Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Shoebox interior project on a budget

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WALIG8ER, Jan 8, 2013.

1. chopped

chopped

Interesting, keep us posted.

2. 73RR

73RR

Please explain why we have threads for station wagons, big trucks, or anything after 1960... How can a 1962 Caddy possibly be a 'traditional' rod?
    Better yet, provide a definition of 'traditional' that all can agree on or, make a list of exactly what a 'traditional' car consists of.

Some of you guys need a reality check.:cool:

3. F91

F91

BB blown Ford? I'm in.

4. radconjon

radconjon

Thanks for the informative thread. I am getting ready to start on the interior and you have given me some ideas.
    Thanks
    Jon

5. Gator

Gator

The inside definitely matches the outside now.

6. Hey guys, please take your bitch'n someplace else. If the Mods deem this off topic they will delete it.

7. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

i like it. i will use the info when i do my car.

8. WALIG8ER

WALIG8ER

Was able to make some more progress this weekend. Can't say that I was 100% happy with the results, but I did learn a few things that I can pass along.

[​IMG]

Here are the passenger side panels with my idea of a design...I know, not traditional, but it's what I decided to go with. Plan was to put 1/4" landau foam over the panels and cut out the insert areas. The insert panels would get 1/8" foam attached to them. The smaller line would be left without foam and when the big panels were wrapped in black vinyl, that area would be recessed. The panel inserts would be wrapped with red vinyl. At least that was the idea.

[​IMG]

Here are the panel inserts with 1/8" foam on them and sprayed with glue, ready for the red vinyl.

[​IMG]

Panel inserts glued to the vinyl. 30 degrees outide so we prepared the panels and vinyl in the house. Took them out to the garage to shoot and then back in to dry and finish wrapping.

[​IMG]

Passenger side panels with foam. Cut foam out for panel inserts. Panel inserts are attached with tee nuts in addition to glue.

[​IMG]

Finished drivers side panels. When we installed the black vinyl, we had trouble getting the black to stay glued down in the thinner recessed area. By that time we had the flat areas glued and couldn't do anything about it. So, we decided to make more red insert panels to cover the thinner line. Not sure if we didn't have enough glue or didn't let the glue get tacky enough. I think we could have sewed the corners down, but don't have a commercial strength sewing maching that could go through the vinyl and the panel.

Definitely a rookie job. If I had it to do again I would make the smaller inserts wider and have taken more time to smooth the inserts. But hey, now I know what it takes to make the panels and maybe the next time I'll even make some traditional looking ones.:D

9. Not bad for your first time. Did you use 3m 90 to glue this together? :( You may not have had enough glue along the edges or you didnt let it tack long enough. I like to use a small applicator bottle filled with glue (DAP HHR Landau Top Adhesive) and an acid brush so you can get the glue right in the corners. Also make sure you have good glue coverage on the vinyl. Spray one coat in one direction turn material 90 degrees then spray with glue again and if you like turn it again and give a third coat.

Attached Files:

10. WALIG8ER

WALIG8ER

Thus ends this thread on my attempt to do the interior of my 49 Shoebox on a budget. Here are a couple of pictures of the payoff.

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of the finished door panels with the back seats and center console installed. Still need to do some work around the gauge cluster and install the front seats.

[​IMG]

Another picture of the back seats and center console. Not counting the headliner, I have roughly $850 into the heat insulation, sound deadening, carpet, all panels, and center console construction.

11. 73RR

73RR

I am liking the 4-bucket seat arrangement, ala the 66 Charger.

What are the seats out of? Are the fronts the same?

12. jimstro16

jimstro16

Not exactly my idea of a hot rod interior but I can appreciate the work. It looks good for a first time job and theres something to be said for doing it yourself.

13. WALIG8ER

WALIG8ER

Thanks 73RR. To answer your question, all 4 seats were gladly donated by a couple of BMW's from the mid 90's I believe. They actually cleaned up pretty nice. The back seats have been solid mounted and both front seats are full electric, minus the heated seat capability.

14. tedster

tedster

WALIG8ER, I love shoebox Fords, favorite car. I don't care to see them done like yours but that is just my opinion. Your car and you like that is what matters,all that said I think you did a fantastic job on your interior. I do not see how a first timer could have done any better. Congrats.

15. Good job WALI!!!

16. pointer-1

pointer-1

Great thread !!! I never would have thought of Buckets in back and the console is nice touch. I am not that far along yet but definitly gives me incentive.Thanks.

17. WALIG8ER

WALIG8ER

Thanks tedster, Jim & pointer. Definitely a labor of love and it's nice to see a light at the end of the tunnel...at least for the interior in the cabin. Now if I only knew what the heck I was going to do with the trunk. But at least that can be done this summer as I am enjoying driving the car in some comfort.

18. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Great job. All your tips and procedures can carry over to a traditional interior job as well. Best of all you did it yourself. Even if not my style I appreciate the outcome, the posts and tips. Well done and to me it fits the car. I call "SHOTGUN" when you head to Myrtle Beach.

19. 226 flattie

226 flattie
    from orange,ca

Looking good. My hat is off to you . your wife is willing to help and is letting you get away with using kitchen counter. Keep up the good work .