Register now to get rid of these ads!

Newbie from the UK

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Zebedee, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Zebedee

Zebedee

Hiya, i'm Martin from the west coast of Cumbria in the UK.
    I've been a VW adict for the best part of 25 years but i'm now starting to see the light and feel a Yank motor is what i've been missing in my life.

As a lurker on here for a good few years i thought it was about time i registered and said hello.

2. dad-bud

dad-bud

Welcome there Zebedee
    What sort of Yank motor spins your wheels?
    Do tell.

3. Welcome from a former Brit in Nor Cal

4. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Welcome from Detroit

5. ^^^^^ Another displaced Brit ;)

6. Zebedee

Zebedee

I quite fancy a 50's Chevy stepside pickup or even better any 40's/50's CoE truck. They're as rare as hens teeth in the UK though and importing one is a costly exercise. :(

7. 50 chevy matt

50 chevy matt
    from UK

Hey Zebedee, welcome from the UK also, i own a 1950 chevy 3100 with a lot done and there are a few of us on here who also own similar trucks
    have a look on the A-D TRUCKS in social, or better still look on my profile and its on there, right hand side, lots of info etc on the 47-53 chevy pickup
    all the best
    Matt
    p.s. have you signed up on our British forum www.rodsnsods.co.uk ? worth having a look .

8. Zebedee

Zebedee

Hiya Matt, never seen the rodsnsods site before. Gonna have to take a look now.:)

9. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Welcome from Kentucky & Tennessee in the USA!

10. I agree with that, R'n'S can really help you out! Welcome to the HAMB!

11. Welcome Martin from another brit that jumped the pond
    where in Cumbria Workington?

12. Zebedee

Zebedee

I'm just up the road in Maryport.

13. Tim G

Tim G

Welcome! I'm from the UK too and been into VW's for 20 years, still have a 53 bug and a 61 Canterbury Pitt camper but now most my interest is in pre 55 Yanks... i have a 50 Shoebox Ford on the road but selling it soon to fund my 40 Chevy Coupe. i also fancy a COE, you can pick on up in the States and import it for less than 5K if you buy right... I though that was quite reasonable.

14. Zebedee

Zebedee

5k does sound pretty good.
    I like the idea of a CoE cab on a later drivetrain but I've been wondering how the DVLA would react to a 40's CoE cab on a later pickup chassis though. I suspect it'd not pass the BIVA and would give it a Q plate or even refuse to register it.:(

15. kooscoe

kooscoe

Cool that you are looking into buying A COE truck. I build my 51 Chevy Coe on to a 1972 GMC 1/2ton pickup chassis.
    But I like to build a new project so my COE truck is for sale.
    Its already on the road legal in Holland so I think it will be much more easier to get it on the road in the UK.
    Greetings Koos

[​IMG]

16. ColinD

ColinD
    from England

Hi Zebedee

What you want to do is possible if you do it correctly. It would class as a rebody and would need a visual inspection at a DVLA local office (if they haven't been closed down). It based on the 8 point system which you can find more about here https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/radically-altered-vehicles and here http://www.the-ace.org.uk/chassis-and-monocoque-modification/

I've had the idea myself and thought that a Nissan Cabstar or Mitsubishi Canter might make a decent base vehicle.

Colin

17. Hi Zeb: Welcome from the Derby City. Have fun lurking around. You'll find something you like before long.