Register now to get rid of these ads!

What seat do you have in your 55-59 Chevy trucks??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MeanYellowZ, Nov 3, 2009.

1. MeanYellowZ

MeanYellowZ

Hey guys...just looking for some ideas on a decent looking seat that doesn't look out of place, but will also be comfortable enough for the long haul. Some pics of what you guys have put in your 55-59 Chevy/ GMCs would be great.

Thanks in advance!

2. squirrel

squirrel

I'm running 55-59 chevy truck seats in mine. way more comfy than that 72 caddy seat I used to have in one of them....

Look for a 88-98 chevy pickup bench seat, they fit ok and since the backrest is so thin you don't lose valuable legroom.

3. pq55

pq55

Jim is right 88-98 chevy pickup seat fit right on with little fab to the center mount, it's what i have in mine ,a 40-60.I did try couple car bench seat but they didn't fit and look right.

Pat

4. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Mine came with a '70s car seat. It fits good, but the plastic parts and headrest look terrible. I'm going with a '60-'66 chevy truck seat. It looks more right and is easily available.

5. goon56

goon56
    from new jersey

i've driven 450 miles in my 56 chevy truck with a stock seat. compfy all the way

6. btmatt

btmatt

Squirrel/Goon Did you guys rebuild/recover your seats? I have an '57 seat but the spring structure is junk. Did you re-spring or cut foam to take its place?

7. MeanYellowZ

MeanYellowZ

I don't have the stock seat....it didn't come with it. I would like to put something in there that has good lumbar support, or that i can add some sort of lumbar too as my back doesn't work well with wore out old seats.

8. squirrel

squirrel

You can rebuild the seat springs, it helps if you have an extra seat to rob parts from, usually the driver side is shot and the rest is ok. I guess I'm lucky, I've got a few of these seats free over the years.

I can understand wanting newer seats, just keep in mind that anything high back or with a thick backrest will make you have to sit forward pretty far, which means your legs will be bent pretty far if you're at all tall....not very comfy

9. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

I couldn't use the stock bench, since I opted for a roll cage. So I went with buckets. I got a set out of a Scion. They are comfy as all get-go, and give me room for a center console.

(I still have the stock bench seat, in very good condition. If anyone wants it, I'll let it go cheap. PM me!)

[​IMG]

10. TomWar

TomWar

These seats are out of a 99 Cadillac Sedan DeVille. I am 6 ft and 210 Lbs, and they are comfortable but they are all the way back. No gas tank. That's in a 58 that I sold.

Attached Files:

bondolero and jeffd1988 like this.
  11. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

I had mine rebuilt by a friend,its stock and has givin me many a comfy mile!!I would put up a pic but those pics are on a different pc.

12. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I think the truck would be worth more with the stock seat...........If you do change,keep the old seat.....

13. MeanYellowZ

MeanYellowZ

Like I said I don't have a stock seat. The truck is heavily modified anyway and not super hamb-friendly....just looking for good ideas for junkyard seats.

14. btmatt

btmatt

["You can rebuild the seat springs, it helps if you have an extra seat to rob parts from, usually the driver side is shot and the rest is ok."

Thanks Squirrel, I will keep that in mind as I get closer to rebuild mine. I also agree that the stock seat provides the best legroom and seating position for above average height.

Matt

15. Can any of you guys post the dimensions of the stock seat? Height, width, depth, etc.? I have a '55 and it didn't come with a seat so I need to find either a stocker or something else that fits as well. Thanks in advance for the help!

16. squirrel

squirrel

this is what chevy says it looks like

Attached Files:

17. Cool. Thanks!

18. goon56

goon56
    from new jersey

hmm. well, there are some different factors here. i have the stock seat, but i also still have my gas tank behind me. u get alot more options and leg room if u dont have the gas tank in the cab. there are many many options out there. its all up to the builder. one thing i did do on my seat is put a 1.5 inch wood block under the front bench seat legs. my truck has a good rake to it, and it keeps my butt planted back in the seat better.

19. squirrel

squirrel

The tank doesn't really get in the way of the seat, if the backrest has the right angle. The tank is short and sits down low, and the rear of the cab angles forward at the top. look a the drawing

20. ECIGUY

ECIGUY

Local upholstery guy built a plywood bottom and used a block of foam to duplicate the original shape of the seat. Worked out great and it's comfortable. Looks like original also which is what I was after.

21. nikwho

nikwho

Does anyone know if a '98 suburban rear seat will fit well in a 55-59 cab? I have that or a 2007 Tahoe rear seat with integrated seat belts. Will either of these work well? I know that measuring and seeing for my self is best, but im not close to the truck or either of the seats at the moment and im trying to figure out if i should use the free '98 leather 3rd row seat or buy the 2007 cloth tahoe 3rd row seat with the integrated belts. Im not sure if the tahoe seats are wider than the burb seat. Thanks in advance if anyone can shed some light on this!!!
    Nik

22. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

I know, holy dead thread but I am wondering the exact same thing so why start a new thread. I have found two local options, 07 Tahoe 3rd row with integrated belts (belts go into the top discretely not the outboard highter mounted type). The other is a Suburban 2nd row for $40.

23. ...3rd seat from an Astro van works great.
    [​IMG]

24. txturbo

txturbo

I have a pair of bucket seats from an 89 Suburban I was going to use in mine...but I think I'm going to use an astro seat instead.

25. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

Tahoe second row seats. Seat brackets are an abortion but the seats are Caddy like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. 56Taskforceman

56Taskforceman

What year Tahoe are these second row seats out of? I found some like this and am wondering what the width and how they fit your truck?