Register now to get rid of these ads!

O.T. Carb question. Edelbrock vs. other

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lrs30, Jan 15, 2013.

1. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Looking for a inexpensive carb option for a 305 chev. Summit is offering a 600 cfm for 233.99 While the edelbrock is 314.99. I'm sure the quality of the edelbrock is higher quality. So has anybody ran a SUMMIT carb? Or am I pissing money away?

2. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

get a used carb for like 50-60$ and another 50 for the rebuild kit. edelbrocks are fairly straight forward.

3. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

I don't have the time at this point in my life to chase my tail trying to rebuild a carb that I don't know the condition of to begin with. I'm thinking a bolt on and run is in my future at this moment. Sometimes I would rather spend a little more to have piece of mind, knowing I'm starting with a fresh new item.

4. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

seems that 500 cfm is a bit much for a 305 unless you've improved breathing with differents heads and uprated cam. My 289/+.030/RVcam has a 390cfm Holley and that's just about right.

5. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

prop's right about the 600 being on the verge of too big but if you go with the edelbrock, they sell a calibration kit to lean it out. I use the edelbrock 600(1406) on my 350 with great results

6. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Let's for get size for a minute, and get back to the original question, quality between the 2 has anybody used a Summit carb with any success?

7. Fenders

Fenders

Disregarding size, Edelbrocks are supposed to be bolt on and go.
    I think you answered your own question.

8. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Thats what I hear also, but was curious if the summit is worth a try being its about a hundo less in price.

9. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Im pretty sure that summit doesnt have a factory knocking off edelbrock carbs. Weber is cast in the side anyways (last i checked). Summit just buys in bulk puts on their own sticker and sells them cheaper.

I just looked on their website and didnt see any that looked like the edelborck.

10. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

only takes me about half an hour to rebuild an edlebrock carb, including getting it off the motor... the extra money you spend is well worth it

11. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

The Summit carb is a revamped version of the Holley 4010/4011. Only real knock against it versus the Edelbrock/AFB is that the accelerator pump and power valve are bottom mounted and could leak eventually. It does have externally adjustable floats and viewing windows though. Both are supposed to be U.S. made.

12. My .02
    The chances of bolt and go will be slim with any carb.
    Carbking likes to say that your chances of winning an argument with the IRS is better than getting a carb out of the box to work well - or something like that.

The edelbrock only asks a few things. Feed it @ 5 psi fuel pressure and keep it clean. 90% chance the doorstop eddies for 50.00 didn't and that's their only problem.

90% of all carb problems are electrical in nature too BTW.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  13. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

I'm thinking it may be wise to pop the extra cash for the edelbrock. But I'm a sucker for a deal, that's why I am even thinking about the summit brand. Was curious if anybody has bought and use the summiT brand and what they thought about it.

14. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

A friend of mine has the Summit carb on a 350 in a '65 GMC Suburban, He likes it, and it seems to run just fine!
    OK? KK

15. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Thanks KK that's good to know.

16. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

I put a Summit 650cfm on this 350, runs great. it replaced an old Edelbrock.

[​IMG]

17. flthead

flthead
    BANNED
    from Midwest

Have you tried the local parts stores for a rebuilt quadrajet? I know they arent flying off the shelves these days. Im sure you could get one really reasonable.

18. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

19. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Thanks guys. I'm gone call my counter man in the a.m. And see what he has to offer. Sometimes he cuts me a deal.

20. 2 new Edelbrocks I bought had the floats set too low, the car would die when you cornered hard. Other than that, no problem. I totally agree about carbs being blamed for ignition problems.

21. 117harv

117harv

I had an Edelbrock on my Ford dually with a 460, put it on right out of the box. All I did was change the filter a couple times, never gave me a single problem, for 740,000 miles, that in not a typo.

22. ive never used a summit carb , but i love edelbrocks i have 3 500 cfms they give me zero problems i have 1 on a 302 one ona 350 chevy and one on a 360 fe ford

all straight out of the box manual chokes

and by the way I HATE HOLLEYS never had agood one

23. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go with an Edelbrock. A 1406 is tuned for economy and will operate fine on a 305. I second the notion to find a local carb on CL or a swap meet and go thru it. If you don't want to, buy a new one, set it and forget it.

24. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Thanks guys.

25. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

A carb. that is too large will tend to run lean due to less flow through too large a venturi.

26. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

My opinion is that Edelbrocks are a lot easier to deal with than Holleys in almost every respect, but it boils down to personal preference in the end.

A 600 cfm Edelbrock will work fine on that 305 and is pretty much a bolt on and go proposition. I am running two 600's on the 331 in my 27 and ran two of the same carbs on the previous 302 in the same car for years, with no bog or any other driving issues. I can chug along at 1000 rpms in high gear then step on the gas and it smoothly pulls away. My plugs all burn a nice very light tan color, even whitish.

The very best deal on buying them that I know of is All American Carburetor here in Florida. They sell refurbished 1405 Edelbrocks (manual choke) for $200 each and 1406 (electric choke) for $225.00 each. You literally can't tell them from brand new, the finish is perfect and they have been completely gone through. It isn't like they are used at all as there isn't a mark on them.

Their warranty is also better than Ededlbrock who gives only 90 days. All American has a lifetime warranty as long as the problem isn't trash in the carb or gummed up. We buy them two at a time every time we are at Turkey Run and have run them on a bunch of cars, even my daily drivers, with zero problems. I am running them on my 27 right now, and probably bought my first ones from them over 20 years ago. They also rebuilt the tripower carbs on my Son's 455 Olds and they came back looking like brand new.

Just thought I would pass that along in case someone wants to save some money and get a great carb.

http://www.allamericancarburetor.com/

Don

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  27. Moneymaker

Moneymaker

good plan

28. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I would stay away from a part store rebuild thay are mostly junk IMO. I would pick the edelbrock for eaze of parts availability. I would pick one calibrated for mileage my experience out of the box always seem to be a little on the rich side and have to work on them so then you will need springs,metering rods,jets and a top gasket.
    Now if you go with a holley you only need jets and gaskets maybe a power valve.

29. oj

oj

I rebuild and sell carbs in my shop, mostly race stuff but more and more hotroddy carbs. I have a whole pegboard wall full of parts for holley - it is 16' long by 8' high, from umbrella seals to rows of power valves to replacement bowl screws - it is all there because customers need it. There is a small edelbrock section that might be 2' X 3' and it has a few metering rods, the odd jet and some rebuld stuff.
    So, if you think reliability is most important then the answer would be an edelbrock, if you have a hotrod or racecar where power is more important then the holley doublepumper is the ticket - any holley with a vacuum pot hanging off the side was designed for early dumptrucks and even them quit using them as soon as possible.
    I wasn't aware that summet made carbs, better let them make them for 10 or 12years to sort the bugs out and then you could onsider one.