Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need some legal advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willysgasser40, Jan 20, 2013.

1. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Well,it's damn near 2 hours since the business day started, have you contacted the dealer yet?
    Today is Martin Luther King Day so I doubt the DMV office is open.
    Hopefully the reason we haven't heard from you this AM is because you are at a lawyer's office.
    Lot's of well meaning advice here, but much of it is worth just what you've paid for it!
    I say one phone call to dealer and if he isn't willing to "make you whole", it's lawyer time.
    That's free advice too, but maybe the best move you can make.

2. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I think the Missing VIN might save you on this. Either way please keep us posted.

3. willysgasser40

willysgasser40
    from Illinois

I talked to the dealer & he is ready to make things right ! I talked calmly & was firm about the situation . The Connecticut AG , DMV & the DA office is closed today . I will keep you all updated on how this will play out .

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  4. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

That's a good start!

Hopefully he will take back the car (at his expense) & return your cash

5. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

More legal advice, get a new lawyer :D

6. If it were in Boston...I would do some legwork for you.....good luck, perhaps call CT attorney general

7. Good to hear you have some communication with the seller and he is talking,,Hope it all works out for you. HRP

8. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

I agree... time to let the pro's do what the pro's do.

9. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

lmao

10. BobG

BobG

What ever you do... being the VIN tag is missing you DO NOT want to contact the IL Secretary of State.
    They have been known to seize cars when the tag has been removed.
    They may help you somewhat but they could care less what the deal was or if you ever get your money back, they just won't allow that car to be out in the real world without a VIN tag.

I'd advise that you gather up all of your paperwork that you may have about the car including any advertisements about the car (make copies) and contact the States Atourney in his state.
    You may also want to file a complaint with the Police Dept in the city where he does business.
    One of the problems your facing is your in Illinois and he's in Conn. If you sue him in court you'll have to do it in his state because that's where the transaction took place.
    If he advertised the car on the net he may be bound to Federal laws including Internet Fraud.

11. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Thats why I think I'd call them and ask them about the legality of buying a car with the VIN removed from an out of state dealer. You dont have to tell them you are in possesion of the car but, sooner or later if he keeps the car they will have to get involved to get a legit title. As I understand it came with no title and has no VIN. I dont know how you would get a title without going thru them. If they say you cant get a title then he would know to not even try to consider keeping it and try to get the dealer to take it back rather than make some kind of allowance on the original purchase price.

12. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

I bought a Corvette that had foam blown in the frame rails and covered with bondo. Total law suit.

13. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

if this guy was in mass and knowingly sold a car with a missing vin # once it was known to the authorities he wouldnt be selling cars much longer , hope you get your money back without to much hassle ,

14. drumyn29

drumyn29

How did you pay for it? amex? paypal? cash?

I always use amex, anytime someone tries to pull some funny stuff I just hand it off to amex legal and they do all the work. I've won every case that I've ever given to them.

Never leave home without it.

15. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

I just hope that for your sake the dealer does not say that you removed the VIN.