Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Jordan's 29 Ford Roadster build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cali4niaCruiser, May 19, 2012.

1. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

Thanks for the love guys!
    I took all next week off so I can get some work done on the car. How much time I actully get to spend on it vs. "honey-do's" is still TBD.
    Wish me luck!

2. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

I still like your front end treatment in that it's completely hidden. Did you ever consider quarter-eliptical springs to hold the front end? I'm trying to decide between the two - but may go with the quarter-eliptical set-up as you said you had trouble getting everything working together with the suicide.

3. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

i too was attracted to the the hidden spring / floating axle look. A few issues to keep in mind;

1. Wheelbase. It's tough to push the axle out front and keep the wheelbase short enough so it doesn't look goofy. The shorter you go, the less room for drivetrain you have. The longer you go, the more silly it looks. Mine ended up about 108"

2. Steering. When the axle and spring are riding in the same plane, rather than spring over axle; your steering all wants to land right where your frame is. My problem was magnified by wanting a non dropped axle and refusing to have any steering links in front of the radiator.

3. Camber/Caster. The angle your front axle rests at vertically has everything to do with your camber/caster. It's much easier to set your front crossmember at the desired angle and know that the axle will be the same ( when using a traditional spring over axle). With a suicide setup; the axle, spring and ball joints must all be setup to keep the axle riding at that constant angle. It's not as easy as it looks to make it work and not bind up.

I hope this helps with your decision!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

4. daddio211

daddio211

Your second item is exactly what I'm concerned about on my T Roadster. We WILL make it happen but it will take some doing!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

5. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

Some progress from this weeks "vacation". I Borrowed the fiance's camera for those of you that are tired of my scratched up iPhone photos.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

7. speters

speters

Floors look great man! Keep up the good work

8. edisonfire

edisonfire

Looks great sitting on the ground!

9. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

Thanks guys! I'm plugging away every chance I get :)

10. tobyflh

tobyflh
    from Peru il

very cool build. what size tires are you running?

11. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Hell yeah -- very nice work, Jordan!

12. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

L-78 - 15's out back and 5.60-15's up front.

13. 39 Ford

39 Ford

You do great work, wish I could do 20% as well, my only negative is that I could never fit in the car too old/fat and tired.

14. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

I always hated being the skinny kid, I guess this will be the payoff! Plenty of place to sit but the foot boards are going to be tight!

15. JasonCarGuy

JasonCarGuy

I was just wandering how much room you had for seats and feet. I'm still gathering parts for my '29 traditional build, got most things, just hunting a few items. What type of buckets are you going to squeeze in there, do you have anything yet? Going to make something? how tight is the fit with the tunnel. Keep up the great work, looks awesome.

16. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

The fit is pretty tight for seats and feet as well. I'm not sure what will fit. Maybe some VW half backs. I've got it in my head that I will build some buckets for it. The fun of a heavy channel job! There's barely going to be enough room for three pedals!

17. sophisto79

sophisto79

I'd be interested to see what you come up with on your own. That'd be my vote.

18. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

Make sure you thank your fiancee for the use of her camera - the photography finally does the project justice! Floor pans look wicked!

19. 30TudorSedan

30TudorSedan

Wow! Excellent build, great details and amazing craftsmanship! Look forward to seeing more.

20. 510madmav

510madmav

That thing is so cool, I'd get so excited every time i walk out to the garage and saw that thing sittin there.

21. T-DeWitt

T-DeWitt

I will say it again Kickass you metal man!!The floor is look sick.

22. lownrusty

lownrusty

Nice work ive got some parts for you to make!!

23. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

The last month I lowered the daily driver, built a dog kennel and worked on stuff for my upcoming wedding. I finally squeezed in a little time on the roadster this weekend. The trans cover is beginning to take shape...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. 52pig

52pig

That's pretty.

25. amazing work! makes me want to get a bead roller(and learn how to use it)...... haha

26. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

Like the metal work you are doing, keep the great work...

27. Jordan
    Just looked at your steering arms on your A. How much ground clearance do you have under the tie rod? I'm using Chevy spindles with hairpins, but there is no step on the front of my frame so I'd have to be pretty low for a Vega box. Kinda wanna know how low is too low.
    Been waiting for another up date, nice rod!

28. Jordan, on the "cool scale", your build has exceeded the scale!:cool:

29. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

The past six months have been an absolute blur. I got married, went on a honeymoon, traveled some more, painted, landscaped, you name it. Its finally time to re-focus and start banging this car out.

I've been working on making the firewall lately. The engine set back calls for a tricky little dish to be formed, allowing distributor clearance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. HarryT

HarryT
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great work Jordan! Thanks for sharing the slick idea for forming the tunnel.
    Jim