Register now to get rid of these ads!

channeled model a roadster, chop or not?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod-kenny, Jan 11, 2013.

1. hotrod-kenny

hotrod-kenny

Hi guys! I am building a channeled 1930 model a roadster. I am going for a mid fifties east coast look. The question is 2" chop or no chop???? It will have a top.

anyone have pics of a channeled 30-31 with top and chopped/original windshield?

I have seen lots of pics on other threads, but having a hard time figuring out if they are chopped and how much........

Thanks!

2. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

I like the stock one chopped 4" and slighly leaned back, but be carefull or you lose the cowl seal. Hallock & Duvall windshields look good too. I think in one of Vern's book there is a good article on getting the stanchions just right. A lot has to do with how tall you are.

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Sit in it first and then measure accodingly. I saw a guy at "Burnout" and his chop looked cool, but his driving position was bad. He was hunched over and trying to peer between the steering wheel and the dash. Sorta comical. The headrest on his seat was useless.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. Around this part of the East Coast channeling was popular but the windshields stayed stock. HRP

5. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

And can be hard on the knees & back:(

6. bgaro

bgaro

heavy channel,no chop, if u want east coast.

7. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

My 31 has a 4'' chop no channel job and if your first at a stop light its tough to see the light

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The price of COOL.;)

9. Done it and it looks cool... but the new owners eyes lined up with the top bar of the windshield!!!

He un-chopped it back to the deluxe height... added a top and it looks more East coast style now!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  10. hotrod-kenny

hotrod-kenny

Thanks guys! i will go with stock height on the windshield then. I am not shure if my body is standard or deluxe. are the posts/windshields interchangeable?

this pic is my inspiration.

Attached Files:

• kkl.jpg
      kkl.jpg
      File size:
      52.2 KB
      Views:
  11. standard roadster body had two screws holding the door hinges on, deluxe had three. the windshield posts are interchangeable.

12. hotrod-kenny

hotrod-kenny

Thanks!

will a 28-29 top fit a 30?

anyone have more pics of channeled east coast roadsters with stock windshield/top, please share!

13. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

OK, this is not an A, but you could channel and chop like this. It is channeled just to cover the A frame and the windshield is short 4" and the important part is no top bar on the windshield unless the top is on! have a great day Gary:D

Attached Files:

14. -Brent-

-Brent-

Chop it. You don't need to whack it in half but lowering it 2" looks great, in my opinion.

15. upspirate

upspirate

Channel it and chop it ( I prefer the height of the frame and 2" chop)....if you don't like it,it's easy to swap a stock height windshield and posts

16. triumph 1

triumph 1

I vote for chopping it!:cool:

18. chopo

chopo

east coast = no chop all channel

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  19. knoxbrendon

knoxbrendon

I say 2" wouldn't hurt

20. That's what she said?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

21. hotrod-kenny

hotrod-kenny

thanks for all the input guys! here's a pic of the roadster how it looked when i got it. everything is mocked up in the pic, so there is a lot of work to do.....but a good project.

Attached Files:

22. I wish Mine started out that good!

Main thing when you build a channeled car is that it has the proper stance and look.

I've seen some awesome channelled cars however when I see the driver hanging out over the car... it looks goofy!

Coupes are for "Chickens"... Roadsters are for racing... and the girls have big smiles on their faces when they go toppless!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  23. I would say no chop. Cars did get shoped on the east coast but the recognized east coast style is channel and no chop.

Oh I somehow missed the "roadster" part of the question. I don't think I have seen many pics of east coast roadsters. I think they had fenders, somewhere in my memory a lot of the eastern states had fender laws, motor cycle fenders would be the real deal on a hot rod.

24. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Mine is chopped 4" and channeled 4". Red lights are a challenge, but hey.... Nobody said this shit was gonna be easy. ;)

Attached Files:

25. Put your top down. :D:D:D

26. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Ok. :D

Attached Files:

27. Well now your hairs is gonna get messed up, its catch 22 i guess. :D:D

Love that roadster, but it is Ooltewah style. That is not a bad thing, I would drive an Ooltewah style roadster in a New York Minute (keeping it thread appropriate ;)) and I don't even like roadsters. ;););)

28. Actually one of the fellas that used to scream that the loudest owned one of the world's sweetest model 40 coupes. :D

I just said that to get this back on top, it is a topic that deserves discussion way beyond my "expert" opinion. :eek: ;)

OH kenny,
    I don't think that I mentioned how much I like your roadster either. I am not sure that I would do much to it other than clean up a couple of minor thing that are not my personal taste and drive it like I stole it.

29. Mo rust

Mo rust

I had read somewhere that the three bolt hinges on open cars in 30 and 31 was only on the Deluxe Phaeton from August 1930 forward and not roadsters. I have a 30/31 roadster with two bolt hinges and I'd be interested to know which case is true.

30. i can't verify the info, but at the restoration shop, i started my career at, we restored/hot rodded mostly model As. we always used that as an indicator. go to the ford barn there will be someone there who will know.
    we always affectionately called, guys who knew every month/screw/color/etc. detail, a model A-hole.:eek::D