Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Gasser Reunion 2013, Changes more Hamb Friendly!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Don Moyer, Dec 20, 2012.

1. slammed

slammed

Mopar guy^^^ understand the thread, he is making it fun. Its the $Pro type$ cars that are taking it too serious. And a general rule here on this site is FNG do an introduction.

2. blownhemi48

blownhemi48
    from Bergen NY

The '33 Willys that won the Nostalgia AA/Gassers racing series last year was built and driven by a very bucks down and down to earth guy. His car is as basic as it gets. It seems to me that it's the guy with the high dollar clone cars who doesn't want to race against the bucks down match race type gassers.

3. I have read the old rule books, 1969 they really took the fun out of it...

4. blownhemi48, get me a list of at least 8 confirmed AA/GS racers that will pay entrance to race, and I will see if I can get them a class. I talked at length with the Nostalgia AA/Gasser Racing Series, would love to have them, the track nor the Reunion can afford to book in 2 shows. The Classical AA/GS Group are already the booked in show by the track for getting folks in the stands.

5. blownhemi48

blownhemi48
    from Bergen NY

Ok I get it. I heard Beaver Bob wanted to find a way for all the AA/G groups to come together. It would probably take alot of money to get the groups to put their rules differences aside and race. Then you'll have at least one driver who would have to decide which group he would show his allegiance to because he belongs to both. Maybe Rocky's rocker panel rule is his way to keep his cars from going quicker than 5.50's. If that's the case he should just say so instead of claiming there were no low to the ground AA/G cars prior to June '67. He's wrong. I guess if Beaver Bob truely wants to put on a great AA/G race for the fans, it's probably going to take alot of cash to get the AA/G groups to set aside their rules differences and race. There's huge interest in AA/G racing these days and there 's still plenty of time to come up with sponsors to support a race like what was held at Thompson a couple of years ago. Besides, Rocky's cars are capable of running against the other groups if he were to decide to do so. Do the fans really want to only see the same few AA/G cars year after year because of petty politics and pride?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  6. My plate is pretty full right now, however, if you want to find a sponsors to bring in all the AA/GS cars, damn right we will have an AA/GS race.

7. blownhemi48

blownhemi48
    from Bergen NY

Well, let me propose this. I have a good idea what both AA/G groups get paid for appearing. They are only $500.00 apart. Instead of booking two different groups of AA/G cars, come up with $500.00 dollars more, don't book in either group, have open qualifying and divide that money (fair value) evenly amongst the eight qualifiers. I know that if the Nostalgia AA/G group were to race at Beaver Bob's reunion, they would bring their sponsors along with them to Beaver Springs. So the the AA/G guys would be racing for "x" number of dollars and the prizes the sponsors would bring, which would be subsantial. You would be getting sponsors who otherwise wouldn't be there. Sounds like a win/win to me. Now for the rules. Everybody keeps their cars the way they are. Rockys' guys can keep their cars high and run aluminum cylinder heads. The guys from up north can keep their cars low and run four links if they have them. Not all of them do. I'm sure that all of the AA/G cars probably cert to 8.50 which equates to something like 5.40 eighth mile. Make the index 5.40. You go quicker, you lose. It's still bracket racing but fair to everybody.

8. micky69

micky69
    from Ohio

Id do it at 5.50 even if that was the case for fudge factor not being on the index with the chassis certs.

This was my whole point of meets like this and Thompson should be open events with meet in the middle rules, wont happen though with the way things are.

9. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila

Craig and Micky,

Try checking the facts. Two years ago, the rules were made for BOTH groups to run this race, NONE of the Oddy/Rossiter guys showed up. Last year we had more then enough "Classical AA/GS" to have a eight car field, this year we may have close to 14 enter for a 8 car field. Rossitter had his chance at both tracks, both tracks choose to bring in the "Classical AA/GS Group" instead. There's a reason for this and a reason we have a full slate of events at both the largest's tracks and some of the smallest in the country....

Rocky

10. wasn't there a song out in the 60's called "Catch me if you can?"..
    oh wait,that wasn't about gassers..sorry..got confused..

You guys having fun???..do the A & B class ,get a sponsor to put up the "king of the gassers" and fightt it out or the cash..

oh wait,that wwas done in the 60's also...
    Man,time flies....

Rick

11. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila

Rick,

We're having a BLAST..! We have a great group of guys that love putting a show on for the fans! I have no idea why some people want to make changes to something that is working so well. My only suggestion to the very few that don't agree on what we're doing is to organize their OWN group and PROVE to the race tracks that they have something that will put fans in the seats.....

Rocky

12. 1320_racer

1320_racer
    from Canada

Rocky Pirrone,

Firstly, the true facts on why most of the Nostalgia AA/Gassers were not at the 2011 Gasser Reunion were because of rule discrepancies, payouts and entry requirements that were not up to the standards our club members were used to receiving. In 2012, most of our club memebers did not participate in the Gasser Reunion and Thompson event because the Classical AA/GS rules revisions wrote out the majority of our members. Also, payouts and entry requirements were still not up to our clubs standards. The Nostalgia AA/Gassers allow all club members and 2 crew into each club event for no charge and qualifiers 1 to 8, winner or runner up, share the money equally. Lastly, our club was booked at New London Dragway in Lynchburg Virginia the same weekend as the 2012 Thompson event.

Secondly, after reading through this thread, there have been some very good suggestions on how we can get both groups to run together again. Some of the Nostalgia AA/Gassers club members might possibly consider what has been proposed by "Blownhemi48". Our club will do whatever it takes to make the fans and tracks happy. I guess it's up to Beaver Springs or maybe we should have fans here at the HAMB vote and decide the outcome of the 2013 Gasser Reunion AA/GS show.

Take care Rocky!

13. Again, going to claim Switzerland in this argument. I will point out in Beaver Bob's defense, your proposal would require both groups to split what they normally get to put on a show, give or take your extra $500. In other words it would be 2 X (group bookings) plus the additional $500. The Classical AA/GS Group is already booked in. Bob is loyal to them because they put on a good show for him and this and other events. My suggestion is for the Nostalgia AA/G group to come and show what they can do. Have their sponsors kick in a purse, and the magazine will also kick in a purse based on car count. Then cars that would like from both groups could choose to run the proposed race.

14. Guys, you need to give Rocky a break! Beaver Bob chose to hire Rocky and his group to put on a show at Bob's track. You want a show at his track, call Beaver Bob.

15. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila

Michael,

Our groups objectives are WORLDS apart.. The "Classical AA/GS Group" is about bringing back a style of AA/GSer that went obsolete in 1968. There is a reason all the gassers started getting lower and lower to the ground, it was for performance and consistencey. Our group's MAIN objective is to give the fans a glimpse of what the 1960's "Gasser Wars" were all about. Our cars rarely go straight due to their high center of gravity and high horsepower, they are a handfull to drive and this is what the fans LOVE!
    Each and every member of the "Classical AA/GS Group" understands we're there to put on a SHOW FIRST and then after we deliver on that we light the top bulb and RACE...! There are no ego's of who's the fastest and quickest.. It's ALL about putting a smile on the fans AND promoters face.
    Beaver Springs and Thompson, along with all of the NHRA Hot Rod Reunions along with selected NHRA NATIONAL events have adopted the "Classical AA/GS Group" rules AND more importantly our objective. If you want to run at one of these events, get a copy of our rules/guidelines, follow them and you will be welcome to race with our group.

Rocky

16. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Well said Rocky, we have a group of gassers that have about the same rules as your group if anything ours are more strict. We are more centered around A/G no blowers 11 1/2" tire and short old school wheelie bar. Our deal is heads up no brake out. With the old school rules and high center of gravity it keeps every ones et close no matter what engine they have. Just like you said the fans love wheels up and guard rail to guard rail action. They can go to any local track on saturday night and see slot cars with nostalgia bodys. Keep up the good work I love your deal.

17. Rocky;
    As a fan ,(and i have said this many times),I want to see the best show for my buck..I would prefer to see as many gassers,, OLD style or new..on the track to shoot it out..

It isn't healthy for the hobby to have a splinter organizations bouncing around the country .i respect that everyone can get paid to play,but as a fan,that doesn't matter to me..I want to see the best show and the largest car count available.
    whether it be classical or not..there is room for everyone.

Rick
    -------------------------------------------------

18. badduce

badduce
    from aristes pa

the Deuce Bag will be there and i think it falls into the gasser class,everything sound good to me i will probably only be coming on sunday so when we have the driver meeting make sure to clearly explain the rules ,classes and what you can and can't do.also you should be teching the cars with the official tech guy so everyone gets in the right class,he does not comprehend a gasser.he was going to put me in hotrod class last year before i questioned him.

19. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila

Rick,

The "Classical AA/GS Group" is about "Up In The Air" unpredictable WILD AA/GS cars from the 60's. It isn't about four link, on the ground slow pro mods.... We formed the group to PRESERVE a place for the "Up In The Air Gassers", we put on a GREAT show and the tracks and fans LOVE it. We have PLENTY of places to run and you don't see us crying to get into events...... Splinter group? Seriously? We were racing these cars long before Oddy/Rossiter tried to "splinter" what we were doing. You guys can CRY all you want. We'll CONTINUE to have a BLAST and ENTERTAIN the fans with the "SHOW" we put on. I wish you all the best...but suggest you spend more time EARNING events then trying to CRY your way in.....

Rocky

20. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila

Thanks Quain..... Some GET IT and some don't. There's a lot of crying going on because we're getting the events and recognition.... Some think they can call a on the ground, four link car with modern wheels and injection "Nostalgia AA/GS", then expect the promoters and public to buy it. Thank GOD, BOTH are a lot smarter...... If their "product" was so good, they wouldn't have to come on here and try and CRY their way into races.

21. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

We only have 12 cars right now for that very reason if it don't fit the rules we can't let them run. Tracks are telling us that they would rather have a short field of cars than 1/2 of them be cars like they have every Saturday night. We are redoing our rules now to be more period correct this year. We want them to look right in the pits as well as on the track. We still have a couple of cars that have a few problems but they are minor like high back seats and such. I have an electric fan on my radiator and it just slaps you in the face when the hood is up. I'm trying to come up with some way to hide it.

22. 1933t

1933t
    from Buffalo NY

Your amazing Rocky LOL LOL LOL LOL

Attached Files:

23. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

All i can say is thanks don for doing all this work and dealing with the headaches.I have delt with alot of issues with what my car is and where it fits.I don't really care as long as i get to go down the 1/4mile and have fun.Last year was the first one i missed in 7 years and it really sucked!!!!The year before i had a blown motor from the week before but i still brought my car and had a blast!!!I'm looking forward to making it out this year and can't wait.hope to see everyone there!

24. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

i think this is what fans like to see.Look out this year,you might finally get a good look at my taillights!!!{lol}

Attached Files:

25. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

Did ya buy a cheby motor ????
    Had to........

26. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

nope!!just built a new 566hp-515lbs AMC 401.too bad i blew the tranny on the 2nd pass last year!!!all fixed and ready to go though!

Attached Files:

27. Boy..... YOU really are FULL of YOURSELF Rocky!

And I'm going to leave it at that.

28. ftroop

ftroop
    from Detroit

Where is Ken Kuhl when you need him!!!!!!

29. please....

30. Rocky;
    Having known you as long as i have,I finally realized, you have missed the whole content of my last note..
    Your group, Rossitters,the altered dudes,the funny car groups,are ALL splinter groups..

I don't see anyone CRYING about bookings. All i'm saying is lets put on the best show with as many GASSERS that are available..

If the "Oddy /Rossitter" car slowed their cars down to 5;60 ,would that make it Classical?

I am sorry to say,but I have lost respect for the whole Gasser program.

This poor dog has been beat on as long as I have belong to Gas/Fx group,and now here..

Sure glad I have an altered...Least I don't get the "period correctness police" chasing me...LOL

Rick