Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ridding Rust without damaging exsisting paint?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54LedSled, Jan 16, 2013.

1. 54LedSled

54LedSled

Is there a product I can use to rid or stop rust that won't affect/peel my paint job around the rust area?? :)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  2. Nothing that I am aware of,,just fix the rust. HRP

3. 28TUDOR

28TUDOR

You could dab on some of that rust converter but that would just be patching the problem.

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

Try a CLR bath!

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Are we talking about rust out or just rust stains? CLR can do wonders to remove rust stains from old cars and still retain the original paint. A search can probably pull up some amazing pictures. If that is what you are talking about.

6. tbird37821

tbird37821

rustmort sem # 69504 rust converter

7. How about a pic of the "rusted " area? I have used Rustaide on small spots that did not hurt the paint.

8. desotot

desotot

There is a product called Evaporust.

9. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

FYI - Scotchbrite and water do the same thing as Scotchbrite and CLR - without the fumes.

;)

10. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

If the area around "good" paint is surface rusted, most likely, the metal UNDER the paint is also being rusted. Paint that old is porous and you don't see the rust under the paint, til the paint falls off!

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Try some Ospho that you can pick up at the hardware store. I used it on the 46 Ford tudor I had to remove surface rust and it has been rustfree now for the past 3 or 4 years. I just used a scotchbrite pad and scrubbed the rusted areas, and then used a clean cloth to wipe it dry. As long as you don't touch those areas they will stay pretty clean, and it doesn't hurt the surrounding painted areas.

Don

12. 54LedSled

54LedSled

Great Info guys, I think I will start with some CLR and see where it takes me...

13. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Bought a gallon for about 25 clams at the local Ace hardware. Going to use it to treat the sheet metal on the COE after I remove as much rust as possible first (wire wheel, strip disc etc). Thread on Ospho here.

Again there will be fumes like CLR - wear lung, eye and skin protection.

I did just use it on the rusty rear brake drums just for a test on the COE. Getting 5 spoke wheels so the drums will show. Just used a wire wheel on a fast air-drill-motor quick to get in between the cooling fins.

Ospho treated it overnight - a little goes a long way, then sprayed 4 or 5 coats of mat black 500 degree engine paint spray bomb. For something I didn't care that much about, really looks good. We will see how it holds up on brake drums. I used the Dupli-kote brand I had on hand, but there are others that might be a better choice like Rust-Oleum.

[​IMG]

:cool:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  14. Ed Wrath

Ed Wrath

Check out the threads on here for Oxalic Acid....It works!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  15. Muttley

Muttley

Yes it does. ;)