Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Auto racing 1894-1942

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kurtis, Jul 18, 2009.

1. saacha

saacha
    from cloud 9

Memaerobilia, please tell us more about this car, this Junior Racing Association, what engines were they all using, how long did it last?. Fascinating.

2. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Right click and save, Bob!!:D

Here's the side view. Unfortunately it's a small photo. Maybe someone can enlarge it so yourself and some of the other guys can have a shot at identifying the gentlemen.

Attached Files:

3. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Calling Lee Stohr...

I found this photo in Goodwin's Weekly: May 14, 1910.
    I've never seen this before.

Attached Files:

4. memaerobilia

memaerobilia

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  5. saacha

saacha
    from cloud 9

Bugatti 7, have you seen this poster? It hangs on the Bugatti wall of our club, underneath is a glimpse of the original stone guard from the ex Varzi 51 type Bugatti that "Bitito" Mieres GP driver and founding club member owned, and latter donated th stone guard to the club. Will look for the pictue of him racing the car here in Argentina.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  6. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

I am trying to find any information I can about Ben Harper who raced this Essex At Beverly Hills on the board track circa 1919. He is in the mechanics seat and supposedly that is Mack Sennet, the director and actor behind the wheel.

Below is Harper in his cross country Hudson in 1921 that he also raced earlier in California. Check out the interesting post we have up about him on TheOld Motor.com and let us know if you can find any info on Harper.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• SX.jpg
      SX.jpg
      File size:
      59.1 KB
      Views:
  7. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Danke ,Bugatti 7!

BanjeauX Bob

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

NICE! Do you have more detyails on this Bug? Did the use a stock chassis or a modified narrow one? I like the hood louver design. Bob [​IMG]

10. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

In conjunction with Mack Sennet and the Essex S-X racing car in post #8648 and on The Old Motor we have uncovered quite a bit of information on the Essex and Hudson racing cars. Above is all of Hudson's info on the Essex frame that was used as the basis for many smaller racing cars for years.

We also have three pages of Essex articles including one covering the Essex win at Pikes Peak in 1923. You can find it all at TheOldMotor.com including the circa 1920 Mack Sennet slapstick comedy film "Stepping on the Gas" as seen below.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• race.jpg
      race.jpg
      File size:
      22.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  11. saacha

saacha
    from cloud 9

1907 French Grand Prix car. Germain made in Belgium. From the 1907 German Allgemeine Automobil-Zeitung magazine.

Attached Files:

12. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

Ben Jr. and Stu Harper’s Lakester at Muroc Lake 1947: This is one of two photos that we have posted on The Old Motor for Tom Harper whose father Ben and his Uncle Stu built this car and got it to go 120 at Muroc.

We are trying to find out for Tom (who is a 4th generation racer and a stunt man) if this car still exists. Not long after this photo was take it was put on the street and you can see that photo on The Old Motor. I belive I may have seen a photo or two of the car here on the H.A.M.B. before.

We also have two period dry lakes films posted which you are sure to enjoy. Please let us know if you can help.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  13. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

WOW!! I have been following this car/chassis/engine, etc, etc, on the Bugatti Builder forum. The word 'confusion' is an understatement.
    www.bugattibuilder.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=740

I need to get the Conway book...when it's affordable.

14. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

I'll send a PM to JimmyB. He might know this car.

15. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

K....Thanks

16. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Dave, I'm amazed that hardly anyone here {the HAMB main board, not this thread} has any feedback to give on the dry lakes related stuff you have posted as of late. I have seen the threads you started and only some comments. I'm wondering whether this is an actual Hot Rod site.

17. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Maybe its because its Friday????

18. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Nope. Saturday morning here.:D

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Bugatti7, I'm very impressed with all the Bugatti engine and chassis numbers you post with the photos. Was it common for these numbers to be used when the cars were entered in races? Tracing a cars racing history is very interesting to me. Bob

20. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Grand Prix preferably but any of the others will do just fine as long as any one of them are affordable.

While i have your attention Uwe and we are on the subject of Bugatti and lost cars, i have tried to find the history of the T51 '51154' that was owned at one time by Tommy Lee. Is this in the Ralph Lauren collection now?

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

Bugatti7, Is that the exCoverdale Type 50 to the right of the ex- Ralph Lauren Type 51? Is there an ownership list of the Bugattis that one can use to trace former owners? I wonder if I worked on that type 51 as well. Bob

22. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Don Montgomery had a very good book on the early days of dry lakes racing. Lots of pictures.

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Is that website closed? It wouldn't allow me to join. Bob

24. noboD

noboD

25. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

International Bugatti Register:
    here you will find almost everything (but unfortunately with many errors)

http://www.bugattiregister.com

And CLUB APPROVED FAKES

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

Attached Files:

27. Vitesse

Vitesse
    from Bath, UK

Click through to the home page of the Wiki - top right, there's a teeny-tiny link to sign up.

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks! I tried it again and it still claims I'm missing a confirmation code, whatever or were ever that is. Bob :confused: ......... Sure would be nice to know were the old GP cars I worked on are now.

29. memaerobilia

memaerobilia

Hi Bob;
    Computers!!:mad:
    I, too tried several different ways to try to register a new account, on that Bugatti site, with no luck They demand you copy the "captcha" code, to verify you are not spammer etc, fairly common, these days on forums... but there IS NO CAPTCHA code to be seen or found.:confused:

I also gave up on one of our favorite parts of the BJ auction, with the Haggerty Fantasy bidding. It is obviously working for some. But would not accept any of my bids, despite my persistence of hitting the BID button about 20 times over five minutes time.

*Meanwhile here is another shot of the Golden Submarine history, just to keep this post about early auto racing:)

Attached Files:

30. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

[​IMG]

Driver Dave Lewis and mechanician Waldo Stein, presumably at (old) Ascot Speedway for a 150-miler on March 23, 1919. They were flagged after 138 miles for 6th place, losing a lot of time with "continuous tire trouble". Roscoe Sarles in a Roamer=Duesenberg won by one single second from Eddie Hearne in a Chevrolet=Stutz, a sensationally small gap for the era, and for a difference in prize money of $1,250 - lots of dough in those days!