Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vandalizing a '63 Falcon's engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BurntOutOldMechanic, Jan 20, 2013.

1. First the back story:

At some point, some junk yard genius cobbled together a SBF n’ dumped it inta’ my rusty ol’ tub…..
    It’s a E0AE small block with an assembly date of 0H2 (8/2/80).
    It fires 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. It’s got a flat tappet cam, D8OE-AB heads (yuk) and somebody had put a RF-E4ZE-9425-GA aluminum four barrel intake (off’a 84-85 Fox body) an’ a 4160 Holley on it.
    It has C8AE-6059-A timing’ cover, with a 1968 casting date, a 28oz C9TE-6316-A2 balancer (1980 casting date), a E1AE-8505-AA standard rotation water pump, an’ all the serpentine pulley’s have E0VE or E0ME prefixes for the part numbers that’re stamped in ‘em.
    It had a CII power steering pump an’ mounting bracket for the 3G alternator but I shit-canned the vague n’ twitchy power steerin’ system and upgraded the shakey 1963 mix-n-match front end linkages to the 65 n’ later V-8 manual steering set up last June…..
    Anywho, I’m thinkin’ it’sa early flat tappet 5.0 from an 80 Lincoln Town Car, but I could be wrong……I often am; just ask the Missus.

[​IMG]

I know all this minutia because:
    1)The drain plug in the oil pan was stripped n' leaky: I dropped the pan ta' replace it with a die-cast Cal-Custom pan and while I was there, I installed a Melling Increased Volume oil pump and a heavy duty oil pump drive shaft.
    2) I had the intake off shortly after I got the car because some doofus had actually used the cork gaskets at the front and rear of the intake and they were puked. Off with the intake to for a set of Fel-Pro intake gaskets and a bead of Right Stuff sealer in the front and rear.
    3) In the process of deletein’ the CII P/S pump and related bracketry, I decided it would be a good idea to swap out my thirty year old water pump. Dude, some idiot thought it would be okay to use a 6 inch long piece of 5/16 NC all-thread for a water pump/timing cover bolt. This led to a lot of very bad language, GM EGR lube, a propane torch, a Hazet cam lock stud puller the eventual removal of some very rusty all-thread.
    But I’m digressin’ as usual…

[​IMG]

Anywho, this is how it looked after fussin' with it and drivin' it a little bit at'ta time for 'bout 6 months, MSD, Egay Chinese Champion radiator, squirrely valve coves, Breeze Automotive alternator bracket, yada-yada-yada.

But, I'm never satisfied n' I can't sit still for too long....

2. [​IMG]

Despiste having unknown mileage and a shit-load of oil leaks when I got it, the engine was generally healthy with 150lbs of compression in all eight holes and 22hg of vacuum @idle in park and 17hg in gear.....

So's I gat a Comp Cams 35-216-3 260H grind cam n' lifter kit...
    Dude no, I ain't pullin' the heads.
    Not with my crickety ol' back.
    I'd just as soon be circumcised wit' a pair'a rusty pinking shears as pull them heavy lumps'a cast iron....
    I'll be doin' the spring n' seals with the heads installed.
    The cam I got has has a real mild .447 lift and 260 duration- I'll be usin' SBI factory replacement springs.

[​IMG]

So I got all bored on a cold day 'fore Christmas n' tore it down. At this point, I decided ta' do the valve springs n' seals first, one cylinder at a time whilst' goin' thru the firin' order.

Dude, I'm mostly deaf from many years'a workin' in big ol' stinky shops, drag pipes n' shootin' rifles with muzzle brakes, but I can hear an air leak on a school bus that's idling in the next bay......

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  3. So rather than hold the valves up with shop air, I went the "string thru the plug hole" method. I'd rather be able ta' hear Thelonious Monk playin' in the background than' listenin' to air hiss out the intake ports and past the rings.
    Note the plastic plug in the oil return- don't want any keepers makin' their way over there.
    Ask me how I know.....

[​IMG]

Note the shitty ol' teflon seals. Dude, those gotta' go- the good news is the guides have been machined for somthing other than the stock umberella type style seals...
    The bad news: The heads have been off this thing at some point in it's life. I suspected as much, seein' how they're E8OE heads....
    All that crap around the screw in studs is black RTV: the studs are in the water jackets on these heads.

[​IMG]

4. The stud mounted spring compressor didn't work on every cylinder cuz'a clearance issues- had to find n' dust off this ancient OTC screw compressor that was cowering in the bottom my tool box.

[​IMG]

One cylinder at'a time....

[​IMG]

5. Pretty blue Viton seals!

[​IMG]

New springs n' seals:

[​IMG]

6. The nasty 1968 timing cover that was on my 1980 engine...

[​IMG]

Springs n' seals done. Old cam and iffy lifters out...cam bearings so-so.....

[​IMG]

7. [​IMG]

Two kind'sa assembly lube-very messy. Note the 8" long 3/8 bolt threaded in'ta the cam in llieu of a handle ta' aid cam installation.

[​IMG]

Cam's in. New Engine Pro double roller timing set.

8. While I was swappin' out the cam n' intake I did the secondary metering plate conversion on my ancient 4160 Holley and a Wieand Street Fighter intake ta' set it on....

[​IMG]

9. After spendin' an hour or so with a itty-bitty steel brush and some MEK 'n a shop vacuum, and a ton of 'luminum foil 'n butcher paper, I shot some Ford Blue paint in my 48F garage.....

Then I dried it with a heat gun....

[​IMG]

10. [​IMG]

So I got all bored one mornin' after Christmas 'n it was a balmy 45F in the garage n' my back was feelin' pretty okay from all the goofin' off so I decided there was no time like the present ta' install my spiffy new Jeg's cover because I wasn't gonna' to use the other cover, mosly 'cuza the 1968 casting date n' the way the timing pointer was all rigged up ta' work..
    That'sa replacement damper from Damperdoctor.com....the studs in the water pump boss are for aligning the water pump/gasket later.....

11. Water pump/fuel pump/timing tape/Breeze Automotive alternator bracket n' a fresh oil filter (and sump) filled with Brad Penn SAE 30 engine break-in oil.....

[​IMG]

12. There's nothin' quite like gettin' all dressed up like you're goin' huntin' or sumptin' to work in a 38F garage....

Intake installed...

[​IMG]

13. 64falconsix

64falconsix
    from Daphne Al.

Lookin good...... I run the comp 260 in my 200 inline. you should have plenty of bottom end and mid range torque with that grind. in the 200 off idle torque is a little soft but it really comes alive between 2,500 and 4,800 rpm.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  14. Too cold ta' do anthing this day 'cept to make my pump to carb fuel line for my shiny new Holley fuel pump....

[​IMG]

It was supposed to be warmer the following week so I decided ta' take a break for awhile. Finished the fuel line: some heat wrap, some Oetiker clamps, an adel clamp, yada-yada...

[​IMG]

15. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the typical flat-tappet cam break in proceedure, it rained for 5 days.

The forcasted 60 degree weekend for Norhtern Virginia turned out to be two days of 50 degree misty fog and generally shitty weather.

All I could do was go sideways every time I stepped on it.....

The cam has about a 100 miles on it now n' I'm happy with the results...
    I wasn't out ta' build anything crazy fast, 'specially on my unknown engine.

This morning I did a speed run on I95 down to Quantico and back; about 50 miles round trip.

I'm happy to report the car just lopes along at 2800-3000RPM (85-90MPH) in high with 18-20HG a' vacuum and the AFR around 12 to one. On short WOT blasts up past 95MPH, vacuum drops past zero and the AFR goes ta' 11 to 1.

Dude, my rusty ol' tub is a handful at anything over 90.....

I know I can do better but it's kinda' tough ta' tune in 35F weather.

I'd like ta' add 'bout two degrees of timing (now 16*BTDC initial/34*total) and step down my primary n' secondary main jets a step or two but it'd be all for naught when it's nice n' balmy this spring, when I'd have'ta do it all over again.

But I'm retired; what else do I have'ta do?

Later....

16. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

You spent a lot of time writing this thread and posting pictures, thanks, it was fun to go along for the ride........and we didn't even have to get our hands dirty. :D

Looks like the previous owner scored a set of worked heads or had his done with those seals and screw in studs. What cam did you find when you pulled it apart? Did you degree the cam or install it straight up ?

Motor looks really good now with all that pretty stuff on it.

Don

17. Thanks, Don.

Since it fired 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 when I got the thing, near as my SBF machinist guru dude and I can tell, it was a real early Ford factory 5.0 flat tappet cam due to the 351/5.0 firing order.

I figgured degreein' it would be kind'a like puttin' lipstick on'na pig with my unknown motor and anyhow, the cam has 4 degrees of advance built in'ta it.

18. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Dude...that was fun! :D
    Although I've switched to Chevys now...I've always said, and always will...that nothing sounds nicer than a built 289-302...except maybe a Flatty!

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for sharing the story and photos. It looks like you will be upgrading the suspension next to be able to enjoy the added power a bit more.

20. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I've always done them straight up too, mainly because I am trying to learn how to degree the right way. No matter how many videos or how many writeups I have read on degreeing, I still am not getting a grasp on all that is involved. But I want to learn. We paid the local engine builder to do the one in my Son's rpu and even though I watched him it still is foggy.

Don

21. F91

F91

Excellent thread, thanks for sharing!

22. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I also enjoyed reading and following along... Thanks!
    You certainly do nice, clean work, too!

Malcolm

23. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Yup...he certainly does!

24. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Nice little tool under the bench in the first pic in post #2. Seems like a strange place to keep it, though.

25. Laffin' here.

That'sa Air Soft rifle for shootin' squirrels off'a the bird feeders.

The Missus gets bitter if they bleed when I shoot 'em.

Marraige is always a comprimise....

26. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Enjoyed the post.... lets see a photo of the car !

27. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  28. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Cool little sleeper. :D

Don

29. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

My thoughts exactly! What a neat little Falcon - would love to have one just like it.