Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1st build - '30 sedan/'32 chassis - UPDATE 11/12/13 PROJECT COMPLETE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olskoolrodder, Jan 23, 2013.

1. October of 2010 I got a call about a guy selling a "project sedan". After two years of experience I have learned that most importantly you need to know the direction you want to go before buying someone else's project car. Long story short, I wanted to attempt a ground up build by myself to see if I could do it. Now, I am about a month away from paint and over two years into my first true build. I now look at cars at shows completely different, I have a complete and total respect for every builder out here. This was an experience I wouldn't trade for anything but, at times a true test of my patience for sure...
    After a few years now in this hobby I have found that my tastes lean more towards the early lake style racers or just the early hot rods in general. So, this is the style I was trying for... Shooting for 2013 Lone Star Round-up completion. Go easy on me, again this was my first build.

These are pics from when I went to look at the "project" that was for sale
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not real sure what the thinking was behind the rear 4 bar location
    [​IMG]

I decided to order a '32 frame from Gary Maxwell @ BLACKBOARD HOTRODS after reading a few threads about his frames, his quality and prices are fantastic. Thanks to Marcy for bringing it back from Bakersfield, Ca. for me.
    [​IMG]

I think there has been multilple threads about expandable foam... so, enough said
    [​IMG]

off to the sand blaster
    [​IMG]

while I was waiting for Gary to build my frame I decided to cut down the '42 Mercury dash I picked up from a fello HAMBer and graft it to the stock model A dash.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

frame arrived. time to build the sub floor
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  2. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

after seeing the finished dash I thought I would see if I could make a channel and match the chrome part on the dash and carry it thru the floor
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Looks good to me.:) HRP

4. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

wow man great job...keep posting pictures.....

5. I decided to go with the top insert from Howell www.fordor.com and the visor with holes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also swapped the front disc brakes for drums and drilled the back plates
    [​IMG]

I know I am jumping around a bit, sorry.. I also tackled the chop on a rainy weekend. I should of asked for help, probably would of been easier with another person... I went with a 3 1/2" chop.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

found some great gauges along the way... restored by Morris Gauges.
    the old Maring & co. ad
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

That's pretty awesome, dude.... I like it.

7. I did have to do some major re-work to the brake pedal assembly that was included with my "project". I probably could of gone an easier route but I was trying to use whatever I could from the initial purchase since I scraped the disc brakes and frame.
    this is the stock frame mount pedal assembly. To get the pedal to the right of the steering column I needed to stretch the entire bracket and rod then offset the pedal arm
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know I am going to get some grief for the late model tilt column but, I am a big guy and I gave in for comfort since I plan on making some long trips. I used a flathead connecting rod for my column mount. This has not proved to be strong enough, I plan on adding triangle gussets to the sides to stiffen the support. I get a lot of shake while driving.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also found some old '65 Mustang seats, again for comfort reasons. I would of liked to of gone with bomber style seats but I thought for long drives these would be more comfortable. I fab'd some basic mounts and made them adjustable so they could be tilted back as needed.
    [​IMG]

The only real metal damage was in the rear inner fender liners due to previous owner wanting to make the sedan into a heavily channeled car. I wanted it to look as if I just pulled the fenders so I added all the studes and nuterts back into their original locations.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    marked rear axle cut out, fixing to cut it out.
    [​IMG]

Back to the frame... I wanted to run the exhaust thru the frame so I welded some 3" exhaust pipe in at the angle I wanted then made some 2.5" stainless tips that I welded flanges to so I could bolt them to the inside of the frame to minimize rattling.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After I finished the frame I sprayed it with black lacquer and clear coat.
    epoxy primer
    [​IMG]
    paint
    [​IMG]

MOTOR INSTALL - DONE
    TRANNY INSTALL - DONE
    MAKE EXHAUST - DONE
    RUN BRAKE LINES - DONE

Almost ready to drop the body back on the frame.
    [​IMG]

Bought a set of E&J headlights in need of damn near every new part I could get from Steve's Restorations.
    [​IMG]

Body work and lots of it...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  8. in order to make the E&J's look right I had to extend the light bar back about 4" otherwise they stuck out way to far.
    [​IMG]

after changing my mind 50 times I decided to go with an exterior color which was on a 1948 VW. Bordeaux Red with a glossy black interior, Wimbelton white firewall and wheels.
    My fatal attempt of sketching my build one night
    [​IMG]

here is the color I plan on going with for my exterior
    [​IMG]
    STAY TUNED...

9. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Damn, you look like an old pro. DASH is bad ass, as well as the strips that run the floor. What are the final colors???Love the direction and attention to detail.

10. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Very nice job and really cool looking sedan...

11. Fogger

Fogger

Great project and vision. Can't go wrong with a Model A on a '32 frame, especially one from Gary. Looking forward to seeing the finish, perfect choice of components.

12. The car and work is excellent,,my only problem is you NEED to release the Capslk.:rolleyes: HRP

13. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

It's a beautiful car but I have to ask about the fuel lines. Are those really hard lines going from the firewall to the carbs?

14. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

15. flathead okie

flathead okie

Hot Rod brought back from HELL. Great Job.

16. Looking very good, keep going, I can't wait to see it painted.

17. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

absolutely perfect

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is really starting to look like a real hot rod. The color choice sounds like one of those timeless colors that will never look dated.

19. NealinCA

NealinCA

My thoughts as well...you need some flex in there.

20. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

nice build,think I'd get some flex in your fuel lines

21. I would rethink the hard lines to the carburetors,,being attached to the firewall when the engine flexes the hard line will not. HRP

22. I got the hard fuel line police after me too. I changed mine. It's all good, dig your car!

23. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Great looking build but I've never been a fan of those headlights, but that's just me.

24. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Really cool looking hot rod.

I like everything about it.

Wheels/tires, stance, chop, headlights, dash.... good job, cant wait to see it in paint!

25. 510madmav

510madmav

26. brady1929

brady1929

27. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Beautiful work, I love it.

Just one question: I see that the fuel lines are rigid. Don't you need to account for some engine motion with a little flex line or hose?

Edit: oops, I now see that others have asked the same Q. Sorry for the redundancy.

28. Regarding the gas lines... It is a concern which I will likely have to rethink but my motor mounts are pretty rigid and the high pressure compression fitting have a large buna-n o-ring giving quite a bit of flex as well as the alum lines is pretty soft. I actually ordered too large of diameter. My plan was to give each line a loop but thought I would at least try it first since I had already bought the crap.

My other big regret was not going with the rear buggy spring. I hate seeing the coil overs in the back. First build, lots I would of done different or can still change in the future I guess.

Thanks for all the nice comments!

Ha ha... Yes, sorry about the cap locks I was at work looking over my shoulder the whole time I was doing this and I work in a CAD program that requires CAPS lock to be on. Please forgive... Need to stay employed.

29. skyrodder

skyrodder

Sweet!!! Are you on Old Katy? Im one of the FedEx drivers that has part of Katy as my route

30. Applause..looks great so far.