Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Second Coming...

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Once again...

Thanks Ryan!

2. KUSTOMM

KUSTOMM

I have a Kustomm car with the engine in the back,it's not so bad.

3. choprodinc

choprodinc

No hate mail here Ryan, I'm glad that you guys came out of the closet :) ... Craftsmanship no matter what the package is something to be admired and appreciated. The vision it takes to concieve the lines of an early Porsche, Alpha Romeo, Delahay to name a few; is God given!

4. jroberts

jroberts

Hey Ryan -- What's to hate? I love the whole deal you have started here. In my younger days I was into sports cars in a pretty big way. Auto crossed a Sprite, played with an Elva Courier for a while. Played nursemaid to a TR-3 for a bit. A couple of friends had 356's. One was a Super 90 that we loved to cruise around town in with its straight stinger pipe sticking out back. It sounded great and handled even greater. Thanks for a good time reading this this morning. I appreciate it.

5. 55chevy

55chevy

I had a Kharmann Ghia in college, always liked the body style, I was browsing a Facebook group about the small town of Kendallville IN where I went to high school, someone posted a picture of the Blizzard of '78, holy crap, there's my car! Remember .58 cent gas?

Another beetle custom.

Attached Files:

6. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

7. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Hey Rod!
    I haven't gotten too much farther than those "playing card" days!
    Well I've done a handful of cars so no complaints.
    Good to see you are keeping at it!

Here's one my kid snapped a pic of while we were driving.
    Cool right hand drive even.
    [​IMG]
    I'm gonna blame this style on your dad!

TP

8. Having just finishing a long career of working on those things , I have to agree Ryan. the passion is still there, for the 356s anyway. Although the later turbo models are still fun to abuse. My 29 RPU still turns more heads (and some stomachs)

9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My business was a BMW/Porsche specialty shop. But my '27 Highboy roadster was on the build table, then on wheels. Customers asked, "What's that old relic over there?"

I told a few of them it was what their $$$ervices were funding. I kept the two interests separate, but had hot rods, VWs, Porsches, and BMWs all under the same roof.

Too many narrow minded street rodders had too much to say about the mixed interests, and more than a few saw the taillights of my VW in 'Heads-Up' sorties.
    VW ran a 356 that was 2-litre, 11.5:1, Damon Elgin cam, much headwork, 44 mm. Webers. Low 12s at Fremont drags. (1970s)

I still have a '66 VW bug...among all the hot rods...

10. Karrera

Karrera

Actually Dean Jeffries painted the racing numbers and the "Little Bastard" script on James Dean's Porsche 550 Spyder. It was done in George Barris' shop which is why George has claimed responsibility but Dean did the painting.

[​IMG]

11. belair

belair

So Porsche stole the '39 Ford tail light, huh? :)
    Beautiful cars, Skywolf and Scooter

12. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

13. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's the same club I belong to! Go Fast first, handle well 2nd, looking cool is icing on the cake.

14. That ones a sweetheart!

15. One of my favorite outlaw 356:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Rod Emory

Rod Emory

The Car is currently at Carl Morton's here in Oregon. Car worked at Valley Custom Shop in the 60's and worked on it in the day.

Here is a shot of it late 1948 in front of the shop.

Attached Files:

17. Rod Emory

Rod Emory

Thanks Bro... Nothin wrong with the "Playing Card" Days.

Here is a couple shots I took of you guys in Ventura when my dad Gary was trying to steal your ride. Also a couple shots of another little HotRod 356 I did about 10 years ago. Cowl vent and all.

Attached Files:

18. Great! I'd like to see that done. Neat car.

19. Airhead Roadster

Airhead Roadster

Since you're talking Outlaw Porsches, I thought this video appropriate. Strangely enough, after watching it I immediately searched CL for projects in my area... of course, this thread made me to do the very same thing. Good stuff. Thanks.

http://www.reelhouse.org/mos/urbanoutlaw/urbanoutlaw

20. I don't have time to read this post or look at pics as I'm late... but I like it! I want to build a chopped Porsche soon...

21. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Magnus is a ruler! Such a nice guy and funny as hell. Had an opportunity to hang with him a few times in LA for various Porsche events and general tom-foolery. Being trapped with a guy in a tiny helicopter, with no rear doors, over LA is bound to bring some entertainment! :D

[​IMG]

Magnus is well on his way to being a legend, I think sort of by accident, but he's definitely someone who GETS the traditions associated with era-correctness and hot rodding... Just a different canvas, if you will.

I'll leave it at that, as this could quickly go on a tangent about 911's, which might be off-point here.

22. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I've had 2 early 911's myself, a '69T and a '75S that I picked up cheap with a blown motor and put an '89 3.2L in. Once had that car pulling hard going up a very steep grade doing 135 in 4th with 5th still left, but decided best not to go there. Both 2 of the best cars I've ever owned. I'd have another if I could and I'd buy a brand new one if I could as well. Porsche guys aren't 't afraid to customize them either.

I still like my old Studebaker trucks for a different reason. I don't feel the need to limit myself and don't care what others might think about it. I also drive a Japanese daily driver and my wife has a Prius. And honestly I don't give a damn about what others think about that either. I also like to ride bicycles.

23. Landmule

Landmule
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm getting to this thread late. I'm coming out as a closet Porsche guy too. This thread is making my day - wow!

24. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

Finding out about the Emory lineage is great and many 356 guys are real "doers" who worked their way up from VWs or MGs or whatever.
    Replacing a floorpan and front suspension pans are expected items on any Porsche project car and rebuilding a Zenith 32NDIX is not all that different from a Stromberg 97 so most HAMB folks could jump right in.

Wish I had kept my 356 (roadster) but the cost of parts and availability of project cars has become unreal. I once drove 1400 miles once for a front clip and sold another to guy who drove a similar distance. Unfortunately, I sold about 7 years too early before the prices skyrocketed. I do have a friend with a project coupe perfect for an Outlaw car if anyone is interested - but it ain't cheap. The 356Registry has a web site if interested in discussions and forums.

25. amish451

amish451
    from Indiana

Thanks for the post, cool cars are cool cars no matter where the engine might be.

26. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Dang Rod I'm so stoked someone had a real camera!
    Hope you don't mind me ripping off those pictures.
    Amazed that you remembered so long ago!
    Was so unexpected to meet you guys,
    really cool.

So do you have any pics of this old 40 Ford project?
    I've got a thing for 40's,
    doing 2 now,
    a sectioned/chopped one and a 70's street rod.
    Would love to see an original custom especially unfinished.

Talk to ya later!
    TP (Travis)

Here's some cellphone pics of a score someone found local to me.
    This thing was in a house that recently had an estate sale.
    The owner either died or was sent to a rest home,
    and the kids looked like they were cashing out.
    Guy was probably an officer in the Navy or a doctor or something,
    that's the type of older people that live in the area.
    [​IMG]
    The day before I noticed them rolling it out the garage.
    Had all the bumps and bruises of an original owner that loved to drive in So Cal.
    By chance the next day I saw it on the loader.
    [​IMG]
    It hurts to wonder what it went for.
    Hopefully didn't go to a flipper!

TP

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  27. Emory's team is top notch on the 356's, Magnus does some amazing work on the 911's.
    My first race car was a '57 356 and I have loved them ever since:

<a href="http://s142.beta.photobucket.com/user/linfesty/media/356.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  28. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

I agree, just hope Ryan will cut us peons some slack on oddball stuff that some of us like. :D

29. sololobo

sololobo

Cool!! ~sololobo~

30. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That sectioned Shoebox is just perfect. I'm not really a big Porsche fan but those are beautiful examples.