Register now to get rid of these ads!

original colors for 1950 ford?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deeznuts, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Deeznuts

Deeznuts

We are doing a frame off on a 1950 Ford convertible for a customer who had one in the early 50's. It was a light green color and he wants this one the same color. The PPG store that I deal with is no help at all. Any ideas beside tcpglobal.com as to where I can find color charts or codes for the original colors? Thanks for any help!

2. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

3. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

My 49 Fleetline may well be painted that light green you are talking about. It was called Palisade Green by Ford in 1950. I certainly don't have a formula, nor do I have a number, but I was able to find it in an old book at one of the local auto paint stores here in Mesa .. Space Age Paint. Here's a pic of my 49 so you can determine if it's the right color.

Attached Files:

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I'm no painter but I've always had a hard time finding paint the color that I want. It has always been off.

I ordered paint from these guys and it is a perfect match to the paint under my front fender. I've had this problem all my adult life. A paint store uses a formula to mix old car colors so you are at the mercy of the 18 YO tech that mixes it. I will always buy my old car paint from them from now on. I have been so frustrated in the past that I have to speak up when someone comes through. I've only done the firewall so far but it came out great. BCCC.

6. Go to a different Jobber..... they can make a phone call and get a formula sent to them. Sounds like they dont want to work for your money.

7. greazy john

greazy john

tcpglobal then find a different jobber , my ppg jobber uses them sometimes for cross reference

8. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

That tcpglobal site is great! Thanks for posting the link Don.

9. I tried that not once but twice,,I was disappointed twice.

The only saving grace was my second experience I was only out a quart of paint,,I'll use tcpglobal in the future. HRP

10. Deeznuts

Deeznuts

I was just curious if there were any other colors or charts that tcpglobal didnt have for that year. We mixed the green that they show on the chart and the owner says thats not what he had in. I will look a little further. Thanks for all your help guys!

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I had a light green 50 Ford convertible, and that is the color I remember it being. It could be that your customer has just forgotten what the shade actually looked like, or maybe it was a repaint in a slightly different shade. Ford didn't offer a bunch of different colors back then, as you can see on the chart.

Don

12. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I'm no paint expert, but I do know that it will look different "in the can". Did you spray a test panel?

13. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

So I went to the local Dupont dealer and looked through their paint chips. I went with a dark green "fleet color" I took the book outside to look in the sunlight. I made my selection He mixed it up I and took it back to the shop. I popped the top off and almost shit my self. I immediately took it back and had him compare the chip to the paint. I asked the guy does this look close to the chip in the book? No. so he took me in the back and added a bunch of black to get it somewhere close to the color I chose. This is not a John Deere.:D The yellow is actually Apple Green. It looks a hell of a lot better in person. I don't know if it's my camera or not.

I love the 50 Ford "pea green" I thought it was sea foam green but a buddy bought a coupe that color and it looks great!!!.

14. atomickustom

atomickustom

Google is your friend:
    http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?manuf=Ford&year=1950

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/choosecolor/choosecolor.aspx?year=1950&make=ford&model=All Models

http://compare.ebay.com/like/190560569146?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Those are the only colors I have ever seen in any Ford literature. If it was light green it has to be either Palisade Green (the greyish one) or Sportsman's Green (the yellowish one).
    I've seen more hardtops and convertibles in the Sportsman's Green. That would be the one I would guess is right.

15. Gator

Gator

Part of the problem might be the guys memory - maybe he 'remembers' it being a different shade of green than it actually was...

If that's the case I'd just pull a few chips in the shade of green he remembers it being and let him choose one.

16. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

You may wanna look for the build tag on that schewbaux, usually PNT and a numper on the tag for the correct colour.
    People's recall and the real world ain't always one and the same! When you/they ''think'' you've found the correct colour, be sure to do a spray out on a larger panel than a paint chip;) Once the sample is fully dry show it to the client in full sunlight, and have them sign off on ''their'' selection:D C.Y.A.

" The customer is always right, but sometimes wrong "

17. Do you have a sample color of the paint or has it all been striped. off. If you have a clean sample just take it to your favorite body shop and have them take a picture color shot with there camera. It will spit out the formula. Works great but you need a sample at least 5 in square or so.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  18. mr50s

mr50s

Hey Deeznuts,

If you're attempting to restore your customer's 1950 Ford convertible back to fully stock condition, you need to be able to determine Ford's original name for the paint color the car had before going to your paint supplier.

You can do this by copying down the factory "Cowl Code" characters which have been stamped into the curved cowl sheetmetal above the pinchweld which joins the cowl with the vertical firewall. One of the letters appearing in this Cowl Code tells us accurately how the car was painted when it first left the assembly plant.

When you post this code here on the H.A.M.B., I can use Ford factory information that I have to decode the answer you need.

mr50s

19. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

My brother had a 50 Ford in the early 70`s. It was the origional maroon color from the factory. I dont remember what the numbers were etc. but I will never forget my dad buying can after can of the small Duplicolor aerosol spray paint cans and painting that whole car with them ! I am still trying to figure out what he was thinking.He wasnt much on working on cars.I think he just thought it was some kind of challenge.

20. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI