Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy 350 torque converter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Honlude, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Honlude

Honlude
    from York pa

I have a Chevy 350 with a 700r4 trans , basically all stock with a small b&m supercharger , I'm getting the lunge fwd when putting in gear due to the low stall rate of the stock converter , my question has anyone else here ran a similar setup or know what size stall converter I should go with ?

2. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

What is your idle speed set at???

3. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

are you certain it's not the t.v.cable adjustment?

4. Honlude

Honlude
    from York pa

Idle speed seems normal , not sure what to adjust .

5. flthead

flthead
    BANNED
    from Midwest

The size of your cam will dictate the needed stall speed. Contacting the cam manufacturer will get you the correct answer. Unless more info is given, people are going to guess and their answers will be base less ramblings.

6. Honlude

Honlude
    from York pa

Engine , can etc are all stock , only things on motor changed is the B&m supercharger , 750 carb with elec choke , vac seconds . All else is still stock

7. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

What is it in and how much does it weigh? Do you know the idle speed or are you guessing?

Stock converter shouldn't be too far off unless the car is real light or the idle speed is too high.

Do you know what the torque converter was out of? Contrary to popular belief all stock converters are not the same.

8. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Assuming you've already set air/fuel and got the idle speed as low as possible already? Do you have a tachometer on the car?

9. flthead

flthead
    BANNED
    from Midwest

Time to wire up a tach and monitor the RPM and report back.

10. txturbo

txturbo

Sounds like a bad convertor or you have a quite a bit of slack in the the drivetrain. Stall speed doesn't have anything to do with that. Does it keep trying to go even with the brakes on?

11. Honlude

Honlude
    from York pa

That's for all the replys , I appreciate all the input . What I got us I bought someone else's project to redo and finish . Its a 46 dodge with 350 / 700r4 gm rear , ford front axle etc , chopped etc
    I'll do some checking with adjustments on cable and also get tach hooked up . I wanna pull motor out soon to clean up and replace valve covers and paint , plus I gotta do some welding on fire wall
    Here's some pics , the first is when I first got it , I replaced grill with a 31 ford , widened bed , a lot of changes to come with it
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]