Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A tale of 3 chops and the revival of the 41 to 48 fords

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by magoozi, Apr 30, 2012.

1. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Man ,what a great set of pictures, I'll be getting back to mine soon, I've been busy finishing up some other cars at the shop.

509garyd likes this.
  2. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

another in the works................................photo from: Traditional Rod and kulture
    [​IMG]

509garyd likes this.
  3. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Man it shure helps to start with a nice one, I had to battle alot of rust on mine, the chop on a club coupe is alot simpler than on business coupe. Glad to see another one on the road.

4. flatout51

flatout51

I LOVE these cars!!! I was always more of a hot rodder till i got my 46 coupe.... Im a changed man!!! I have Chassis Engineering rear leaf kit and their 302 c4 kit... I think it sits about right!!!

Attached Files:

5. Here's another one for your files Gotzy & Magoozi: 1941 Mercury Sedan Coupe - customized for a fellow named Al Sinclair by his car club buddies. There are some images on Rikster's site in the Barry Mazza collection.

[​IMG]

-Dave

509garyd likes this.
  6. koolkemp

koolkemp

Mine as of a few weeks ago, before I started to blow it apart to finish up the chassis/underneath....

[​IMG]

509garyd likes this.
  7. koolkemp

koolkemp

Stupid photobucket wouldnt let me add another pic to my post..

[​IMG]

509garyd likes this.
  8. koolkemp

koolkemp

Or the last one either :mad:

[​IMG]

509garyd likes this.
  9. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

^nice! great job- looking good for sure

10. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Really nice topic,a lot of information within and some very nice examples concerning these body styles.

11. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

It's great to see I am not the only one that likes these cars, the best part is that customized, they are no two alike.

12. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Here's my '42'.Have all the 'blackout' trim,fenders etc.
    [​IMG]

13. Greasemachine

Greasemachine
    from San Diego

Here are some pics of Miguel's old 39 sedan. He wanted me to post those pics. He is restoring it for a friend and it's the reason for his 46 being in the backburner.

Attached Files:

509garyd likes this.
  14. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Ya, I sold my old 39 sedan to Rex from the Gearheads, he asked me to do a quickie paint job on it but we got a little caried away and did a full resto on it. The color is 1984 nissan quest azure blue with a tiki micro flake on top, should have it done this week.

15. Wardog

Wardog

Bump for a great thread. And something some of you may not have seen, An Aussie 46 coupe Ute custom.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

509garyd likes this.
  16. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Darn, you can put alot of moonshine in that rig

17. Cal-Paul

Cal-Paul

This is a cool thread. I have a soft spot for "fat fenderd fords"

18. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

^and yours is a beauty!

19. Cal-Paul

Cal-Paul

Thanks Musico. Yours is sweet also.

20. Greasemachine

Greasemachine
    from San Diego

Miguel's 46 is making progress again

Attached Files:

21. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Ya , we are finaly back on it, My favorite grill for these cars is the 47-48 olds grill. The lower front gravel pan is a fiberglass item that my friend Gene Winfield makes for 46 to 48 fords, fairly easy to install and saves a ton of work.

22. my thing is having enough room to check proportions during the build and at 36 feet,the distance I had to my pondering chair. I made changes then changed things again (probably why it is still a project.)

If I put the Old grill in and today I would take a little out of the hood and fenders to retain the proportions. I did use the Olds lower grill pan and made my front roll pan using the front section of roof off my parts car.

the back was a challenge because I didn't like the fat body and small roof moved forward. my solution was remove the running boards and raise the rear fenders. I widened them a couple inchs while I was at it because off the HEMI under the hood. it allowed me to line the rear pan for a roll pan

Attached Files:

23. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

24. while I have the old photos up. I'm not promoting the 3 window concept. I did mine because my dream of owning a 40 Willy's went up in smoke when they started building glass replicas.

Attached Files:

25. I don't think my build goes with nostalgia even using no new parts.whoops oh yeah got that stinkin 67 912 Porsche sun roof (which was O.K. in 1993 when I built this.

my favorite parts is the skinny ass and the wrap around 48 Buuick dash and window trims

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
    509garyd likes this.
  26. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

I am going to run the stock tail lights but we lowered them aboat five inches, you do have to trim a little off the top of the tail light housing otherwise it droops down.

27. 4rod

4rod

I would sure like to see a chop thread of a 46 business coupe...Can't seem to get many pic's of short doors

28. rcavaliers

rcavaliers
    from downey

I can imagine if Cal-Paul and Mr Musico hook up. what a pretty baby that would be!

29. sedantudor

sedantudor

I am a huge fan of the 1941-48 Fords. As stated numerous times here one of the big draws of this particular Ford is the price. I own a 47' Tudor Sedan that I bought at a great price and did a few minor upgrades. For under 4k I was on the road and cruising. The big attraction to the sedan body was how big the car is inside. I have three daughters ranging in years from 12 to 2 yrs. old. I have been giving some thought to giving the sedan a chop. But as someone stated chopping a tudor sedan can be quite a pain. The few I have seen done have not looked that good which is why I left the car as is for now..... Any suggestions?
    I loaded a picture of what the car looks like. Hope it worked.

Attached Files:

30. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Mine is a 46 busuness coupe, and ya the chop is differ'ent than on a long door club coupe.