Register now to get rid of these ads!

What was the purpose of this

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by spobanz, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Grumbler

Grumbler

So many dead brain cells ago but the HAMB brings it all back.....[​IMG]
    mid 70's, 69 Javelin SST with Hi Jackers, M/T's sticking out past the rear fenders, Thrush mufflers, fat foam weeny steering wheel, Pink Floyd or the Allman Brothers or maybe Bob Seger in the 8 track and Craig speakers drowning out us stoned idiots laughing our heads off while the red carpet gets peppered with roach burns.
    Kids today have NO idea what they missed.........

2. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Haha, love all the trips down memory lane. I could tell a few stories about those long shackles. When I was in high school, circa 68-71, we would jack up our car and cram some 2x4s in between the frame and axle for some after school profiling around town. Beatles cranking through that $39 Kraco 8 track.

3. Deuces

Deuces

That's giving me an idea for a model build...;) I think I could make that happen with some drilled out styrene strips.... I'll let you guys pick out the car... I probably have it in stock.... How about a big block Nova???... :D

4. that "look" was hokey back then....it's still hokey today !!!

5. Deuces

Deuces

.......And don't forget about the 'glass L-88 style hood for the car... It's gotta have one of those..;)

6. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

7. The guy probably parked it right after the first time he had to make a panic stop on wet pavement.

8. butch70462

butch70462

all i can say about it you had to be there

had a 64 falcon sprint, 66 ss396, 67 ss396 and a 69 ss camaro all looked the same lol

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  9. ecna

ecna

Now that's funny. A friend has a real '70 Buick GSX that back in '75 the rear end was painted white!

10. jamesgs4

jamesgs4
    from denver

ahh the 70's, what a crazy time. I was really a young buck! scanned an old pic from waay back then. :D

[​IMG]

11. Waaay back? That Explorer in the background looks late 90s. . :rolleyes:

12. I worked in a shop in the early '70s... cars came in all the time with ripped out shock mounts. Most had Hijackers with those extension studs on them, either the stud gave out or the mounts had to go. We referred them to a local fab shop that did some nice welding and would throw us a case of beer now and then, lol.

I liked those "win" lights that were mounted under the rear.. win some hokey street race and the winner flashed them at the end of the run. Dayglo red rear ends, brake drums were the rage.

Did anyone make chains from beer can tabs? I saved them up and had chains running all over the interior. Radio knobs to the visors, across the visor, back to the clothes hooks, across to the other hook, to the other visor..etc.

Bob

13. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

busted!!

14. cshades

cshades
    from wi

Just had a guys late 70's cordoba on the lift that had those stupid shackles on it.He just bought it and didnt know any better.He did happen to buy new tires the same size that was on it already though and that was the reason for the shackles.They were bent and i told the guy if i was him i would'nt be driving it.

15. IMO this trend is the same idea as gassers, some love them, some hate them. Some are cobbled up, some well done. It can't be helped if you hate the look.

16. Big Bad Dad

Big Bad Dad

I had a beer can tab chain that started at the rear view mirror and ended up coiled up in the back seat. This was a 70 Road Runner I had in high school!

17. Big Bad Dad

Big Bad Dad

Best one I ever saw was in about "79 or '80. My buddy bought a project "fixer upper" , and asked me to trailer it home for him. The car was a pretty nice collectible 66 Mercury Comet. It was a factory big block car that had the fiberglass hood. It was a roller with no engine and trans, and it still set up pretty high in the back. After we got it pulled up on the trailer, I got under the back to wrap the tie downs over the rear axle. That car had two sticks of oak firewood cut to length and wedged between the frame and axle housing to give it "rake"! LOL We gave him a hard time about his hillbilly special the whole time he kept that car....:D

18. robber

robber

Some hate the look, some love it... I'm still doing it today with my '47 Willys. Dropped in front plus jacked in back equals crazy flippin stance. I think its cool and it doesn't hurt my feelings if someone else doesn't... I do my cars for me, not to suit others tastes. I like the exaggerated stance and the aggressive attitude:cool:

Attached Files:

19. Goatdave

Goatdave

I spent a whole weekend painting my 71 cutlass gas tank and rear end white - had the air shovks as high as they would go (refilled every other day or it would list to port). Then installed thrush mufflers running off the headers (white of course) that ended right at the pumpkin - yep had a sooty black tank in about a week. I had all the other go fast goodies - below dash eq, moroso valve covers, bright red brake drums, double pumper with dual feed gas line, beer can cover on coil, tach on column, Gennie cream ale bear caps on radio knobs, and huge 50 series on Cragers. I got beat in about every race I was ever in but I was cool.

20. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

My truck had a 4 inch lift in the rear! Along with some hacked up headers with glasspacks on the end of em! Once I found the avaitors, coke can, baseball bat and buck knife I knew he must have been a badass...

Attached Files:

21. jamesgs4

jamesgs4
    from denver

*thats the joke, I was born in the 70's.

22. wood470

wood470

Suspension modifications are always popular. Our favorats were " riser bars" which were broom sticks shoved between the upper a arms and the frame. They'de usually last all nite if you were lucky if not it only took a minute to replace em. No suspension but maximize high

23. DUDE!!! You're gonna get me in trouble here at work!!! :) I'm laughing my a$$ off right now at your story, and my co-workers are looking at me like I'm crazy... because it sounds like the stupid crap that my older brother and I used to get away with!!! It IS a wonder that neither one us were maimed or arrested! The best was garter around the mirror acting like i was getting some pussy (not a chance)... Me too, unfortunately! I caught the garter at some wedding or other and onto the mirror it went... Do you remember the Roth T-shirt ads on the back pages of Hot Rod? I'll humbly admit that when I was about 14, I asked my mom what "Happiness is a tight pussy" meant (with the drawing of the mellow cat inside of a glass jar, remember?). She played it off well and just said something like "I don't know, just something stupid on a t-shirt" and walked away.

It wasn't necessarily because we were stupid (debatable, I know!) but because we didn't have any money to fix stuff RIGHT or to buy quality tools and parts! I was working in the mall for a little over minimum wage, but I had my 70 Satellite jacked up with air shocks, the rear axle was painted yellow (Not white. White was over-done in my town) and a handful of speed equipment stickers on the rear quarter windows (that we had puchased at the World of Wheels car show, because we couldn't afford the actual speed parts). I used to blast Foghat's "Slow Ride" and "Fool for the City" and oh my God... when Frampton Comes Alive came out.... I'll admit that I was also a bit unconventional because I hated how some of the songs on Boston's first album had to fade out so that the 8 track could switch tracks in my brother's Road Runner, so I installed a CASSETTE player in the Satellite! Two Jensen 6x9's in the crushed-velvet covered package tray handled the low end while a pair of 6" door speakers rocked the high end...

I had to buy one of the Dennis Hopper looking leather hats at one of the World of Wheels car shows too. I wore it like three times before I decided that Dennis looked WAY cooler in his hat...

We actually got lucky and my brother found a tire store where they actually disposed of some of their used tires by throwing them down over the hill behind their shop! We'd swing by there on a Sunday afternoon (thanks blue laws!) and dig for an hour or two and find some matching 60 series tires for the backs of our cars. (My dad had one of those manual old tire changing machines on a little concrete slab behind the garage, so mounting was free too! Balancing? That's for sissies!!! We actually had the balls to put the now-bald tires back into their piles!) Our friends were always egging us on to do burnouts at traffic lights because they knew that we always would! Some of them would say "You burn tires off like your Dad owns a tire store!" Close! Very close!!! :)

I graduated high school the year that Dukes of Hazzard came on the air, so naturally we had to learn how to J-turn a car, do 180* turns on a deserted 2 lane road just like the Duke boys did! Actually, now that I think about it, I can honestly say that I'm a better driver because I KNOW what a car feels like when it's sliding sideways and how to get it back under control.

THANKS for the good read! I'm LOVING re-living this stuff!!! Yeah, it's OT, but you gotta laugh at how simple minded we ALL were when we were 19. I certainly was!!!!

24. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

Doing that with my pickup!... But uhhh. Its for mud drags.. Hahaha

25. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

May have to add this to the collection.....
    [​IMG]

26. Heo2

Heo2

ha ha i remember that movie....i think a guy cut
    the roof of a amx beacuse a girl told she prefered
    convertibles and then ...naaaa i dont like the color
    either.... hahaha