Register now to get rid of these ads!

440 Chrysler into 57 chev

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wade57, Jan 16, 2013.

1. aaggie

aaggie

It's no worse than my Chevy powered Mustang. At the local drag strip the final rounds in some classes are SBC engines in Fox body Mustangs.

2. wade57

wade57
    from BC Canada

I was looking for a 331or 354 hemi, then my uncle gave me this 440 and tranny out of a 1974 motor home. I have a 283, but that would be boring

Tow Truck Tom and Clay Belt like this.
  3. chopd top

chopd top
    from Florida
    1. HAMB Relays

I'm STILL laughing about this one! :D

Tow Truck Tom and Clay Belt like this.
  4. BELAIR1957

BELAIR1957
    from PA

Wish i had under hood pictures of this 55 nomad.
    When i purchased it, it had a 383 mopar engine and torqe flite transmission in it.
    I drove it for a whlie like that. It worked good.
    I sold it about two years latter, the person took the motor out the same day.
    Today it has a 454 chevy in it.

Attached Files:

5. wade57

wade57
    from BC Canada

I for got to mention my wagon will have a Fiberglas flip front end,no inner fenders and a 49 chev straight axle

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

That does sound better than a 283. Its big block or no block for me thank you.

Clay Belt likes this.
  7. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

There was a 55 back in the 80's I think called the bronze elephant......426 hemi under the hood! Don't remember what mag it was in..........

8. kracker36

kracker36

Im sure that the owner was devastated every time that a big block chevrolet blew his doors off. Was it a 4 door? You need as many as possible when the Chevys blow them all off :rolleyes:

zzford likes this.
  9. snaptwo

snaptwo

You could also use what some of "Morepower" guys use when planting a hemi into a small body, "elephant ears". Like a front motor plate that sandwiches between the front of the block and the water pump . I say go for it, sometimes nessecity becomes the mother of invention. We put a RB 383 and 727 into a '62 C-30 welding truck , pretty easy swap and is still on the road today.

10. Reggie Jackson had a '55 Chevy with a 426, it was pretty cool. He made it appear factory underhood and had that long curved Hurst shifter from like a '64 Belvedere.

11. 52ragtop

52ragtop
    from Nebraska

Very cool '57 with a Hemi just sold on freebay.. I luv it.

12. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I keep telling my Pop when he kicks off I'm going to stuff a 440 in his 1957 Chevy Bel Air! :eek: :cool:

I thought about a 440 or 383 for my 1956 Chevy but ended up using a 350 because I had a runner handy and the side mounts for it were already in it.

13. hippy killer

hippy killer

x2 have a friend doing a bbf in 57 nomad

14. cakes

cakes

I think this is an awesome idea. I love the big mopars,I probably would have done something crazy in my 54 if it didnt already have the bbc

15. rbonazzoli

rbonazzoli
    from Dallas, TX

The humor on the HAMB is better than any sitcom or late night comedy show.

Clay Belt likes this.
  16. dblgun

dblgun

Ric at Panneton Bros. racing's recent post on the 56 gasser found has a wedge motor setup in it. Check it out for some ideas. Big Block Mopars are easy to stick into anything with "elephant ear" mounts.

17. Model T1

Model T1

Go for it! I have pondered this idea for years. Have a 1948 Chevy panel truck with a rebuilt 350 combo in it. Looks nice but is boring. Son yanked the 440 and Torqueflite out of our 77 Dodge motorhome and planned on putting it in his 1950 Studebaker. Like me, more ideas than time or money.
    So I keep thinking that 440 would look nice in the 48 Chevy panel truck painted orange with Chevy script valve covers.
    Dare to be different because you can. Those Umakee mounts make installation a breeze.;)

Clay Belt likes this.
  18. lawman

lawman

Sound's cooool !!! But I think a Hudson 8 with twin "H" power would
    be a lot better and get you noticed at all the tuner car show's !!! LOL

Clay Belt likes this.
  19. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

best ever mopar street engine ---57 what?

20. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

Thats cute...I picture you sitting in your chevy with it on jacks in the garage, with it all in pieces making car noises as you crank on the steering wheel side to side, like a 5 year old kid. Someday you will grow up and know what a real motor looks like :D

I love this! I wish i could see the look of disgust of all the chevy guys faces on the other side of there computers!!!! Makes it so worth it, But doing it would mean we are no better then the chebbie nuts sticking there motors in everything they can get ahold of. So my vote is put a chevy in it, if it was a ford put a ford in it, and same with Dodge. Just my 2 Cents;)

Mopar Tony likes this.
  21. Harry o

Harry o
    from Georgia

My buddy put a 440 in a 57 hardtop in 1968 ... Ran great ... He did a state patrol turn around running 70 mph and that was the end for that 57 ... I was a tank & armored personell carrier mechanic in the army ... The 114 apcs had a 283 chevy engine ... the 113 apcs had 360 mopar engines ... I put around 50 new 283s in the 114s and never had to replace one of the 360 mopars ... You cant beat a good mopar engine ... Hell yes !!! Put that 440 in that baby and ride ...

Clay Belt likes this.
  22. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

If you can find a BB Mopar oil pan for a truck, you'll be ahead of the game--Trucks are rear sump.

-Brad

23. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

here's how you figure the value of a 440 powered 57 Chevrolet. look at the old car price guide for cars in your condition, then rather than looking at the 1957 Chevrolet page, look at the page showing values of a 62 Rambler.:D

zzford likes this.
  24. Fugly Too

Fugly Too

Motor Plate.

Remember, that Chevy has never dealt with this much horsepower........EVER!

Attached Files:

25. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't know if he is on here. There is a guy in N.W. Pa. that has a 426 M.W. in a '57. It's called Suprise Package. Someone here might know him. I have one in a '40 Ford coupe. Hurst used to make mounts to do it but I made my own. Hurst mounts made it sit too high. They might have also made mounts to do your swap. Some of the other guys are right. Rear sump truck pan helps. I had starter vs steering box problems. So you might want to be aware of that.

26. The Macarena Man

The Macarena Man

Who's worried about re-sale/values with a swap like this?
    Wade ..... wear a 'Ford' t-shirt when you're out there swatting the 'Bowtie Purists' ....... :D:p

Clay Belt likes this.
  27. That's a poor excuse, Scott!

:D

Sam

28. outlaw256

outlaw256

put it in there.we did this kinda of stuff on our 55s in the 70s.no big deal. i look at it like its a american car a american engine and a american v8. ive got fords with chevys and gonna have a chevy with big block ford. who cares. as long as it runs and its fast!!

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

As I suggested on your other thread, see if you can borrow a set of Hooker 440 a-body fenderwell headers for mock-up. My gut level hunch is they will probably work, depending on where you position the engine fore/aft. Where are you in BC?

30. vintagespeed

vintagespeed