Register now to get rid of these ads!

DIY Spray On Chrome

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nicamarvin, Feb 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

And yes, pro double spray gun is coming to my home! Hope it will works well! Expensive tool-500$ :(

2. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

no problemo amigo..

I managed to spray chrome on a Hight Heat pipe(video on this thread) but I hade tu use high heat coating as based. let it cure on the bike for 2 days, spray chorme it and then clear coat it. it will smell funny for a few days but it will hold. thats for high high heat. but for 200 C I believe normal 2k Urethane can take that kind of heat

3. Jimjr44

Jimjr44
    from 04474

What chemicals do I buy,where, and what order do I use them?

4. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

read the thread man---then u can make your own judgement

5. Essex Iron

Essex Iron
    from UK

At the minute my time is very limited I have only managed a couple of sessions with the angel guilding chemicals following your instructions.
    I have tried spraying plastic spoons and some steel and aluminium brackets.
    I have found that the steel and aluminium chrome up better than the plastic spoons.
    The only trouble I have had so far is with the edges and narrow sides of the brackets they dont take on the silver and stay black :(
    I have used wetting agent I have only so far tried wiping it on next time i will try diluting and spraying it on.

Thanks again Nicamarvin for all the information you have put on here :)

6. Essex Iron

Essex Iron
    from UK

Have you tried your sensitizer with the AG chemicals?

7. Essex Iron

Essex Iron
    from UK

The AG concentrate has 2 grams of stannous chloride to 98ml of H2o

8. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Hi Essex_Iron!

Long time no posts from u!

I found that AG sensitizer is weak , to weak! It go wrong after 3-4 days and i think i`ll never buy it again!
    (Not all fail is for AG, because shipping time is +/-14 days, u know lot of plains, hot, cold, hot cold, and this is the reason)
    Now I`m testing new formula for sensitizer, much much stronger and I dont need wetting agent! Maybe :D !!! I need to make some tests more but it looks that sensitizer works perfect.
    And Essex-Iron - if u use Stannous Chloride use not only SnCl2, but SnCl2 dyhidrate, its better!

9. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

thi is gebrish to most posters here...

10. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Yes, but some users understand about what we talk about!

11. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Nicamarvin i try to find 2k urethane or polyurethane paint today! I was in 5 paint shops, in 2 car painting garages and NOTHING! In my city isnt color like this! I buy sample of 1k alkyd paint! I paint some parts, Tomorrow will see result!

12. Essex Iron

Essex Iron
    from UK

Been very very busy am hoping to get down to the spray shop this week for another go with the AG chemicals.
    I have some SNC12 not sure if its dyhidrate.
    Your sensitizer sounds good sudzhis is it just SNC12 or are there other secret ingredients in the mix? :D
    Am looking forward to more photos of your work.

13. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Hi!

There is little more than only SnCl2. SnCl2 cant wet surface! Im testing right now! In my garage isnt any part that isnt silvered ha ha ha! For now I found that cheap ceramic dishes is very good test objects :) some plates, mugs is perfect and price is less than 1$ :)

I will make some photos maybe today!

14. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Nicamarvin, i so that on web always is "sensitizer Gun" !!! Is there some difference between
    standard spray gun and sensitizer spray gun! I think this is standard spray gun? Maybe u know!

15. neicurobert

neicurobert
    from romania

Hi all! i will share you all my problems.My pain is millions tinny bubbles in the clear coat.Please help me!

Attached Files:

16. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

But silver looks ok? If is some small bubble on silver, before clear coat, than u know- clear coat is like microscope it shows all smallest problems!

If silver is OK, than try to dry it, if it not help then just get some better clear coat!

17. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

I would like to spare joe hotrodder of this gibrish talk. lets keep any scientific terms to P.M ok

18. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

Oh boy..! Alkyd is the Worst paint for spray on chrome :(

19. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

YESSS, from today I know it ha ha :) :D

20. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

I´ve try them all. Alkyd, Oil, wood polyurethane. wood lacquer, lacquer. enamel, uerethane.

21. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

I try it only because i cant get 2k urethane! This was cheap i take some small can! I think i just buy some white 2k base and 2k clear coat all must be ok! But how i know, clear coat is acrylic too!

I will try to find 2k urethane tomorrow, but it seems impossible!

22. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

could be impossible on that side of the world. seeing how Nicaragua and the USA are close to each other we use the same term industrial/automotive coatings..

your best bet would be to ask it like this. I want a glossy black automotive(for new cars) paint that has a ratio of 2.2.1. that is 2 parts paint. 1 part diluter(to dilute the paint) and 1 part catalizer... or just say. I want to color match a new honda black color. they(automotive paint supplier) will understand what you are talking about... why? because when you are color matching(spot rapair) you want to use same kind of paint.

23. neicurobert

neicurobert
    from romania

i have tested urethane clear coat(not from sherin williams) like base and top coat but nothing. in time the clear coat peel off.i discover the epoxy clear is better for first hand on the silver.it will stick much better,follow urethane clear on the top.i tested all good urethane clear(dupont,standox,glasurit,ppg etc.nothing.the clear wont stay in good adhesion to the silver . i try to do it right from 2009 to now but i have done hundredth of tests nothing but problems.

24. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

maybe you should try what works for me. that would be a good start

here flexible chrome
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6FJCpt1vESA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

25. neicurobert

neicurobert
    from romania

26. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

again. we are both using different coating and different chemicals, you should try what works for me.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RbaNhW4LKx8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edit. we are also using different methods, you use compressed air. I dont. my process is 100% clean. compressed air is not good for spray on chrome

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  27. ngocdong2001

ngocdong2001
    from Vietnam

Me too, the best I've got till now is "2K Acrylic polyuretane clear".

28. neicurobert

neicurobert
    from romania

And how do you clear coat it?

29. neicurobert

neicurobert
    from romania

[

Edit. we are also using different methods, you use compressed air. I dont. my process is 100% clean. compressed air is not good for spray on chrome[/QUOTE]

30. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Hi!

Today i find 2k polyurethane paint! This was last shop in my city and on the other side of city! ha ha! Forget name, but price was +/- 55$ one litter. In shop they said, that paint works perfect! Will see, today I will make some tests

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.