Register now to get rid of these ads!

what kind of oil pump on 70k miles sbc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kscarguy, Jan 14, 2013.

1. kscarguy

kscarguy

I have the pan off my SBC (I dropped the chain bolt down the distributor hole with intake off). Since the pan is off, I wondered if I should change out the oil pump.

The motor runs fine but when warm the pressure drops to 20 psi. It is a stock 350 crate motor with about 70k mile on it.

High pressure, high volume, new stock or leave it alone and just put it back together?

2. flthead

flthead
    BANNED
    from Midwest

The pump is fine. Bearing clearance dictates oil pressure.

3. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

You could pull a rod and main cap and look at the bearings, if it were me I would put a new pump in, why not? You are there, get a melling Hi volume Hi pressure pump if you are going to do any beating on it, and have piece of mind.

4. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

i am putting a new pump in myself...melling 55A which is standard volume hgher pressure...

5. R Pope

R Pope

A high volume pump will make more pressure at lower RPM. A high pressure pump won't be any different than a stocker if the engine isn't holding the pressure anyway.

6. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

Best pump made for modern performance SBC's.

The 55hv. is a waste of money, a band-aid and can cause drive gear and timing problems.

7. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

So you are saying Melling went to all that trouble to make a band aid pump?I have run them on performance motors for almost 40 years and have never had a timing or drive gear problem.They are only a band aid if you have a problem and ignore it.

8. txturbo

txturbo

I would just clean the pickup and leave the pump alone. You put a new HP pump in and might do more harm than good.

9. rockfish

rockfish

Gotta read better man. No one mentioned a gear drive except you. The previous post talks about the DRIVE GEAR. As in the one that drives the oil pump. Smart ass posts are only funny if they're relevant.

10. Okay, I'll go hop in my dis-Lexus now. :rolleyes:

11. rockfish

rockfish

Just having some fun with ya Wadda :D

12. Nope, nope, nope! You're right, I screwed up and read it wrong. I'm not above (or below) anybody. I don't mind owning up!

All's good man! [​IMG]

13. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

If a particular engine doesn't NEED a higher volume pimp, there are no befits to using one and several reasons not to. It takes work to pimp oil, even if the oil is just bypassing. A high volume pump does increase drive gear wear and so does higher oil pressure. Whether the increased gear wear is obvious again depends on the engine and on oil pressure.

14. :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

15. Leave it alone. Only 70k. 20lbs at idle? No problems. Put it back together.

16. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

That is what I am thinking here too.
    Jay

17. Deuces

Deuces

Low performance big block pump will bolt on also... 60psi at startup.... 45-50 psi when warmed up...;)
    I also like the extra capacity oil filter for pickups on a car motor..
    Like the old AC PF-35's....

18. kscarguy

kscarguy

Anyone know if Melling ever got their quality issues (from around 2007), corrected? I read a lot of post that showed cracked pumps and broken bolts. From what I read, they had changed the casting and used cast bolts and both weakened the pumps.

19. FANTASY FACTORY

FANTASY FACTORY

Heres another .02 from the doing it for 40yrs + crowd, By virtue of its use, an oil pump will not wear out, unless youre running around with little to no oil.
    Tight engine = hi pressure needed
    loose engine = hi volume
    other wise a stock pump is all you need,
    I ran a destroked mopar 340 thru the traps at 9700 with a stock pump and a 10 qt pan for 5 years, changed bearings once, only because i didnt pay for them,
    then did the same thing with a 311 chevy. clean the strainer, and put a washer under the pressure relief, 20 psi at idle hot? sweet!!!

20. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

If you read my first reply I said if you are going to do any serious beating on it.As I have stated I have run them and never had a problem, I also have run stock pumps from Chevrolet and not had a problem,but it sure isn't going to hurt anything except a few horsepower to run one.

21. kscarguy

kscarguy

I talked to a technical rep at Melling..here is what I found out:

They redesigned the SBC pump in 2004. They blamed the issues of "breaking of the casting" on people hammering in the pickup tube while the pumps were bolted to the engine...causing fracturing of the lightweight casting. They also blamed solid motor mounts for the issues.

The stock M-55 pump is still the redesigned "lighter"casting.
    The High Pressure M-55A is the heavier "original" casting and comes with an extra spring to lower the pressure.
    All the Select 10550-10555 performance pumps are the heavier castings

All said...after reading all the blogs and seeing pictures of broken pumps, I am leary of using any of their stuff. I think I will leave my oil pump alone....of course, it is a Melling 55 made before all the changes.