Register now to get rid of these ads!

'51 Pontiac .. from OHIO

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Luke4554, Jul 27, 2012.

1. paintcan54

paintcan54

Just read your thread, nice work. Welcome to the HAMB. My son and his family live in Dayton, he has a flat black '54 Ford 4dr. flamed from front to back, shaved and decked and lowered.

2. Luke4554

Luke4554

Thanks.. Im really pumped on the color. Plans are to spray the car saturday morning.. Hopefully all goes well.

Also hopefully i can get the wheels painted too so i cant get the tires all mounted by next week that way if we have some warm sunny days in the next couple weeks i can pull her outside and snap some pictures in the sun. Thanks for all of the motivation.. That shit really helps! Especially after long boring nights of block sanding..

Til next time..

Luke :cool:

3. mob53

mob53

That color is awesome. It'll probably look black at night and blue under the sun.

4. Luke4554

Luke4554

Thanks man .. yeah i love it .. looks really sweet in the garage even. I keep looking at the trunk lid and thinking i didnt lay thpaint down right or uneven or something, because one spot will look really blue and then fade to really dark, then after walking up on it and moving side to side its just the lighting hitting whats left of the effects from the flattened pearl/flake from certain angles playing tricks on my eyes..

Cant wait to see it in the sun.. Im so ready to roll this think around town with my arm hanging out. I dont even care if i have windows in it yet im definately driving it.. 30 degrees or not lol :D !

Luke

5. atomickustom

atomickustom

I had no idea Brookeville Roadster had patch panels for our cars, let alone entire door bottoms. Thank you for that tip! I will be looking at them for my '51 Chevy. (They fit your Poncho fine because they are the exact same doors.)

I'm from the Akron area, so those early bondo rust repairs not only did not surprise me but looked way too familiar!

The car looks good so far, and I'm sure it will make a great cruise when you get it back on the road.

6. atomickustom

atomickustom

Okay, not to sound dumb but I just hit Brookeville Roadster's website and I don't see anything at all for '49-54 Chevy parts?? It's all early stuff.
    Where/how did you find those door bottoms?

7. mob53

mob53

EMS makes them

8. Luke4554

Luke4554

Found mine on an ebay auction from them.. i believe. Sorry cant exactly remember.. :confused: I do know when i was looking there were about 4 companies making the exact same patch panels all within about $10 of each other so they are definitely readily available.

Luke

9. Luke4554

Luke4554

Well... its done. Its painted. There are a few flaws here and there i can see.. but hey for my first spray job im pretty satisfied. Only thing that was sort of a downer was that my final coat i was running thin on material so i couldnt lay it as wet as i wanted so we will have to wait and see how it flattens out over the next day or so. Hopefully its not real grainy or anything but .. whatever .. its not getting sprayed again any time soon. Its time to move on to different tasks to get the car safe for march.

Anyways on to the pics..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

.. and here's a couple shots about an hour after the last coat was laid down, you can see it starting to flatten out fairly well..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now monday ill have to make a decision to see if the paint on the trunk matches the car alright. If not ill sand the trunk down just a bit and fog a top coat on it to try and blend it a bit. Time will tell..

.. did i mention i have no patience .. ughhh :eek:

Luke

10. pontiac

pontiac

Looks great! Can't wait to see it with all the trim back on it!

11. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Looks good to me from the pictures,hopefully it turns out the way you wanted.

12. Luke4554

Luke4554

.. remember that patience thing? Dont have it ..

Couldn't help it .. pulled all the masking off. Also took the dash plastic off since i haven't seen it in what seems like a year. Took a moment to step back and look at it .. god now i really cant wait. So pumped to get the wheels on it .. those white walls are going to really pop!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think I've gone out into the garage about 6 times since i sprayed it to just sit and look at it.. :eek:

Luke

13. n847

n847

Don't blame you...Its gonna look great!

14. 1badbaker

1badbaker

Looks very good. I might of missed this but, what kind/brand of paint are you using. Did you mix your own flatner in it? If so how did you know how much?

15. Luke4554

Luke4554

PPG Shopline with a 1:1 flattening ratio.. Gives an "egg shell" finish.. They have other ratios for different finishes from PPG too. Just had the paint shop mix the flattener for me.

Luke

16. shifflett

shifflett

17. castleman1111

castleman1111

O crap!!!!!! We forgot to chop the top!!!! Lol!!!

18. rusty63c10

rusty63c10

nice ride from just up 75 findlay ohio

19. Luke4554

Luke4554

I know right! Lol hopefully that will come in the next year or so along w bags possibly. In any case since this thing has to be road worthy in two months I'm dealing w it for now and I'm going to enjoy my long hours driving it a bit before it goes under the knife again. Got some work in tonight.. just laying down for bed.. I'll post some update pics tomorrow while I'm supposed to be working at my desk :D

-Luke

letncat likes this.
  20. Luke4554

Luke4554

Started working on the trim on the car this week. Had my helper out there with me one of the nights (my fiance). Shes not much help but the company was nice .. :p

[​IMG]

.. (nice boots ;))

Re-assembly as usual is considerably slower than dissassembly.. but its ok. The only thing thats really pissing me off are those damn clips for the trim pieces. Im about to buy all new ones cause working with the old rusty ones is a bitch..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also worked on re-attaching the dash board and gauges and all of the wiring.. yay..:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Guess I should have turned the tv on while i was down there .. :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also put my plate on the back ..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

.. whoops almost forgot ..

[​IMG]

.. much better! :D

Nothing real exciting .. but i did get a decent amount done. Working on the front and rear bumpers hopefully tonight. Still need to get my wheels mounted on the tires .. that will be an exciting day!

.. til next time!

Luke

21. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

My favorite color is chrome!

22. Luke4554

Luke4554

Put the rear bumper on the car.. after the wedding it will get some adjusting so it fits closer to the rear of the body but for now its on and looks pretty good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also worked on the grille. Unfortunately the front grille was painted by the previous owner .. poorly :rolleyes: .. and had some damage to it. So i hamered out some of the dents and patched the holes and primed and painted it. Used Rustoleum Bright Metallic "Aluminum" rattle can. Far from chrome but on my budget and timeline it should look fairly good next to the rest of the trim.. and overall im happy how it turned out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

.. then re-assembled and in primer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

.. and finally after paint (2 coats) .. not bad!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lastly i decided to refurb my front emblem.. dunno how its going to turn out but worst case scenario i buy a new one so whatever its worth a shot!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We'll have to see how it dries. In any case thats all i have for now.. until next time! :)

-Luke

23. rusty63c10

rusty63c10

24. n847

n847

You're killin it! Can't wait to see it on all fours!

25. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

I can't wait to see it on the whitewalls...

26. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

27. Luke4554

Luke4554

Got a little bit done on the interior this weekend. Eric and I finished the interior panels. Wrapped them with batting and fabric i grabbed from JoAnn Fabrics .. turned out fairly nice. Fabric is wrapped around that particle board stuff they make peg board out of? Worked out fairly well.. 3m spray adhesive and a little elbow grease.. should hold up long enough for me to save some pennies and have someone actually make a nice one up for me. Also redid the arm rests that i had redone a little earlier last year. The fabric plays off the white really nicely.. looks good!

[​IMG]

Armrests before / after ..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Laid everything out on the floor to see what it looks like ..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Installed with my lovely seat covers .. lol :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still need to make a rear deck peice to slide in the rear window..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall im happy with how they turned out .. Between the spray paint, fabric, batting, and the board i think ive probably got less than $40.00 in the whole interior. Pretty happy with that ..:)

In other news i got all the rest of the brake lines finished up .. and the radiator hoses on and filled the car with coolant .. only to find the radiator leaks. Luckily buying a rad from a guy on the HAMB so i should hopefully have that in this week or next..

[​IMG]

Till next time .. :D

Luke

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  28. jmh

jmh

Luke.. Looking really good so far!! Give your self a pat on the back!! NICE!! Keep it up!!

As far as the GF not helping.. Thats OK as long as she aint complaining and stays by your side while you cruz!! John

29. Luke4554

Luke4554

True that, shes very support of my addiction.. so i lucked out. I already told her i cant wait till the hoopty is back together so she can sit in the middle seat next to me on the bench.. :cool:

30. n847

n847

If you dont find a radiator theres a dude up my way in West-Milton who will seal your old one up pretty reasonable. He's not the fastest guy in the world but he's got to be like 90 years old so what do you expect!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app