Was really happy that we didn't have to do any machining on the drums the way we did it.