Register now to get rid of these ads!

Boothill express... where is it now.?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pro 300e, Jan 4, 2013.

1. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

that would be cool with a HEMI!HA!

2. wizzard23

wizzard23

The first real "show cars" I ever saw were displayed in a big tent at the Kansas State Fair in the mid 60's. The Boothill Express was in that display. I was around 12 years old at the time and in awe of these cars. Thanks for bringin' this up.

3. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

You all drank the same goddam kool aid I did!

4. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

I have seen that website and that is incorrect about there being three; Ray built the original from the "stocker" shown in this Polaroid. Two years later, he made one clone from fiberglass, which was meant to make easy runs down the strip. The photo of it on the strip was taken the only time it ran, at Beeline in Phoenix.

They both exist. The difference between them is that original had a 331 hemi, the copy has a 426. The both exist. The original is the only one with the Avon motorcycle slicks mounted on 18" spindle-mount Americans in the front; the copy has 15" Americans on the front.

[​IMG]

5. F&J

F&J

Are you kidding? he rodded a real one? What kind of a whacko could even think that up? I have new respect for this guy.:D:cool:

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  6. hotrodhoodlum

hotrodhoodlum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

yes there was the origional Boot Hill Express which toured the indoor circuit
    and Ray did at least one fiberglass over wood version for the outdoor drag strip
    circuit when the wheel standers were the thing
    the outdoor circuit version is at the Peterson Museum along with Stage Fright and other similar show cars
    I was blessed for a lot of years to own the Boot Hill and a few others show cars
    and met a lot of great builders / promoters / and in general car lovers
    which gave me memories forever
    Happy and healthy New Year
    Hot Rod Hoodlum

kiwijeff likes this.
  7. Spork!

Spork!

I took these pictures of it on Wednesday.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  8. Von Richthofen

Von Richthofen

Taken in the basement of the Peterson ..so im told

Attached Files:

kiwijeff and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

so the original has the cragars with the gaint slicks on the back??? wow the one i saw when i was a kid did'nt have the meatballs on the back. i guess i like the fiberglass one then.

10. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

I would post the pics I took of it at the Petersen a few months back, but they look the same as the ones posted above. Pretty neat car, and smaller than I thought it would be.

They had "Boothill" and "Stagefright" sitting in a corner right next to each other, and some barber shop car and the Mach 5, parked with the Ala Kart.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

One of My Favorites.. Boothill Express, Lil Coffin, and the Car Craft Dream Rod..

My Top three Favorite Show Cars..

12. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Both of the above are correct. One is in the vault at the Pete, next to Stage Fright. We were told that the one belonging to the Pete was the exhibition car.

13. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Nooooooo. Realllyy. No soup for you! That's my favorite 60's show car of all time. I still kick myself for not stepping up when it was for sale.

14. I remember when Ray would have his cars set up at the state fair grounds in Sedalia Missouri. My brother in law, Dick Shultz and my friend Monty McPherson helped Ray for several years with this show and others. Monty had a little car that he built and showed on Ray's circuit called the Orange Blossum Special I believe. It like most of the show cars of that era were static display cars. Ray built some fantastic cars that were different to say the least. Always a hit with me.
    Later,
    Dick

15. 24riverview

24riverview

Volo Auto Museum 12-04, the original?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I was hoping you'd get it too! Then my wife could borrow it for my "last ride".

By the way, thanks to Tom Davison for all he adds to the show car posts. You're a real historian of the show rod era. I had no idea that the boothill express was a repurposed horse drawn hearse!

17. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

My job was working at shows so I lived and saw the era firsthand. I spent half my time between shows hanging around Ray's shop during the time it was built. Ray gave me the polaroid of the "stocker", which I still have. He took the shot when he went to Minneapolis to buy the original hearse.

I think the guy pictured with Ray in that one photo may be Hal Hammer. Hal helped Ray with the mechanicals on the strip version and was the guy that drove it at Beeline; Hal is the source of that untrue online claim that there were three Boothills. In Hal's online account, he makes it sound like he built the cars and Ray helped him; no truth at all, Hal was a minor player in the creation of the second car.

kiwijeff likes this.
  18. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Ok, Did George Barris buy the Xpress from Ray, or is he just taking credit for another car he didn't build?
    There are a number of cars that people own and claim to have been Barris built, and we know their full of it!
    But George seems to have his name by choice on vehicles that as far as I know he had nothing to do with the build.
    George and Sam built more than a few fine cars in their time, but GeeWhiz........
    Just an observation. KK

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  19. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

I wished it was around here I've never got to see it in person

20. Deuces

Deuces

You mean like the Monkee and Batmobile??? And maybe a few others...????...

21. Pro 300e

Pro 300e

Thanks for this insight to the build of the Boothill Express Tom.. Since I started this thread the other day ..( simply wondering where it is now located ).. myself and others have probably learnt a lot more about it.
    It must have been an amazing era to have been around in and era that will never be repeated unfortunatly.
    Do you happen to have any more photos of its build up..? it would be great to see them.:)

A friend of mine , whilst out in the states last year bought me back a copy of the the "Rod & Custom" mag from march 1967 he found at a swap meet.. here is a few scans from it which most people have probably seen... but I still enjoy reading the article :D

img042.jpg

img044.jpg

kiwijeff likes this.
  22. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

I like the before and after here... its just to cool..

23. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Ray sold the first one to Jay Ohrberg and I think he sold it to Barris. I don't know who Ray sold the second one to.

24. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

a side note to the Boothill Express,the current state of the Wake Wagon,at the Volo Museum

Attached Files:

25. Mickey One

Mickey One

I saw the Express at a show in Orange County,NY maybe ten or fifteen years ago.It was cool to see a show car I remembered from the models of the 60's.

26. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I`m guessing this is Steve, THANK YOU for tracking down and buying the cars in your amazing collection.

27. sylvian

sylvian
    Member Emeritus
    from Burbank

The one in the Petersen vault is the copy. The original was right here in my front room for a couple of years and is now at Speedway Motors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kiwijeff and kidcampbell71 like this.
  28. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

And here it is.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  29. Von Richthofen

Von Richthofen

Now that is bad as it gets !!