Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Bob's Big Boy Broiler Opens In Downey!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cyclone Kevin, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Attached Files:

2. LittleBritishCar

LittleBritishCar
    from Napa, CA

I literally grew up eating at Harvey's so it was a thrill to visit the Bob's Big Boy Broiler when I was in Southern California last November. My parents and I would meet my grandparents there a few times a week and we knew every person who worked there from the watresses to the cooks and bellboys. By the time the name changed to Johnie's I had graduated from the high chair to a booster seat. My grandpa jokingly told me that the giant Johnie boy sign on the building was me and I bragged to everybody so my family started calling the restaurant Richie's. I can remember the first time I got to sit in a booth without a booster seat and also how proud my parents were the first time I ate pancakes by myself without spilling my milk or getting syrup all over everything. I also remember bringing my son there when he was a baby, 27 years ago.

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Great story Richie

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

No worries folk's, your ride won't get Stomped On :eek::p;):D

5. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Cruise nite Weds, may be a bit chilly,but since you'll be driving a Hot Rod or a Kustom all you'll need is a kool klub jacket ;). Hope to see y'all there!

6. Cool story.....born and raised in Downey from 1963-1988....went to school with John (Zander). I get to The Broiler once in a great while....I think I'll have to go soon.

7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Thanks Deathbound. Perfect segway also for what I'm about to say. Next weekend Jan. 25-27 is the GNRS in Pomona @ the Fair Grounds. Last year the Broiler had a great arrival of cars from out of town in route to the GNRS. So come out next Wednesday Jan. 23, 2013 and see who rolls in this year and with what on they way to Pomona.

8. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Again another Segway, We also are going to be having a booth again this year at the GNRS. So if you don't catch us at The Broiler, come see us at the booth. Johnie Gee, Adriene & I should be working it ;).

9. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Stop by and see us at the GNRS in bldg 7. We are HAMB friendly ;).

10. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

We had a great night of visitors from Sweden, Denmark & Norway as well as others.
    Thanx for stopping in, we appreciate you guys coming out to support the broiler.

11. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Hey guys, if you get a chance, stop on in the broiler tonite. Our buddy Palle who owns the Jack Stewart 41 Ford Kustom that the Ayala Bros and Barris Bros both laid their hands on will be chowing down along with our HAMB bro Rik Hoving who keeps all of this Kustom history in his personal files and shares the info with all of us readers. Brad Masterson and Jeff Sled will be there as well, so feel free to drop in and grab some grub.

12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Got the scoop earlier on the Bat Phone ;)

13. heinz51

heinz51

Only 453 miles from Sacto HMMMM yeah, they'll still be open. Hit it!!!!!!!!!!

14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

ETA 11:30pm @ 70 mph :D

15. Kevin .....I don't think I will make it.Sorry man,I told Rik and Palle I wasn't sure if I would make it or not.

16. I'm at walking (!) distance right now as I stays at Embassy Hotel at Firestone blvd. I'll be there with my camera, shooting customs for the Swedish magazine Gasoline.
    See you guys soon!

17. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Damn, foreign dignitaries at the Broiler and I gotta babysit the " Monster inlaw '' :(
    Chow down and enjoy:D

" Meanwhyle, back onboard The Tainted Pork "

18. I just saw Johnny Gee from my hotel window!
    See you soon!!!

Attached Files:

19. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

C'mon Jeff...do you really want me to come pick you up!!??

20. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Good times here at the broiler, Jeff u missed a kool time, Brad said he talked to you ;). Get well soon pal.

21. Sorry about not coming fellas.It was drizzling pretty good over here at about 6:00 and my car is NOT fun to drive in the rain.Im glad you guys had a good time.Palle & Rik...I hope you guys have a safe trip home.Once again Kevin,im sorry.

22. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  23. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Dude, you took my back 25yrs !!!!!!!! Jeff, no sweat, we'll see ya again soon. Palle, Rik,RPW and the rest, Hurry back!!!!!!!!!!

24. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Cruise nite tonite!!!!!! Lets see ya guys out there tonite under the canopy.

25. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I took my dad out to CA for his birthday over the GNRS weekend. We did so many great things and got to spend some fun 'car time' with each other. Anytime I'm in SoCal, I make it a point to hop off the 710 and hit up the Broiler. This trip was no exception. The Broiler has made a lot of people smile and there are a lot of good memories at this place. Chalk up another one!

-Danny

[​IMG]

26. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Got gas
    Thx for coming on out and visiting us again. Jim, Adriene & I are glad to see this.

27. Adriene

Adriene

28. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

29. bryan6902

bryan6902

Coming out this week! Wednesday night is the Cruise Night, correct?

30. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Yes, always a party on Wednesday night @ the Broiler ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.