Register now to get rid of these ads!

Indy Style Car - Barn Find Need Help ID'ng

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kasultana, Jan 18, 2013.

1. kasultana

kasultana

Today we brought home an Indy style car which has been in storage for many years. We are getting more history on the car but believe chassis was built mid-50's. At some point in its life it turned into a dirt car. Wing was added in the '60s. We'll start working on it tomorrow but anyone who has stories/pictures would be helpful to be sure we take the car to the way it was or if makes sense leave as is and just get it running.

Attached Files:

2. n847

n847

WOW...I can't help but cool car!

3. Cool old piece of history. HRP

4. kasultana

kasultana

Thanks kinda like Christmas all over again at the shop. Half don't want to take the dust off, half want to turn it back into an Indy Car, load in a flathead with sidepipes and go. Love to find some more info on it so we can do it right regardless.

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

THE Bobby Allison?:eek: Damn.

6. kasultana

kasultana

Maybe so. Lady who owned it said yes he drove it a few times. But, have to do some detective work to really find out. Keep thinking you don't keep a race car this nice for this long if it wasn't special.

7. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Gotta be some cool history right there... Love it.

8. kasultana

kasultana

Created an album on my profile to add a few more pictures. Maybe it will spark some memories.

9. I would think that if Bobby Allison drove it at some point, enough that his name is painted on it, that the history of it might be forthcoming. Neat find and good luck.

10. C-10 CST

C-10 CST
    from Indy

I'm not to sure about it being an Indy car, it looks more like a sprint car to me. I guess when you dig up more history you can let us know.

11. kasultana

kasultana

Need to take some measurements of the wheelbase tomorrow and see if we can find a chassis number on it. I'll keep this updated as we go.

12. Boss 302 Mustang

Boss 302 Mustang
    from Duxbury MA

I agree with C-10...with the wing, it looks like an outlaw sprint car, not a championship trail dirt car. And I am not too sure that "the" Bobby Allison drove open wheel cars

13. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

After looking at the other pictures, I'd have to agree. I'm no expert, but looks like it's been restored at some point. Josh Shaw could get you straight on exactly WHAT it is, I'm sure. He might even know the car.

Cool car either way, and very complete. I bet it'll run without much problem.

The Bobby, did drive open wheel cars, ALOT.

14. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

15. boogeracng

boogeracng
    from Eureka,MO

I'm by no means an expert, but looks like the wheelbase is too short to have been an Indy car......more likely a USAC sprint car. And how many Bobby Allisons could there be out there. This one should be a pretty quick research project. Good luck with it, no matter how the history lesson turns out.

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

17. kasultana

kasultana

Will do thanks. I'll keep the thread going with some tear down and other photos as we go.

18. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

Nice old tube rail sprint car, since you have a Davidson address why dont you go over to Beams Trailer Sales in Mooresville and ask them to help you get in touch with Bobby Allison and ask him about the car.

19. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Appears it's a 1960s CAE sprint car. And yes, Bobby Allison started out racing open wheel cars in Fla.

20. fleet-master

fleet-master

cool car!! bound to be some history around on it... iirc the Leonard Lopez at Dominator Motorsports is into them...maybe worth a try?

21. fleet-master

fleet-master

now THAT would be the best way of gettin info..

22. kasultana

kasultana

I know Alex personally in fact the shop is in one of his buildings. I'll give him a call tomorrow. I know another person in Davidson that knows Bobby too. I'm hoping we can find out.

23. Hot Rod Apprentice

Hot Rod Apprentice

Great find.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

24. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

25. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

If you know Alex Beam.... You're real close to finding out.

26. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Here is another resource I just discovered recently, Vintage Oval Racing magazine. http://www.vintageovalracing.com They might be able to help with the identification.

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

If that is a Hilborn injection setup sent the ID number to them and they can tell you who bought the unit new. Nice find, looks like a nice dirt car. Bob

28. Dr Dirt

Dr Dirt

Looks just like my 1962 CAE sprint car with added cage

29. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Post it on the vintage sprint car thread here, I'm sure they can pull some C.S.I. Shit on it and get you all the info you need.

30. PackardV8

PackardV8

FWIW, I knew Bobby Allison way back in the day and yes, he started racing open wheeled cars in Florida, but they were modified stock cars. IIRC, he ran a 1930 Chevy coupe, among several others. While it's possible he briefly drove a sprint/champ-style dirt car, I never recall seeing him do so.

Like everyone else, we wait further information with interest.

jack vines