Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ever considered living in your shop?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by powmia, Jan 17, 2013.

1. manyolcars

manyolcars

The safety man told me there is absolutely positively NO WAY to stop smoke from entering the living space.
    (I think it can be done but you do need to put effort into this)
    Its not the fire in the shop that kills you but the smoke creeping in cracks that suffocates you in your sleep.

2. Big T

Big T
    from Florida

Drove a 24 hour wrecker and lived above a body shop for about a year. Nothing more depressing than getting off work and going upstairs to live. However, if you owned the shop that would probably make a difference,

3. When I was building the wagon I spent a lot more time in the shop than in the house. HRP

4. OLLIN

OLLIN

I'm totally trying to do this soon. I've been looking but its tough here in los angeles with all my requirements. Im holding out for something on the ground floor with a roll up door. The ones that are cool are too expensive, and the affordable ones are deep in the hood. I want to try to find something with a small fenced off yard so my chick could pull her car in, and I can park projects, have a dog etc. I just need a covered spot to work on my hot rod, and to build my furniture and other projects. I've known people who've done it, and I lived in an artists colony for a year. It was super inspiring, and I got a lot done and met some cool peeps. Just invest in an electric blanket and get used to wearing sandals..
    as long as you keep it clean, its not bad at all. if you have roommates just be clear and agree on things before hand. We threw some cool parties, and we had a big white wall to project on.
    I designed a cool one in Austin tx for a guy here on the hamb who posted this question a couple of years ago. I think he's starting construction any day now.

5. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

If I ever find myself single again, I would find a piece of land and build a shop with living quarters above it. Life would be good....

6. It is! But Carla HATES grinder stink

7. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

This reminds me of - Chico and the Man :)

8. dogpatch customs

dogpatch customs
    from ohio

My Idol's KRASS & BERNIE did it. I'm "bout to, too. ha

Attached Files:

9. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

One of the primary reasons the average lifespan has more than doubled over the past 100+ years is sanitation and the clean water that comes with it.

10. ed_v

ed_v
    from Kentucky

I am building a shop with an office and a separate small apartment for when family comes to visit. We live on a farm in a very rural area. There is no zoning to deal with here.

I will warn the op about one thing. I do not do anything automotive for a living. I work from home and it involves sitting in front of a computer all the time. It gets really difficult having your workplace being where you reside at times. Sometimes it feels like I don't leave the house for weeks at a time.

Good luck. If I wasn't married, I'd live in my shop.

Ed

11. groundpounder

groundpounder
    Member Emeritus

This is no shit!.....theres a old Firehouse in Lincolnton, NC. That's for sale...75 K.....huge three bay building, huge kitchen, Bath with shower and living quarters next to the bays. Asphalt parking lot with fence around property......Hey Honey let's buy it!!!......she said No!....If I was single (this would make Divorce# 3! ) I'd be movin' into Now!

12. Grumbler

Grumbler

I'm halfway there. If the bitch keeps pissing me off.......:mad: uploadfromtaptalk1358554476680.jpg

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

13. Recently moved from AZ to OK.
    Had 1850 sqft home, 4 car garage and 2800 sqft shop on 1/2 acre.
    Now 1750 sqft home,3 car garage and 3200 sqft shop attached, on 3 acres.
    No mortages on either and the taxes are 1/4 what AZ is.
    Also No restrictions here either.
    Anybody wanna buy a home and shop in AZ?

Attached Files:

14. manyolcars

manyolcars

I like the idea of living over the shop but stairs are a Very Bad idea as you get older and impossible if you get injured. Does anyone know of a link for a small lift that could lift refrigerators and a couch, etc. I would like one that does not require electricity

15. slammed

slammed

4X4 wench and some strap's.

16. 73RR

73RR

Now we're getting someplace......:D

[​IMG]

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

So, it shops were bridges, would we be trolls? Makes ya wonder.:D

18. fordsum

fordsum
    from SO CA

I like the old firehouse …. And it come with a pole I can see many bachelors parties.... as they say could of, should of would of.......

19. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Hand crank boat winch with block and tackle. Any thing is possible.

20. What if you make the 'kitchen' look like an 'employee break room' and the 'sleeping quarters' look like the employee's or owners 'lounge area' ??

How far can they take it? How bad can they hassle you?

21. edweird

edweird

thats funny. i'm considering it right now if my wife keeps her shit up!:eek:

22. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Not on purpose, thought I was gonna have to a few times... :rolleyes:

23. unkamort

unkamort

Hope this thread takes off... Just got the papers on MY land last Wednesday! Have been researching pole barn construction, and playing with scetch-up in an effort to design my soon to be new living/work space. You guys should offer up some pix of your space and spread around any good ideas on the subject.

24. manyolcars

manyolcars

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  25. harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

You just don't ask, then keep your mouth shut.

26. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

This is an idea worth considering. just don't leave cooking utensils, clothing, etc laying around shop. again, need to have good ventilation and emergency lighting.

27. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

When I got divorced, I lived in the back of my 59 Ford panel truck in a garage I rented. Kept everything inside the panel in case the landlord walked in. I was working night shift, got off work and went to the gym. Had the gym pretty much to myself at 3:00 in the morning. Used the shower, and hot tub, and I was in good shape. Got home, slept in the panel, woke up and worked on my projects. During this time I had no phone, and no obligations. Ate wherever I wanted, enjoyed life, and saved money for my house and shop. Years later, I realize how good I had it. I was truly free. Now I have too many bills and too much responsibility. Seriously thinking about doing it all over. I already have a 57 Ford Panel truck, LOL.

Roothawg likes this.
  28. harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

Consider a metal building, make it 16" high with living in one end.

29. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

That will be awfully cozy.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad