Register now to get rid of these ads!

New to Caddys...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ShortyzKustomz, Jan 11, 2013.

1. ShortyzKustomz

ShortyzKustomz

Ive been reading daily and daily and cant find much for definate answers... I recently got a 64 Fleetwood 75 Limo. The current 429 needs a rebuild. (cracked piston and more) After looking at cost etc, and the added fact this is going to be a driver to shows up and down the east coast. The availability of parts is also a huge concern. That being said, and me knowing I will probably piss off some Caddy die hards, The Car is going to be Big Block Chevy powered. I have a motor I am getting for free, And plan on just refreshing it. Now here is where I cant find much for answers. It currently has a Hydra-Matic (Jetaway) trans in there. NO one makes adapters for the Jetaway to other motors. So I am planning on a TH-400 behind the Chevy. The question is, Since its a split year 64 Commercial Chassis, Am I still going to have to get a driveshaft made? How about hooking up shifter etc? Tranny Crossmember mods? I have 2 welders and the tools to do the job. I just like to get all my knowledge straight before I dive into something. If this is something covered on here before, call me a dipshit and send me in the right direction. Any help is apprciated.

2. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

You're a dipshit (I'm kidding)...!!! No, you won't piss me off (cuz it's your car), but I will offer some direction:

Consider this: sell the big block. Go find a 472" or a 500" Cadillac engine and a Caddy T-400-keep a Caddy all Caddy. The 472/500 will deliver more torque than a big block Chevy...and your mileage will be about the same with a 472/500" Caddy. Putting in a big block Chevy might require some massaging of motor/trans mounts, possibly steering/pan problems and shift linkage...and you'll need to cut a driveshaft no matter which engine/tranny you use.

If you want to see my '55 Cadillac build, go here:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329070&highlight=the+best+55+caddy+build

R-

3. ShortyzKustomz

ShortyzKustomz

I would love to do a 472/500 Combo. But the money just isnt there right now... Im currently working 2 jobs, wife been out of work since March and a baby due any day. Biggest reason I considered the bbc is well, It was free and only has 90k on it. I was hoping to sell the motor and trans from the caddy to fund a newer drivetrain. But I dont think the money is gonna be enough. I get more mad every day that I let a 425 with trans exhaust and all accessories sell out from under me on craigslist for $250. But I just didnt have the cash flow...

4. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Put the big block up for "trade" on CL then...someone has to have a 472"/500" laying around they're not using...

Sorry to hear about your troubles...but a "free" engine isn't going to help you much when you'll need to spend money on stuff to make the Chevy engine fit...

Not wanting to preach to you, but it sounds to me like you need to put the whole project on hold until the family and cash flow gets better. Besides, some thing else may pop up on CL and it'll all work in your favor IF you don't get in a big hurry to work on the car.

Good luck...

R-

5. ShortyzKustomz

ShortyzKustomz

Well said... I plan on putting this project on a very slow progress trust me. Really just trying to get the thing movable. Its 22 ft long and 6000lbs so Im not pushing it anywhere :D so aside from which motor I go with. Still looking at what is involved in swapping in a TH400. I will check out your build once I get off work tonight

6. FlatheadFanFromMI

FlatheadFanFromMI

7. ShortyzKustomz

ShortyzKustomz

Ok... I've found a GREAT deal on a 472 with trans and all accessories, So I need to sell my current drivetrain quick. Any suggestions on other places to post it for sale as well?

8. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Evil Bay ? Idk Do you have any pictures of the Cadillac?

9. jesse1980

jesse1980

Get another caddy drive train, you can get a a 472 to 500 drive train running out of a 500 to 1000 dollar beater caddy. There's a old eldorado that runs great by me with a 472 drivetrain for 700 obo.

10. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

Cadillac, within Cadillac.

As it was welded, as it shall be.

11. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

LOL...it's 4680 pounds from the factory and a little over 18 feet long...it'll push (with enuff muscle)...I'll bet your wife understands the difference between inches and feet so quit bragging...:rolleyes::eek:

Any luck selling the big block...???

R-

12. edisonfire

edisonfire

I do agree keeping it all caddy, i went through the same thought process with mine and im glad i kept it... even though its only a 331!

13. I would leave the Caddy intact until you gather all the parts needed. If this is going to be a long term project, there is nothing more discouraging than a dissembled vehicle sitting around going nowhere fast instead of a complete car you can look at and dream of what will be.

14. ShortyzKustomz

ShortyzKustomz

As stated above, Found a 472 Im trying to snatch for $500... Just need to sell the current 429 and Jetaway ;)

15. ShortyzKustomz

ShortyzKustomz

The deal with the Chevy BB flaked anyway... Luckily I found this 472 about 2 hours from me, Trying to snatch it quick. Finally got my garage set up now with 2 welders and all my tools. Ready to get this thing going

My title says and specs online says mine is 5300 GVW without center divider window (which mine has) and 20 ft give or take not including bumpers

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  16. ShortyzKustomz

ShortyzKustomz

Some pics from the previous owners

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  17. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

I'm pretty sure I've heard this quoted in church as a legitimate bible verse.

18. ShortyzKustomz

ShortyzKustomz

Motor and trans were out the car already, as well as all side trim and some interior. None of the big stuff will be touched until fundage and parts are there. Trying to get it moving, And I will work on rust repair when I have time for now

19. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Oooopps...I assume you're correct...I was thinking, when I wrote that weight and length, that you were doing a '54-'56 Caddy...not a '64 Limo...I stand corrected...

R-

20. ShortyzKustomz

ShortyzKustomz

By the way, Went though your build, and took a lot of notes. Very nice my friend