Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shed (Barn) find 63 pontiac...Australian

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53chevpickup, Jan 23, 2013.

1. 53chevpickup

53chevpickup
    from Australia

So I heard about this car about 18 month ago and was not in a very well funded state. But as time got on and the boss was trying to bribe me for another addition to our growing family, I stressed we needed a bigger car.
    One that was less of a modern tin can and more of something we could enjoy. So hear it is.
    From what I can gather it has sat for the best part of 20-25 years in a state of slumber...
    Fresh fuel and some volts and it started first try and went straight to an idle you only dream about...
    So now for a tidy up, a brake rebuild and some new rubber.
    Gotta have it done by may to pick up the new bub from Hospital.
    This ones a keeper I think.
    If any one has some pics of any of these I would really like to see them.

Attached Files:

2. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

Good score, hope all is good for the impending arrival.

3. jalopy45

jalopy45

Is this an American or Canadian built car? The engine and wheelbase will be the difference.

delray57 likes this.
  4. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This would be Canadian, assembled by GMH [General Motors Holden] Chev mechanicals. Great car owned a few of them over the years.

5. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

I am surprised that they kept the "Laurentian" badging on a car operated in Australia. A Canadian mountain range that would not mean a lot to most folks down under.

Nice car, looks really solid. Is it a 283 or a big 6?

Good luck with it.

6. jesse1980

jesse1980

Looks like a 1963 Catalina. I have 2 of them. It should be a 389?

7. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did not know GMH assembled Canadian Pontiacs, Cool! How many years did they do it? Have got to assume it is a fairly rare car. Great find!!

Being right hand drive it would be great to see some pictures of the dash and under the hood.

Here is the address for a 1963 Canadian Pontiac brochure, your Poncho's left hand drive brother:
    http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/Canada/1963 Pontiac Brochure/dirindex.html

8. sololobo

sololobo

Excellent score brother, should be a blast cruzin that beauty! Enjoy ~sololobo~

9. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They all had 283 & powerglide. The dash boards used in all Aussie assembled RHD '61 to '64 Chevs & pontiacs were American '61 Pontiac.

10. Wow. The '63 Laurentian was about the flashest GM offering in Oz, of it's time. Definately my favourite.
    That would knock a few cats out if it was to be accurately restored (with those H plates). The styling is so right, It'd look stunning in white. 2 barrel 283.
    Were the interiors Holden leather or U.S vinyl?

11. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

12. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

The Canadian Pontiacs are based on the CHEVROLET frame, and also used the chevrolet drive lines. We still have lots of them around.:)

13. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Parisianne was the top of the line, they had us vinyl & the Laurentian had leather.

15. Your car ( being canadian built) is quite the bastard child mix of Chevy and Pontiac. All of the wheelwells are "blended sheetmetal" to go from the chevy chassis to the pontiac outer sheetmetal. The core support is a "blended" item too. All the floor and cowl pieces are chevrolet. The cowl should be stamped "CHEV" on the lower part by the driver hinge. The wiring is "blended" too. The ignition switch should be a 9 pin instead of the regular pontiac 6 pin. I used an Impala and a US Pontiac wiring diagram to locate wires.

Our customer's '66 Parisienne has a factory installed 327/powerglide with a 10 bolt rear and chevy wheelbase and 5 x 4 3/4 bolt circle. The steering wheel and seats are 100% Impala with Parisienne nameplates. I learned alot when restoring this 66 Parisienne convertible. I have alot of parts connections if you need 'em. Cool car! Post progress pics.

[​IMG]
    Parisienne build pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cccstl/sets/72157623515309877/with/4536875717/

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  16. Thanks Dago 88. If that interior's there (and savable), it may need some leather food. Coachaline or whatever.

17. lawman

lawman

Very nice find. Would like to see more picture's.

18. Looks like the canadian buolt one that they sold down under. Quite a discussion on them about a year back. Lots of drama because some of the Pontiac experts could not uderstand that the canadian Poncho was built on a different platform.

Now onto bigger and better things. Nice car, should make a sweet run about.

19. WadeM

WadeM

I am currently restoring one of these cars, '63 Laurentian RHD exactly same model and colour as this one!

Does anyone know of any places that sell parts for these Canadian Pontiacs? I need the side mouldings that run the length of the car. They look the same as the American Catalina mouldings but I can't find any of those either

Also, the car has front and rear bench seats, does anyone know if these are common with any of the American Pontiacs or Chevys? As I will need new seats and I think they may be hard to find

Cheers!