Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

You will. I will be bringing the KK2000 I hed there this year, and I'll be there with Other Millers.

:)

2. 32STUPRES

32STUPRES

Hey Josh, read the thread below....you'll love it! We also plan to be back at Milwaukee in '13 with Akin's cars....Joe

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=769057

3. 4BANGER DIRT RACER

4BANGER DIRT RACER

Hi Carl. Thank you for your kind words of encouragement. It has been a long struggle but I can see the light at the end of the proverbial tunnel at last. Not easy building stuff outside with our climate, but you have to keep at it! Will post more pictures when progress allows.
    Regards Simon

4. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Josh...

I sympathize completely. When I was at IRP, I was there from sunup until almost midnight every day. It wasn't like going to work at all. Now, I try to work on race track stuff and PR stuff every minute I can from my wheelchair. Even looking for more PR stuff to do. Stay with it, man, it keeps you young. And you're good at it!

5. pavementends

pavementends
    from Utah

Beautiful car Hotrod98. Makes me wonder if your belly rubs the steering wheel when you breate or do you breathe while scooting around flying that left front. Anyway, nice job...be proud of it.

6. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Since I'm mainly a midget guy I was fishing for someone (Micheal Ferner?) to identify the Peters Special in the photo.

Is this a Ted Horn car?

[​IMG]

7. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Yep. Originally built by Curly Wetteroth for Lou Moore and Floyd Roberts in 1939, won Indy two years later with Mauri Rose up (and a little help by Floyd Davis), purchased by Fred Peters of Gasoline Alley in Paterson (NJ) in 1946, and driven by Horn that year to two second place finishes, and by Bill Holland in '47 to two firsts. Also driven by Joie Chitwood, Sam Hanks, Walt Brown, Johnny Shackleford, Walt Ader, Duke Nalon, Ken Fowler (who was crew chief on it); then bought by Ray Carter of Atlanta (GA) after Peters died in 1948, and driven by Mel Hansen (one win), Troy Ruttman, Hanks again and Bob Sweikert. Bought by Jack Robbins of Charlotte (NC) in 1951, and Penny Mullis the following year for Buck Baker to win the NASCAR Speedway Division. I *think* it was used years later by Bob Harkey in (one of) his first Sprint Car races.

Can you tell me something about the Fred Peters Midgets? :)

8. TommyA19

TommyA19

I have that exact photo in my Johnny Ritter photo article. What I'd like to know is what was Ritter doing, and why? That's his # 3 in the foreground.

9. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

The simple answer of course might be, he's graphically showing the diference in wheel base between the midget and the big car.

That may not be the only answer.

10. TommyA19

TommyA19

After a closer look, I believe you're correct. Now, is that a "Sprint" car or a "Champ" car? From what I can recall, Joe Barzda "stretched" his midget into a Sprint car by just moving the front axle forward. Looking at that photo - that would be an awful long "stretch".

11. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

12. HOTROD98

HOTROD98
    from idaho

Thank you for the kind words, and your right i need to lose some belly. Good thing its vintage racing very few laps for the breathing thing. And I love your # 24 Edmonds sprinter they don't get any nicer.

13. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

The midget in this photo still exists and was at Terre Haute in 2011 along with Carl's Miller replica. I can't remember all of the details but I think the owner told me that the car had raced well into the 1950s with various engines. He also said that a driver was killed in the car but I can't remember where at the moment; I want to say somewhere in Michigan. At any rate here's a photo of the car at Terre Haute.

Attached Files:

14. J.D.W.

J.D.W.

Everyone Hello: I am a New member to your site and I hopefully will be able to share stories and pictures of the old days about my Father who raced IMCA in the 50's and 60's. My fathers name was Jimmy Williams from Des Moines Iowa. I grew up in Knoxville Iowa watching Jerry Blundy, Jay Woodside, Hank Smith, Thad Dosher, Johny Bapp, Earl Wagner and many others in the Day. I always had a Great Time setting in all the cars when I was young and running around at the tracks. My dad drove for Doc Shaffer in the circle 4 car, Slim Guetnick in Pleaseville Iowa and this car almost killed him at the Iowa State Fair in 1964. He drove for so many other owners in the day.
    I am currenlty posting a picture of a famous car that I found when I was in Irag in 2008. I will list the History of the car and pictures when it raced USAC in the Day. The car you are looking at is the 98 Grant King Watson Wilkey car from 1972 to 1975. Then the car was sold to Bill O'Connor and it was the Aviator Special driven by Larry Rice. Then Bill sold the car to Billy McGee in Tampa Flordia in 1978 and I am not sure how long Billy had the car. Next the car was sold to Mike Baserack? did a guess on the spelling of his last name. I was told by Marion Jacobs who I bought the car from that Mike had the car for 2 years and had to sell the car. To my understanding by Marion the car caught fire and then Mike was getting a devorce and sold the car to Marion Jacobs when he lived in Atlanta in 1988. Marion raced the car and owned the car until I bought it when I came back from Iraq in 2009. I have spoken with Bill O'Connor, Joe Noble several times and they both have been a Great Help with restoring the car. Bill has given me pictures, and his jacket when it was the Gatorade Car with other cool stuff.
    Currently the car is being restored by Butch Evans in Circleville Ohio. He is doing a Great Job on the Car and restoring it the way it ran. I will post pictures if you would like to see the progress. I also want to Thank Paul Martins for all the help and guidance on the car to make it right. One more person that has been a Great Help is Bill Jamieson who is restoring the 14 Smith Speed Shop car from Eaton Ohio. These 3 folks have been Great to me since Butch started on the 98 Car.
    I am currently a Retired Army Blackhawk Test Pilot after serving 32 years in the service. We hope to have the car done this summer to have fun with and enjoy. The car is being build in my Dads name since he passed away before he could see it and enjoy running with the old timers....Please if anyone has any history on the car please let me know.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  15. J.D.W.

J.D.W.

This is Larry Rice at Eldora April 10th 1977 and this is what the 98 Gatorade Car car will look like when Butch gets done restoring it. The picture is from John Mahoney collection...

Attached Files:

16. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Cool find man! Thanks for your service as well!

J Shaw

17. Bill Chadbourne

Bill Chadbourne
    from Sonora Ca.

Hi J.D.W.: Welcome, Doc Shaffeer was an old frend of mine. You say you were a kid running around at Knoxville, were you there in 1969-1970? I owned the ex Bob Slater car which was ran as one of the 4x Speedway Motors cars driven by Jan Opperman, and the 2x car driven by Lil Joe Saldana. Bill

18. kasultana

kasultana

Great thread. Check our new-old car out. Any info on it would be appreciated. With all the info on this thread I'm sure someone has run across the car. Believe its a mid-50's chassis with wing added in '60's.

Attached Files:

19. charms61

charms61

Keep me in the Beck loop please. My dad, Bob Bollheimer, drove for Harold Beck. Diane Beck-Lane is my cousin !
    Debbie Bollheimer-Hampton

20. paddybuilt

paddybuilt
    from SoCal

Nice Find! looks al there.

21. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

TommyA,
    this was over on the midget thread

[​IMG]

It was a spread for life magazine. Looks like a comparison piece.

22. sideways27

sideways27

Hi Charms61, I sent you a PM regarding the Beck cars.

Also anyone that may be interested in a Steve Kinser Coors Light sprint car that needs to be restored please pm me. I know a guy that has the 1986 Knoxville car that won. He only has the frame, hood, sidepanels and motor plate. Please PM Me.

23. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Does anyone out there have any bio data on Herbert Oliver('H.O.') Manges? He was the first driver of the Frankland Staggervalve('Big-Car') & was killed in it at Tiffen, Ohio on mother's day 1940. What else did he drive,& for who,& where? ...drtrcrV-8

24. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Herb Manges was born Sep 5, 1904 in Tiffin (OH), and first appears Sep 21, 1930 in my records, at the final New Bremen Speedway race of the year. He was then listed as being from Tiffin, later mostly Fremont (OH) and Detroit (MI, from 1937 onwards). Mainly raced in the area (Toledo, Steubenville, Fremont, Greenville, Monongahela, Arden, Dayton, Hartford) until going on tour with the IMCA in 1937 & '38, when he raced the Midwest extensively, and in the East from Atlanta (GA) to Syracuse (NY). Was a regular at Hammond Raceway in 1939. Drove many different cars, including a Model A Ford (1933), Fronty-Ford (1934), Miller (1934), DO Hal (1937) and Hispano-Suiza (1937) before joining up with Jimmy Frankland in '38, but the only other owner name I have is Karl Behlmer of Ohio in 1936.

25. racer8

racer8
    from Wisconsin

ED Rachanski of Z MAX Has sold his large open wheel collection to Bill Smith Museum of American Speed in Lincoln Neb

26. racer5c

racer5c

27. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Thanks Michael Ferner: I've been interested in finding more about Manges for a long time, especially the time prior to the Frankland ride, as my other sources didn't have much detail except that he was driving a lot, & was a popular driver. ...drtrcrV-8

28. wvjimmie

wvjimmie

It's been a while since I was last here. Don't know why but I keep forgetting about this place:eek:

Here's a couple sweet looking sprint cars from the west coast.

Colby Scoggins and Don Davis. Now these were 100% sprint cars. Nothing better in my opinion.

Attached Files:

29. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The ECCA car ended up in the care and custody of the Unsers. Lives at the Unser Museum nowadays.

Attached Files:

30. unassembled

unassembled
    from San Diego

Hi everyone, Does anyone know if, or where, I can get a rebuild kit for a Lehman water pump?