Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My '50 2-door Chevy Deluxe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1sik38coupe, Jan 23, 2013.

1. 1sik38coupe

1sik38coupe
    from Las Vegas

Ok, I have been working on my car build for a few weeks now and decided to start a build thread.

The car is a 1950 chevrolet deluxe, 2-door hardtop. I bought it several years ago from a guy near Carson City, NV for $700, after seeing it on e-bay and it didn't sell. It came with the front sub-frame with complete suspension and rear axle from a '72 Nova. All the body parts, grille, dash, and bumpers came with the car but there was no motor, trans, interior or glass. Someone had already cut out some rust and welded in new rocker panels and patched the rear fenders (although the driver's side is a mess). The rest of it looks pretty solid.

It was sitting at my EX-father-in-law's house, so by way of getting divorced, I was forced to move it to my house. But having it in the drive-way has forced me to start working on it, so I'm actually very happy about it now!

I want to make it a real mild custom, that can be a daily driver. I have a 350 SB and a turbo 400 trans I plan on putting into it. I would like to chop it (eventually), French the headlights and make the hood a one piece. Other than that, I just want to get it on the road as soon as I can, and drive the Hell out of it!!!

Here are a few shots:

Attached Files:

2. 1sik38coupe

1sik38coupe
    from Las Vegas

Here she is after I got her pushed back into the garage. The hood is in the background and there is a pic of the motor (under a bunch of crap) and the trans.

Attached Files:

3. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Looks like a good start! Keep us posted. Also that's a 2door post not a hardtop.

4. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> Good luck with your build. Nice start , keep us posted on your progress.
    Here is a mild custom.
    <!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]-->

Attached Files:

5. 1sik38coupe

1sik38coupe
    from Las Vegas

After a lot of thought, some research, and a long hard look at what I had, I decided to install a mustang II front suspension. I know that isn't the traditional route and I truely am sorry if that offends anyone here, but I want to be able to drive this car anywhere, anytime and to all the car and bike shows I can. I do not believe in having a trailer queen, which means a lot of freeway driving at 70+ mph. Also my ol'lady and kids will be in it all the time, so my first concern is safety and second is comfort. Based on that I wanted a solid smooth ride with replacement parts readily available.

The Nova sub frame I got with the car was in pretty bad shape and would need to be stripped down, with all the bushing replaced. It also has drum brakes, so I would have to swap them out for disc. It was gonna be way more work to use it than it was worth.

I'd been stashing money away with plans on doin a performance rebuild/upgrade on my Harley but figured since it aint broke It can wait.

I ordered a complete fatman mark II front end kit and rear axlt kit as well. Here's all the boxes that showed up and a shot of the instructions:

Attached Files:

6. 1sik38coupe

1sik38coupe
    from Las Vegas

After the parts showed up, I stripped off the original suspension. It was held on with 8 bolts on each side and with a little bit of WD-40, it came right off. Only took about an hour.

Once I got all the metal cleaned up, I had a friend come over and do the welding for me. I have a miller mig welder and know how to use it, but just didn't trust my skills on something as important as the suspension. Since my buddy is certified and a gearhead himself, he agreed to help me for free (If you don't count a bottle of his favorite poison, but that was only after I insisted on giving him something!) It's good to have skilled friends.

Here's the before, during, and after:

Attached Files:

7. 1sik38coupe

1sik38coupe
    from Las Vegas

The following weekend I got all the suspension parts bolted in. The instructions say to leave out the coil springs until the final assembly under complete vehicle weight (motor, trans, glass, etc.) They also provide some short pieces of tubing that install on the shocks to keep them from colapsing all the way. Since I'm going to have to take it all apart again later, I also left out the zerk fitings and only made everything hand tight.

Attached Files:

8. 62131

from glasgow,ky

Your front end looks great, keep us posted on your progress

9. 1sik38coupe

1sik38coupe
    from Las Vegas

Thanks! Gotcha, not a hardtop, cause that would imply convertible, right?

10. 1sik38coupe

1sik38coupe
    from Las Vegas

Thank you. And that's a great looking car! Very clean, I hope mine ends up similar.

11. 1sik38coupe

1sik38coupe
    from Las Vegas

Thank you, I hope to be able to post updates once a week or once every two weeks. I'm really excited about starting this build and hope to stay motivated.

12. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

Will be watching this one with interest.

13. 1sik38coupe

1sik38coupe
    from Las Vegas

I got the tie rod ends and the rack and pinion steering all bolted in. This is such a simple set up, way less parts then with a gear box. I have never dealt with this type of steering before and was very surprised with how easy it went in.

Here she is with the tires back on!

Attached Files:

14. 1sik38coupe

1sik38coupe
    from Las Vegas

I picked up a set of these 1500 lb car dollies from harbor frieght. With the coupon they were only $80 for all four. They work great!! I was able to push the car around by myself.

If you notice how empty the garage looks, that's cause I'm selling my house and moved in with my new (and much better) ol'lady. Yeah I know my life sounds like a reality show.

Attached Files:

15. iarodder

iarodder

No a hardtop does not mean convertible, the sedan has the frames around the door glass when you open the door and a post at the B-pillar. the hardtop has none of the above, when you roll down both windows there is no "post" Looks like a nice start to a project though.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  16. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Good luck. Here is my current attempt at a mild custom or kustom. Still have to mount skirts, and bumpers

Attached Files:

17. 1sik38coupe

1sik38coupe
    from Las Vegas

I needed a cherry picker, so I hit H.F. again, with the coupon it was only $100. That place is worse than wal-mart.

I started stripping stuff off the motor to make it easier to move around. And I plan on having a machine shop go through it for me anyway, so I have to take off all the bolt on stuff.

I ordered a set of motor mounts from Rock's Rod & Custom, which came in last Friday.

I tried to line it up but quickly realized, I'm gonna need the transmission in there too, to make sure I get it all straight and in the right spot. I'm not sure if the stock cross member will work or if I'll have to take it out and make a new one. I'm thinking of doing that anyway and using some 2x3 square tubing and steel plate. I figure that way I can make it bolt in, so If I have to drop it later for some unseen reason I won't have to pull it out with the engine. Keep in mind this is my first time taking on this kind of project so any input is greatly appreciated.

And that pretty much brings everything up to date:

Attached Files:

18. 1sik38coupe

1sik38coupe
    from Las Vegas

Ok, thank you, I understand completely now. With that being said, I love that look, maybe when I chop it I can make it a hardtop, but that is a long ways away.

19. 1sik38coupe

1sik38coupe
    from Las Vegas

Thanks! That's another great looking car, I like the blue. And the lakes pipes look cool, that is something I would like to add to mine. What part of SC are you in? I grew up in Abbeville County.

20. iarodder

iarodder

Just my .02 cents worth but If you chop it I wouldnt want to try to eliminate the pillars to do a hardtop, but it would look sick with a lil slant in the B-pillars.:D There are quite a few chop top 49-52 Chevy's on here study a lot before pickin up the sawzall.LOL It only takes one bad cut to ruin a chop job. I would like to chop my fast back but Its a ton more work to do one and I'm nervous aboutt the thought of doin it, but the results are worth it. Check out the fleetline that Bass customs did, it's inspiratioon for me on mine.:cool:

Kustomline54 likes this.
  21. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice start. Build it the way you want it. Good luck!

22. 1sik38coupe

1sik38coupe
    from Las Vegas

Thanks, I just went throught the first 10 pages of your build. It's awesome, I can't believe how much work you've done on that car. I have a few questions that I'm gonna pm you with.

I have all kinds of ideas with how I want the car to look, but I'm sure I'll change ideas a dozen times before it's done. And I realize some things that might sound cool or look good in my head just aren't achievable because of structure and basic design engineering. But what the hey, in the end I guess all that matters is it's safe and that I'm happy with how it turns out.

23. lawman

lawman

Look's sooo good !!! Keep posting.

24. 1sik38coupe

1sik38coupe
    from Las Vegas

25. 1sik38coupe

1sik38coupe
    from Las Vegas

Thanks, I just hope I can keep it going. I want to be able to drive it by the end of this year.

26. gsport

gsport

cool... another thread build. real close to what i'm doing with mine right now..
    keep us posted on your progress

27. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Looks like a nice start,keep it up!

28. 1sik38coupe

1sik38coupe
    from Las Vegas

Thanks, I have to move her to the new house this weekend. No more big open garage space. I'm gonna have to put in a 220 outlet also before I can run my welder. It's gonna slow down the progress a bit, but I'm determined to keep at it.

29. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's what I did:

My laundry room backs up to garage wall, so I switched to a natural gas dryer and turned the 240v dryer outlet 180 degrees into the garage.

Cheaper to dry clothes with gas anyway. Easy to split a new flex copper gas line in the crawl space from kitchen cooktop to laundry room.

I bought 25 ft of size 6 electric wire from Lowe's and made a welding extension cord, works perfect. :)

30. JVK54

JVK54

Sweet. I'll be watching. Check out my build thread if you are thinking about a chop..if ya want.