Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Gasser Passer is back in Ohio !!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by careyohio, Jan 22, 2012.

1. PA-IndianRider

PA-IndianRider

Thanks for the picture of the "roof raising" head scratching.

This car has WAY TOO MUCH HISTORY to be left in its current state.

When "Ohio George" originally sold the Gasser Passer" words like "history" - "nostalgia" - "survivor" and so on where never used back then let alone thought of when referring to drag cars or hot rods. In those days it was commonplace and acceptable for hot rodders everywhere to chop, cut & change any car. Back then nothing was "sacred" or "untouchable"

The same was true with the huge amount of muscle cars Detroit pumped out like they were made using a rubber stamp or carbon paper.

If so NO car from "back in the day" that are so collectible today would have ever BEEN touched. New or old.

LS6 - Split windows - Yenko - Motion - W-30 - Shelby - Superbird and so on..... as well as the drag & custom cars that started it all.

I can't imagine it being OK to chop up or change a car owned by Bill Jenkins, Don Gartlis, etc or the Willys coupes of Stone, Woods & Cook, Big John Mazmanian, Barbara Hamilton, etc.... the same it true about ""Ohio George Montgomery's "Gasser Passer".

2. careyohio

careyohio

BARN FIND !!
    Rob has a friend that gave him a ( scrap ) roof section from an Anglia a few years ago, but we were thinking that it had been cut off way too high into the top to be of use. Well, we went up into the barn loft to check it out today.......and the photo shows what we found.....
    It was cut off down at the bottom near the cowl ! , so we will be able to use the front post on the GP.
    And we should also be able to use the rear window section to replace the 4 inch piece that was chopped out.
    Guess we should check out Robs parts stash more often...Who knows...might find another Willys !!

Attached Files:

3. DuckusCrapus

DuckusCrapus

Most excellent thread and car. You sure lucked out on the replacement roof section! Thanks for all the posts and pics about the Passer! Looking forward to all your updates.

DuckusCrapus

4. Wowcars

Wowcars

Great news on the roof section. Keep us posted!

5. '34 Terraplane

'34 Terraplane
    from Western PA

Cary (and Rob)
    .....not to worry about all of the stuff you didn't realize you had. Nice guy that I am, I'll come over and do an inventory of ALL your "goodies" !! While I'm doing the inventory I'll be carrying a BIG lunchbox and singing Johnny Cash's "I Got It One Piece At A Time !!
    Craig (Austin pick-up & red Terraplane)

6. careyohio

careyohio

I guess the old saying is " If you don't know you have it, then you want miss it when it's gone "

7. DuckusCrapus

DuckusCrapus

Any updates on this? Been checking alomst every day. Guess I am a little excited! Ha!

DC

8. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Hey duckus -- maybe they're trying to get their "ducks all in a row" hee hee

9. DuckusCrapus

DuckusCrapus

Ha! I can't get enough Anglia posts. I get all inspired to work on mine and then that pretty much burns off after I work on mine for about 15 minutes. LOL

DC

10. careyohio

careyohio

Will get back on it as soon as I finish the T ( see...)
    ( Re: Lakster or dirt track ??? ) I have been working on.
    Carey

11. LSDemon

LSDemon
    from Australia

Badass!!!!

12. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

You're making good progress Carey, considering how much time you spend in bars impersonating famous racers. :D

13. Unchopping it ??........good move !

14. violet springs

violet springs

That's pretty funny.

15. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

Would be even funnier had you been there. I guess Carey hasn't seen this yet. :)

16. careyohio

careyohio

Still trying to figure out who I am ..........HA !

17. PA-IndianRider

PA-IndianRider

Bob.... I am SURE you got pictures to PROVE it !!!! Ha !!! L o L :D

18. cakes

cakes

Any updates? I want to see this thing unchopped!!!

19. Dream-on

Dream-on

I just came across this thread a few days ago ( and glad I did ) and thought I would ad my two cents.

I was just a young lad ( 13 ) when that issue of Hotrod came out, ( still have it ) and as I remember, I was really stoked when I saw that car in the mag. Thought it was the coolest gasser yet. This is a really cool find, am glad it is in your hands, and that you are going to make a real effort in restoring it back to its glory days guise. In other words un chopping it.

Can't wait to see the continued progress, and once completed it should be featured in a mag once again. I'll bet the Rodders Journal would pick it up as a feature, as they did with many other historical drag cars, including the Jim Oddy 48' Austin in the number 56 issue of the RJ. Neat article.

One interesting item on the GP, from the original configuration, in that Hotrod article, that I noticed and have to wonder about. Why do you suppose George used a 48' Ford rear end, and how on earth did it hold up to drag strip action? I would think, since it was 1965, a more beefer Pontiac unit would have been used. Where the 48' Ford's that strong? Must have been, since it was a strong contender. Any thoughts guys?

20. careyohio

careyohio

One interesting item on the GP, from the original configuration, in that Hotrod article, that I noticed and have to wonder about. Why do you suppose George used a 48' Ford rear end, and how on earth did it hold up to drag strip action? I would think, since it was 1965, a more beefer Pontiac unit would have been used. Where the 48' Ford's that strong? Must have been, since it was a strong contender. Any thoughts guys?[/QUOTE]

The Ford rear ends held up O.K. until the tires and tracks got better...less tire spin, more traction and things started to come apart.
    Will get back on it as soon as we finish the Track T we are working on.
    Stay tuned.....

21. Another vote to unchop it and its a great find!

22. careyohio

careyohio

Found a REALLY nice guy ( Jim Neel ) in Canfield Ohio, ( about an hour away ) who has a Prefect that he is turning into a street rod and who was kind enough to let us come over so we could use it to make the window patterns from. Later on, he let us borrow all the doors so we could fit the top to them. ( Had to stop work on the " T " as we were working within a time frame and had to return the doors to Jim so he could take his Prefect into the body shop ).
    We made the patterns out of poster board, then used these to make patterns out of 3/8 inch plywood.
    The doors were installed ...then the plywood patterns fitted to line the top up. We then made filler pieces to replace the metal that had been removed to chop the top.
    As brass rod had been used to braze the top back together when it was chopped ( common back in the day ) we had little choice but to braze it all back together the same way, except for a few places that there wasn't any brass left to mess with ( ever tried to weld over brass ? NASTY )

SIDE NOTE ... The Anglia top didn't work out..after closer inspection we found out that there is a difference between the Prefect and Anglia windshield opening shapes, ( Refer back to post #249 ) , so we ended up custom making all the filler pieces by hand...no big deal...just took a little extra time.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  23. brandon

brandon

does the prefect have a windshield frame like the tims..?

24. careyohio

careyohio

Not sure.
    Top is back up and I am in process of leading it in.
    Having trouble uploading photos this morning.

25. careyohio

careyohio

More

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  26. Brandon;
    The early pictures of the front window shows NO frame work,just a rubber seal..My one Prefect does have chrome trim with a kick out front window,but other one doesn't.

Likely was all about weight reduction..

Rick

27. careyohio

careyohio

Having all kinds of trouble uploading photos....some upload and some don't.
    Going to try and upload what ever will go through to see if I can figure it out...

Attached Files:

28. got it! Looking good!

29. careyohio

careyohio

More photos.............................

Attached Files:

30. careyohio

careyohio

More photos...............

Attached Files: