Register now to get rid of these ads!

What was your first speed equipment part?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 30FordNerd, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Kustom.Falcon

Kustom.Falcon

2. Koz

Koz

Damn right! That was almost 50 years ago. I might have had the flatty running right by now.

3. Ha Ha!

My first speed part was for my '65 GTO.....

[​IMG]

Yeah I know, but when you're young and foolish, the sound made it feel more powerful.

4. Pscott

Pscott

A Cal Custom steering wheel, white rim with the 3-hole chrome spokes. This went into a 64 Chevelle, no power steering, what seemed like 8 turns lock-to-lock, like to broke my thumbs many times...ah, the carefree days of youth! :rolleyes:

5. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

four rebuilt 97's Cost $5.50 each and a manifold from Honest Charleys for my 303 Olds Year was 1955

6. silent rick

silent rick

huffy, cheater slick model.

handful of stp stickers from the parts store counter. they made every thing faster.

7. My first flatty was in a '54 merc. I don't know that it ever ran right, Offy heads 2x4 offy. My next flatty was the summer the missus and I first started dating. 46 Ford pickup, I know it never ran right while I owned it but it was fun to take to the swimming hole.

Today I wish I had both of those cars, for different reasons but I had a lot of fun in both of them for sure.

8. Okay, if you're gonna go there...........

My first speed parts were slicks on my models and stickier tires on my slot cars. :D

9. rlsteel

rlsteel

4 chrome reverse wheels for my black 2 door hardtop 55 chevy.RLS

10. monc440

monc440

My pops gave me a red ram 270 when I was 14 for my first rebuild. I ordered an offy 2 2's intake out of Hemmings, I remember the guy shipped it COD and waited on the back porch for 3 days because I didn't want to miss the postman.

The engine was started maybe 6 times then sat for years, got fire and water damaged now I'm rebuilding it again for the coupe

The same engine is in my avitare now 26 years later but the 2 2's intake was stolen form my dads shop about 10 years ago.

11. MistGreen50

MistGreen50
    from Belen,NM

Hollywood Deep Tone split manifold(which really isn't split since there isn't a block inside) for my 235 in my 53 but didn't work since my 53 had side motor mounts.I bought and sold it for $75 not knowing how damn rare they are.I have replaced it since and is in my collection of stovebolt speed parts.This was at 15 years old.

12. 63401nailhead

63401nailhead
    from DE

An Edelbrock intake and 500 CFM Edelbrock carb for my 63 1/2 Galaxie, back in '99 I believe. It only had a 289, but it still felt good putting them on.

13. silent rick

silent rick

what do you want? i was only 6

14. A pair of Cherry Bomb Qs and dual exhaust. Quickly followed by a Holley carb.

15. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

Cal Custom chrome dip stick handel and distributor recurve springs and weights for my 69 Dodge! That handel was worth about 20 horse!!....

16. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

I thought Ford went OHV in '54 :confused::confused:

17. Early '54 merc was flatty, at least mine was and it was not a swapped in flatty.

It looked like this only it was midnight blue, the registration said it was a '54 I guess it could have been a different year than that but I always thought it was a '54.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  18. The year was 1963 making a buck thirty two an hour at the gas station, I would take my '40 Olds within days of ownership for a $5 upgrade at the local muffler shop to have a single cutout welded into place.

19. 64falconsix

64falconsix
    from Daphne Al.

Headman headers for a smallblock ford I had , picked them up used.

20. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Dumb-ass teenager in fall, 1965. 265 3-speed in a '56 2-door post. At the big Houston Autorama, I remember standing there for fifteen minutes listening to the guy talking-up that "sparkulator" thingie that plugged-into the center of the distributor cap that would double gas mileage, triple horsepower and cut E.T. by five seconds or more. Supposedly increased spark to at least 80 million volts or so. 'Course, I had to have one. Assuredly, the dumbest $4 I ever wasted. DD

21. a set of used thrush side pipes and the electronic rotor cap to go in my chevy truck, probably was standing next to dd coopman listning to the guy tell me I could cut 5 seconds off my time

22. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

SCARY ! Sounds exactly like me. My Huffy with cheater slick was Candy red.

23. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Same here except was working in a restaurant instead of a Gulf station. RAC sucked with the bulky black cup.The Sun was the real deal !

24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

A chrome aircleaner for a '73 Pontiac LeMans. My first ride. No pics of it.

25. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

No Dork about it.Thats how every speed part gets made before it is mass produced.

26. My first bit of speed equipment was a two carb manifold and carbs, Crager I think, for my Model A four banger, back around 1962 or '63. I think it came from another teenager, but my memory of details is lacking. It was amazingly fast, but I never got the idle controlled enough to keep it on as a driver. Before then I had bought an exchange dropped front axle (Moredrop(?)) from Vic Hubbard, but that is not exactly speed equipment in my mind.

27. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

Edelbrock Torker intake and a Holley 780 carb for my 69 GTO. I then borrowed a velocity stack and took the hood off and drove around like I had really done something. in 1978 it was cool to drive around with your hinges sticking up and no hood... at least we thought so at the time.

28. I had just turned 16 and had my first car..a 50 ford and my dad and I built a 53 Merc 255 flathead for it. My buddy, Jim had just sold his 50 and kept the offy 4 barrel intake and Rochester 4 barrel carb from a 55 buick. It ran great on his car so I bought it from him for the princely sum of 15 bucks. I was soooooooo excited I had to take a photo of it. This was the summer of 1964.
    My dad worked with a guy who gave up a pair of tube headers for my project but I didn't get a photo of them.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  29. BRODIX 2X HEADS
    for my bbc in highschool
    tk

30. My first car was a 1951 Ford 2 door that I bought from my brother in 1966. My first speed equipment part was a Fenton two deuce manifold for the flathead V-8. I then put dual exhaust with glass packs on it that I bought from Bill Corbett's Speed Shop in Sioux Falls.