Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 Plymouth needing engine 318 or 400?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Voodoowagon, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

Have had some bad luck on a engine search for my wifes 54 plymouth, some people tell me a 318 out of a A body would go in with new engine mounts and tranny mount. Have a guy down the street with a 400 with a fresh rebuild on it and a possible 727 transmission. Was wondering what kind of complications you guys might see going with a big block?

Or should I just stay on the search of a good 318?

2. Abomination

Abomination

[​IMG]

Why not a 318 Poly (like 29Jay's above)? You can use your same transmission if you get one made between '57 & '61. '62 - '66 uses the same transmissions any small block Mopar will use.

These motors are mostly Small Block Mopar other than the intake, heads, and exhaust and valvetrain.

~Jason

I have a "collection" I'm trying to sell. LOL!

3. I haven't done this swap, but there is a ton of info on here about LA Motors in these cars - the exhaust on the driver's side seems to be the tough part - eased by using an a-body manifold to clear the steering and doing the standard 1.5" offset to the passengers side.

I am thinking a big block with stock steering would be very difficult given the extra width of the B engine, but where theres horsepower and torque, there is a way . . .

4. George

George

The BB takes a big shoehorn with a lot of KY to get it in. To put a 318 in, you need a rear sump set up, dip stick & tube & the oil pump pick up & pan, or engine, from a Van or Pick up. There's a bunch of threads on this, easier for sure than a BB.

5. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

Awesome POLY motor......htey are very cool and make decent power....way cool I have 3-1965 318......

6. LA Motor is a clean fit will run great in 110 degree days with the air on and with a lock up 904 get 20 MPG doing it. I reworked my drivers side manfold I now know a 1990 dakota drivers side will work fine. I used a 77 dodge diplomat drive train drop in as well as the rear axel. even used the drive line.

7. 73RR

73RR

There is mention of a couple B&RB cars over at p15-d24 in addition to the A-LA swaps.
    The B-RB will benefit from a rear mount R&P. The weight of the B&RB is not an issue.

Here is Festers car, 318 and A-body exhaust:

Attached Files:

8. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

Lost a 318 poly already and have heard concerns about it giving us issues

9. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

OK so sounds like a BB is just going to give me more issues, looks like Festers car above has the same steering box as my 54.

10. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

How did I know you'd be in this thread? :)

11. 73RR

73RR

If the price on the 400 is right then it is worth considering. Check with the folks who have done it and ask questions. You will never regret having the available torque.

12. Abomination

Abomination

Because I always show up in every 318 Poly thread, on almost every board online? LOL! :cool:

Okay, I'll admit it - I'm just here pimping my ad:

Large Lot of 318 Polys & Speed Goodies, 4-Speeds (A-833s), Carbs (Strombergs), Etc!
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=752479

~Jason

13. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

I wouldn't look for a 318 LA, go for a 360 you will be much happier and they are just as common, tho 318 poly would be cool or big block, but for size, weight, handling, and power 360's the way to go!

14. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

That is the first time I was told not to go with a LA, just found a 318 Long block at Blaines Engine from a 68-84 mopar for a good price. Does anyone see any major issues?

Im also going to see a 340 tonight but it was rebuilt about 3 years ago and has been sitting.

15. George

George

Actually 318,340 & 360 are all LAs! There are a shit load of Threads on putting LAs into 46-54 Mopars.
    Basicly what he was saying is go for the big CID of the 360, 340 is a strong runner also. Don't forget to get the rear sump set up.

16. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

x2 :D

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  17. 73RR

73RR

A real 340 usually brings big money so even if it has been sitting it may be a good deal to consider. A simple 're-freshing' should not be high dollar, and depending on the storage conditions may need nothing done except for fresh gaskets and seals.

Considering your location there should be plenty of 318 to be had on craigslist...somebody has to be parting a pickup...and you'll want the rear sump pan.
    If you have the storage space buy a complete donor and use all of the little bits and pieces.

18. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

a 318 poly is as wide as a big block 400, so itd be just as easy to use the big block. i lowered a 383 down in my 55 plymouth, and it looks like the front crossmember will be in the way of the oil filter since in comes out the front of the motor, not a problem for my car since im hacking the front frame and adding a straight axle, but may be something you should look into.

19. Abomination

Abomination

Not sure how wide a big block is, but valve-cover-to-valve cover, the 318 Poly is 26" at the widest.

~Jason

20. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth