Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Airbag kits

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod54chevy, Jan 15, 2013.

1. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

What's the best out there, guys? I know Air Ride Tech has been a big player in the game, but I wanted to know what you guys prefer. With a Mustang II, do I just buy bags/mounts and swap my springs out for em and hook up the lines? And do the rear bags depend on if I'm 4-linking it or not? I probably will be. Just wanted to see what the best way to do it would be since swapmeet season is coming! Thanks, everyone!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. Tin Can

Tin Can

It seems like air bag kits are like women, everyone likes something different.

3. mattrod68

mattrod68

kustombuilder here on the hamb seems to always pop up when people are talking about custom kits.

personally i feel that Ridetech is a little overpriced. and although the stuff i ordered from them was correct, i have a good builder friend of mine who cant seem to get a shipment from them that doesn't have mismatched parts, and incorrect part numbers.

if i were going to buy my stuff again and didn't want to piece all the valves and bags and brackets together myself, i would find a hamb member in the o'dex who could set me up. might as well spread some money around to little guys on here who share their knowledge and experience for free.

4. Blake84

Blake84

if i was doing it all again i would just get a plug and play kit where everything is all ready set up and organized. i plan on running a plug and play kit and accuair e level system in my 1950 ford shoebox

5. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

I was thinking 4 link, but I'm also wanting to add power steering eventually, so hopefully it doesn't change things too much! I'll keep everyone posted! Thanks!

6. Tin Can

Tin Can

I bought my kit from kustombuilder, mine was a pug and play kit that was very easy to hook up. For the mustang II they make lower control arms for the bag to mount to and you will need a cup for the upper bag mount. On the rear are you planning to c-notch it to lay frame with it? Alex Gambino is a great resource for all your needs for your car.

7. mike23impala

mike23impala

airbagit.com

Gameoverbuilt likes this.
  8. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

damn straight. whatever the case...make sure you have an extra bag, fittings and a line or two. you're gonna find leaks and such down the road

9. big creep

big creep

accuair.com has a badass set up, its what i have!

10. Tin Can

Tin Can

The acuair system looks pretty slick with the touch pad for all of the settings.

11. mike23impala

mike23impala

airbagit.com
    has manual air switch valves that look like toggle swiths that really caught my attention...

12. big creep

big creep

that place sell some good stuff and a lot of junk too.

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All junk. Stay away!

14. Desotoben

Desotoben
    from Arizona

I shouldnt day what kits are best. My buddies helped me out by selling our giving me most if my stuff. Having freinds that have buddies in the"bagging" business helps with cost. There are kits just for MII out there that will make your conversion simple. Dont forget the shock kit for the front a-arm s. My truck is 4 linked in the rear with bags. what are you working on. Might even be a rear kit for your ride. Good luck with your project. Thanks for the tips everyone else, this helped me as well on good plug n play kits

15. Desotoben

Desotoben
    from Arizona

I meant i couldnt say . Damn spell correct on my stupid smart phone

16. accuair. no doubt,

with that e ride electronic leveling, its no doubt the best one out there

17. mitchsfab

mitchsfab

I did a set up on Merc with accuair, and hard lined the whole system. It takes 2 weeks for it to leak down. I prefer to hard line because you will have no issues of line failure. The accuair speaks for itself.

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I work for an Accuair dealer, so I am biased. I do, however, install 1-2 complete systems per week, and I like them. FAR fewer plumbing connection to potentially leak from, unlike an old-school system. Once you add up all of the valves and brass you need for an old school system, chase leaks, and even replace a few fittings, you are creeping up on the cost anyway. If you do get an Accuair system, make sure you specify a 200psi max system. The default is 150psi max. The E-Level system is nice, but not necessary. The Switch Speed system works just fine.

19. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

Is this a 50's Chevy? We sell accuairs stuff and have tail dragger kits for all the 40's & 50's cars ....trianglated 4 bar over the axle mounts notch's bags and shock mounts call us 408 561 5744 if you already have a MII in the front alls you need is bags , shock mounts ,upper bag plates to make cups..

20. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a probably 7-8 year old Air Ride Tech "ride pro E" I think it's called in my '54. It's always worked alright, but lately it's been acting up.

I'm gonna replace it with an accuair set up ASAP. We used accuair on my buddy's 53 and it was rad. And they have a neat iPhone app that remote controls it, if you're into that ki da thing.

21. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

I'd rather not notch my car. I want to be able to run a full trunk. I don't need to lay frame, I'd just like a more drivable car that looks cool. 4 inch blocks give a hell of a ride, especially long distances!

22. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

you never said what kind or year of car is it a 54 chevy like it says in your avatar
    why even bag it if you dont want to notch it ? a 54 dosnt realy get that low with out a notch why not just use air shocks with valves and compresor and tank ? i take it you have a MII up front ? what brand ? if your serious and relay want to make this happen call us i can put some thing together that will work for your needs

23. Dirty54

Dirty54

how many dead bodys you looking to put in your trunk .. lol. these cars have HUGE trunks you can mount a skinny 5 gallon on top of the notch and still have room for compressors next to it

24. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

I'm a beginning painter with lots of supplies so I need my trunk space to travel. Yeah, Gambino, it's a '54. I'd be happy with air shocks if I knew how much drop I'd get. Like I said, I have 4 inch blocks now and I'd like to get around the same drop, maybe a little lower, but it's really the ride. Interstate drives aren't fun with a static drop, and I want my wife to tolerate traveling with me.

I also want to show this car, and a finished fully upholstered trunk would mean more to me than laying frame. What's your thoughts, Gambino? Thanks, guys!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

25. V8edmini

V8edmini
    from Salina, ks

i got my stuff from airbagit.com. the only issue i have had is the quick connect fittings leaking. since theni have changed most over to compresion dot fittings. if i could do it all over again i would have spent the extra money for the better fittings

26. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Keep in mind that with no notch you wont be able to drive as low as it is now on blocks as the bag at that point would be completley deflated givin a terrible ride and riskin a torn bag. A c-notch can help too, no need for a fat step notch.

27. Dirty54

Dirty54

so you are going to be putting painting supplies in a fully upholstered trunk that you wanna be able to show ? sounds like a problem waiting to happen how long do you think its going to stay clean

28. 59 brook

59 brook

my wagon had an old air ride tech system which worked fine i recently updated to accuair e level . if i had to do it again i would probably go with ride tech . both companies haqd good service, ridetech is a little bit more money but their system shows the bags pressure's individually which the accuair doesnt

29. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

No, the paint goes in the back seat and the suitcases go in the trunk. Told you, I want to travel more. Small cans of paint are fine in a travel case. They seal up like full size cans. Also, I'm talking about completely replacing the leaf springs, so that would give a little more drop. I'm not concerned with bag wear on underenflated bags because I won't be riding with them that low. They'd be higher for driving and dropped for sitting.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

30. Dirty54

Dirty54

if u want to replace leaf springs with bags you are gunna have to either run a 2 or 4 link