Register now to get rid of these ads!

What would you pay for this 1958 Chevey Apache

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TheDayDreamer, Jan 12, 2013.

1. repairmanrod

repairmanrod
    from colorado

I agree with Bob. My truck was a virgin and an ugly one at that. I think you should drive the couple of hours and take a good look for yourself.

Attached Files:

2. Curly5759

Curly5759
    from Aridzona

Since you live in AZ, you have a lot better choices than that. I'm also in AZ, own a 59 Shortbox. I bought it here, it has some rust, but nothing like that.
    The interior shot shows the firewall has been modified, as well as the steering column and god knows what else. I had to deal with a lot of backyard workmanship on my truck, took a couple of years to sort it all out. (No bolts in the center of the spring packs, just large nails.:confused: Idiot)

I was living in Yuma when I decided I wanted one. Limited choices there, so I went to Phx a lot looking. It took 2 years and lots of trips to Phx before I found mine... in Yuma.:D

Save yourself the grief, keep looking.

3. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

I just sold a long bed 58 with a 235 4sp big window for $4250. The body was straight, had tons of patina, rust in the cab corners, fender corners and door bottoms. Windshield and headlight brows were great. I painted the grille , bumpers, wheels and complete inside of cab. Reupholstered the seat and headliner. Painted the engine ,tossed on some buffed white walls, changed all the fluids, dash all worked, installed a line xed plywood bed and tossed it on flebay. It lasted 2 hours and buyer used the buy it now feature. Here's a pic of what $4250 got him.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. GREASER815

GREASER815

I would pay whatever I thought was the right amount after I looked over the truck and talked to the owner. How can we tell you what to pay based on 8 pictures. Go look at it, look at what you have to spend, and make up your mind.

5. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

No more than $1500

6. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

gotta see it first to be sure. the gas money to go look at it is alot less then what ever you would pay for the truck (1650 is what i would pay max) if its a rust bucket.

7. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

Shorr wides are a rare find in this area. THE rust looks repairable, and if The aftermarket stuff was done right, your ahead of The game for a nice driver. 4k sounds reasonable in my book if its not a total rust bucket hack job. Look it over good

8. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I don't see a heater in there either.

9. Bob I want to change my to $1200 please...
    Honestly talk him down to 1200 but no more than 1500 in my opinion

10. chaddilac

chaddilac

So True!!! Check the upper windshield area near the rearview mirror... they rust out bad there and they door bottoms will be rusted too since the cab corners are bad!!

Expect to buy about $1000 of patch panels to go with that truck seriously!!!

11. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

I'm with the $1,500 crowd. The owner sounds like a windbag. Nothing rare here, and nothing recent. You really should be able to find something more solid. That thing is plenty rusty for Arizona.

12. BobG

BobG

I'd love to buy one that decent for $1500.00 but a short wide 58 Apache with a v8 for $1500???????
    If anyone has one that's close to that condition for that kind of price PM me, I'm a buyer.
    Honestly I doubt too many of them exist for that price.
    Like I said before, them trucks are long gone in the Midwest... if you can find one around here it's either a high buck truck from a dry state or so rusted out it's not worth fixing.

Man, If you still like the truck try to deal with the guy before someone comes along and buys it out from under you.

13. TheDayDreamer

TheDayDreamer
    from Phoenix

Man, I am shocked at so many of you saying only $1500. It's a big window fleet-side for gosh sakes, not exactly a dime a dozen. The fresh 350, new auto trans and new exhaust are worth more than that alone. And yes it has a clean title. I think I can get it for $4000-4200.

Here are some pics of the undercarriage that I got today. Cant tell if some is rust or just road grime flaking off....

Attached Files:

14. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

Receipts for the fresh 350 and trans? Or did the seller make it fresh? The underside of it looks a lot better then I thought it would. A truck like that would bring about 3-4 thousand around here.

15. mike23impala

mike23impala

these trucks wre all 6 or 8 lug wheels... looks like 5 on there to me... so most likely clipped... look at the job done there closly, ive seen somescary stuff people call road worthy...

16. TheDayDreamer

TheDayDreamer
    from Phoenix

Yeah, I thought the frame looked really good. I pretty sure the flaky stuff is just road grime.

17. mike23impala

mike23impala

ipaid 800 just for rolling body and frame from texas 10 yearsago 1959 long step side... its my current build... id pay anything a i love these trucks but quick heads up to bid low... fenders new 700 doors new 600 parts are al available new build a whole truck with new parts but BIG $$$ stock replacement gauges 600-900$

18. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

agree but im one of the spoiled ones in california so id like to drag that baby home around the $1200 ballpark

19. Looks comparable to the one I picked up. I paid $3000 and wouldn't pay too much more than that for that one. You seem to think that the big back window is a rare/desirable option. You probably learned that the same time you found out about the rare powerwindow/powersteering OEM package this truck has. If he deceived you with the powerwindows/powersteering he's probably disingenuous about other things about the truck

20. Gator

Gator

Then go buy it already, for gosh sakes.

You asked for member's OPINIONS, called them bitter, then argued that their opinions were invalid.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  21. TheDayDreamer

TheDayDreamer
    from Phoenix

No, I didn't learn about the big window being rare from the seller. Actually what I said was big window fleet-sides aren't a dime a dozen. I had never heard of these trucks having the power window/steering option so I asked. The seller is young and not very mechanically inclined therefore doesn't know alot about the truck and believes everything other people tell him.

22. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

It's more than a $1500 truck given it's a running, big window cab. It's got more rust than my '55 big window that has a strong running 283/350 with 5 lugs a corner and I paid $4500 for it.

Look for rust in the headlight "brows" and under the cab leading edge. See if the gutter sealant has cracked? If so, expect rust around the roofline. I notice the firewall is hacked so expect the same person did some other shady work elsewhere.

Oh and PS everyone is right, these trucks never came with power steering. The seller doesn't know much about what he's selling OR he's blowing smoke. Be wary.

23. TheDayDreamer

TheDayDreamer
    from Phoenix

Thanks for that feedback. I will defiantly check those areas closely. The seller doesn't know much, when I asked him if it was clipped or solid axle he didn't have a clue.

24. Ruff 1

Ruff 1

2500 is good their a lot of work to do and lots of coin to make it right , I'd rather spend more get a rust free . Good luck !!

25. BJR

BJR

Firewall looks like it's been modified.

26. 58 wagon

58 wagon
    from tucson,az

Here's a 55 shortbed on the Tucson cl for 900 bucks obviously not a fleetside,big window but you can always find the parts to make it one if you desire. The owner claims it has a good cab,needs a fender,motor,trans and misc but look at the dash its not hacked or has a junk column,the body looks decent and he has already started cleaning up the frame,front-end if I didn't have so many projects I'd pick this up in a heartbeat.you would be money ahead buying something like this and building it your way than buying a rust bucket and having to tear it down and fix replace past owners mistakes these trucks are out there just be patient and shop around don't buy the first thing you find

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

27. TheDayDreamer

TheDayDreamer
    from Phoenix

58 Wagon, your right, I need to keep looking. Thanks for the info!

28. oldolds

oldolds

Feb Hemming's magazine has a feature article on these trucks. Shows info about them as well as where to get parts. I looked for it on line to post a link. Must be too new yet.